Pell Grant

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by *Doormouse, Jan 6, 2005.

1. *Doormouse

*Doormouse Member

Hey all, I just got my Student Aid Report and I apparently didn't qualify for the pell grant. Now, I qualify for food stamps, but I can't get federal aid?
    I was just curious how much your income is if you got the pell grant, I don't want to pry I just want to compare. Our family of three lives off of less than 30k a year, poverty level.
    So I'm a little frustrated and I'd just like to see how it went down for the rest of you.

thank you

2. *Doormouse

*Doormouse Member

nobody?! o well. in other news some punk broke into my van and took my cd player, wouldn't have pissed me off so much had it not had my favourite moe. cd in it. bummer

3. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I get Pell Grants, but I'm in a household of 4 living on less than $25 K.

That sucks about you CD player.... :(

Have you looked into any scholarships? FastWeb lists a ton of them.

4. jay

jay Member

household of 5 at about 20k a year

5. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i'm pretty sure i qualify. household income is negative twenty thousand something per year.

6. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I got the full amount of the pell grant because last year my family of 4 had a household income of $6000. The year before that it was less than that.

Structural unemployment sucks.

7. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Really sucks when a person wants an education and money has to be a barrier for them. What a crazzzzyyyyy world we live in.

8. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

But if you want to kill someone, that will get you that education, be it in prison or the military

9. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Actually, on second thought, did you fill out a CSS file and/or FAFSA? You can't get any federal aid without filling out FAFSA no matter how much you need it.

10. lynsey

lynsey Banned

how old are you? I got zero financial aide when I was considered a dependent but last year when I was an independent I got a pell grant, 10k in academic and communiity scholarships and about another 10 thousand in university and state grants. I only went one semester so I got half of the offers and I so needed it. maybe lie on your fafsa a bit?

11. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Wow, what a horrible suggestion!!!

They look at your taxable income and number of dependents. That is easily verifiable through government agencies (and they do regular "random" verification procedures to check). So if your fafsa better match your tax documents!

Look through your fafsa to see if you were listed as dependent. I don't think age should matter, because there is a set of questions that determine dependent/independent status, and I think one of those is if you have children (regardless of age).

Also, check out your school's estimated cost of attendance -- includes tuition and "reasonable" room & board (basically about what it would cost to live in student housing and be on a meal plan). The difference between your income (so estimated family contribution) and that estimated cost of attendance is what determines your award package. So, I wouldn't be surprised that you didn't get a pell grant offer if you're going to a relatively cheap state university, where tuition is only like $4,000 or so a year. Unfortunately, the estimated cost of attendance often does not include a reasonable amount for off-campus room & board.

12. lynsey

lynsey Banned

they never check your taxes...I know it's horrible but I was also cut off financially because it took so long to get through school and I couldn't afford 10k a year for tuition on a 32 thousand dollar a year job...

UOTE=dawn_sky]Wow, what a horrible suggestion!!!

They look at your taxable income and number of dependents. That is easily verifiable through government agencies (and they do regular "random" verification procedures to check). So if your fafsa better match your tax documents!

Look through your fafsa to see if you were listed as dependent. I don't think age should matter, because there is a set of questions that determine dependent/independent status, and I think one of those is if you have children (regardless of age).

Also, check out your school's estimated cost of attendance -- includes tuition and "reasonable" room & board (basically about what it would cost to live in student housing and be on a meal plan). The difference between your income (so estimated family contribution) and that estimated cost of attendance is what determines your award package. So, I wouldn't be surprised that you didn't get a pell grant offer if you're going to a relatively cheap state university, where tuition is only like $4,000 or so a year. Unfortunately, the estimated cost of attendance often does not include a reasonable amount for off-campus room & board.[/QUOTE]

13. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Don't feel bad, I don't qualify for even loans. Tough reality when you realize you can't go to school when you graduate in the top of your class. But if you can't afford to start school in August, don't be bummed. I've taken my first year out of high school off and may be looking at more. But I can tell you firsthand, if you're dead serious about school, apply for everything you can right now. Scholarships you qualify for, those you don't, grants, loans...and if it doesn't amount at time of payment, see if your school provides emergency aid or a payment plan. Don't give up. If all else fails, apply for any and every job you can find and work. Unless it's absolutely unbearable, do not quit. Work your ass off and save up so you do have a chance. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't give up. Don't lose that drive, it's really hard to rediscover.