Peeves with technology

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by la Principessa, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

.....or headphones

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I have never really had an issue adapting to new technology, even though I didn't use it (by "it" I mean phones and computers, etc.) much until my later teen years. I find most of it intuitive and easy to learn. I don't get overwhelmed by learning new things or incorporating technology into my life--in fact it has made so many things infinitely easier. After I got an MP3 player, for instance, I no longer had to spend several hours burning mixed CDs or recording cassettes. The internet has saved me hundreds of dollars on shopping, on simple self-diagnosing of unfamiliar but innocuous maladies that might have otherwise resulted in a visit to the ER.

While there are obviously dangers to technology and certain scientific progress, I don't think the drawbacks outweigh the positives. Like anything else, tech needs to be used intelligently and judiciously. I think a large part of the fear of new tech comes from a lack of understanding or a avoidance of change--an apprehension as timeless as humanity itself.

And this is coming from a semi hippie who spends most of her time outside and makes a point never to check her phone while in the company of others "face to face." Life is about balance.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

One of the peeves with technology I see on the horizon, to some extent already here is the relinquishing of anonymity in favor of (perceived) safety. Passcodes are now offered with thumbprints and facial recognition.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I never liked vinyl but before CD's it was the best form of recorded music. How good the cartridge in your could make a huge difference to the sound. I am at loss to explain the resurgence in the popularity of vinyl. These days as soon as I buy a CD , I copy it straight onto a hard drive and on another hard drive.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Vinyl is old school and retro, so it's popular amongst young people.

6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Vinyl is better for the high end, but you don't want to play one more than once in 24 hours because it softens the plastic.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a cheap player attached to cheap speakers. One day when I buy a proper unit it'll be good. I don't listen to my vinyl much but I like collecting it when I can such as, it's a reprint, but the record store has the original War of the Worlds, and I think that's cool.

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Think I have that in my attic somewhere.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Electricity. Turn it off.

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Well. At least now and again. I like to have periods with everything turned off at the mains. I have no theory but it feels like a good idea to me. Sometimes I freak out at the power electricity can generate with it just coursing through the walls around me. IDK. I'm weird like that.