Pen and telllers show BS

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by ~silent~serenity~, May 3, 2007.

1. ~silent~serenity~

~silent~serenity~ Member

Has anyone seen it? I watched an episode on recycling the other night. There arguement is that it takes more energy and resources to recycle than to just make more....(plastic in this case) The only recycling they claim to be worth while at all was aluminum cans. What do yall think about this?
    They also seemed to be glorifying landfills for some reason or another...Any way...please weigh in....Is recycling BS or Not?

2. ~silent~serenity~

~silent~serenity~ Member

huh...no one wants to weigh in huh....

3. dead_head_0000

dead_head_0000 Member

I love that show! I havn't seen this episode yet, hope it will be on again soon!

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Member

He's either trying to shake people up by coming up with an overly right-wing (Colbert Report-esq) prospective on things OR, look in to who's funding the show.

5. ~silent~serenity~

~silent~serenity~ Member

I'm just sayin...have any of us done the research...or do we recycle because we just think it's the right thing to do. I don't get the show on tv...I rented the episodes from the video store =)

6. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Those guys are definately not your definative right wingers.

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

You need to look at Japan. It may cost more but if you are limited as far as space/living on an island and wish to continue to live there, you learn to recycle, in order to permit your way of life to continue. Not everything can be purchased by the purveyor of the cheapest goods.

8. PoisonedPenny

PoisonedPenny Member

I saw the episode awhile back. I really like Penn and Teller. I think they're pretty straight up when it comes to things. I think they made a bunch of valid points in the recycling episode. When it costs more resources recycling something than just making a new one I think that deserves questioning.

9. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Were they only looking at current costs or did they ever bother to look at long term costs? You also have to look at disposal. Are you willing to live in your own waste?

10. PoisonedPenny

PoisonedPenny Member

I honestly have no idea. I saw the episode awhile ago, and all the stuff they spouted kinda bounced out of my brain. I remember the part about using more resources, and I remember that aluminum is the only "cost effective" recycling out there. And I remember a couple of other juicy tidbits. I still think recycling is good. I mean, just because it's not cost effective doesn't mean that reducing the amount of waste found on the planet isn't still a good idea.

11. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

so, they are either agreeing with you, or they're coroporate shills..... hehehe that's the funniest thing i've read all day... daym man.