Peeves with technology

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by la Principessa, Jun 28, 2018.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I'm a millenial. But I sometimes get annoyed with new tech constantly coming out. I literally can't keep up. I used to use one phone for years and now they straight up admit they make phones shitty so you have to buy a new one every year. It's so greedy these days. I feel old when I say I miss my CD player and my razr phone, and basic old AOL where you could choose a celeb's voice to tell you that you have mail. I'm feeling nostalgic today.

I thought it would be fun to post your peeves about tech.

Asmodean and bluewatersurfer like this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I love tech especially music tech but they seem to be pumping out product we don't really need. Obviously manufacturers need to continue to make money in a Capitalist society but built in obsolescence is annoying and wasteful. I don't really see how smartphones TVs and other gadgets can progress much further so unless some wholly new revolutionary thing comes on the market this is basically it. Take the Fender Stratocaster guitar for example. Although it comes in slightly varying editions it is essentially perfect in design and can't be improved upon. It will be produced in that form for as long as there is civilization. I think other products will get to the same point.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  3. la Principessa

I sure hope so. Aside from computer contact lenses where you can watch tv or some crazy shit, I don't know what else they could do with it.

I kind of don't see the point of smart tv aside from using netflix or Hulu. I especially don't like the Chromecast option. I am always clicking it when I'm watching YouTube by accident. When you live with other people the last thing you want is to fall into a hole on the weird side of YouTube and click that Chromecast button and broadcast it for everyone in your house lol

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont miss CDs/ CD players, stupidest things ever invented.

And they were marketed as indestructible when they first came out, what a load of shit that was.

I'd go back to cassettes before Id go back to CDs

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

As for phones, dont buy $1000 phones, problem solved

6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The high tech industry comprehends the problem and, within three years, almost every chip manufactured will include AI circuitry. They are making the gadgets and everything else smarter, because studies have indicated that the American public is getting dumber, and the technology is becoming cheap.

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Watch out for 5G.

Many qualified doctors and scientists are seriously worried about the frequency bandwidth they are going to use. Could pose serious danger to human health and they're not doing any trials. Lots of conspiracy nut vids on YouTube but there seems like there is some truth to this one.

8. wooleeheron

What everyone is interested in right now is terahertz radiation, which is between microwave and infrared. It can penetrate walls and NYC already has plans to provide up to 2tb/s service to a family of four, or enough bandwidth for everyone to stream two different 4k movies each. Its basically infrared light that is so weak about all it will do is raise the room temperature ever so slightly. At least, that's the theory, but nobody has ever had a chance to actually play with terahertz radiation much before. It could have some idiosyncratic problems with specific frequencies or whatever that they need to get straight. However, its definitely better than playing around with high frequency microwaves. Since it only requires a special lightbulb and is invisible to the naked eye, it would be amazingly cheap and easy to install and operate, with optics often being thousands and millions of times faster and more efficient than electricity and electronics.

It could also be about ten years in the future, so we'll have to wait and see. Forget about 5G networks and all that crap, which is nothing more than the telecommunications industry using the cheapest available technology to gouge the public for more money. They even complained at one point in the mass media that they were running out of bandwidth, because they are complete idiots. I had to point out to one of them that you could install wi-fi in every lamp post in the country if you wanted to and end the debate right now. The only bandwidth they were running out of was what bandwidth they could exploit as cheaply and quickly as humanly possible with the current technology.

These are soulless corporations, oligopolies and monopolies, who only care about how much money they can make in a deregulated market. Comcast had a gigabit per second system they developed that works over their existing cables, but never brought it out until other companies started installing gigabit internet in cities. Actually upgrading the system more than they have to is simply not on the table, because they are in it for the money first, and technology can be a distant second. They tend to each adopt a different strategy towards seeing how far they can break the law with, for example, Verizon getting nailed repeatedly for fucking with the lineman's union and for failing to provide their customers with the service they promised to provide, so the state would license them, because they could not do maintenance properly without actual people to work on the telephone lines.

Sometimes, its cheaper for them to take it through the courts and drag it out than to pay the costs up front, because they want to break the union or whatever and are in it for the long run. If unions get any weaker in the US they will have to invent new terms for them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My only real peeve is that I let it take up too much of my time. You have no idea how much i want to take a long break and get back to my painting full time......so the only thing I need to do is to just stop turning on my computer and get back to the painting.....but turning on the computer is like stepping into quicksand that does not let one leave ever.....lol

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There isnt such a thing as qualufied doctors or scientists though is there.

None that will be able to prove anything convincingly until 5G has been around for a couple decades

11. la Principessa

Every internet company does it. The one I have now promises 50 mbps and if I'm lucky I can get 10 right next to the router and maybe 1 in my bedroom. You have them come out to look at it and they blame the wiring and charge you to redo it and then shrug their shoulders when it still doesn't work. Then they tell you to upgrade your service. It's like they think we don't know they cap our services at a certain point to persuade people to pay more for the same garbage.

I wish I didn't love the internet so much or I'd say fuck it. Go live in a cave or something lol

12. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

My smart phone is a $20 one. I remember the days of dial phones 8 track players. Tube radios. Ect.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

One peeve I have is automated messaging systems when you need to talk to an actual rep. I get quite frustrated going through a 10 minute roundabout of button pushing to finally get someone on the line.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  14. wooleeheron

Some call it a telephone maze, as if we are all lab rats in an experiment being conducted by aliens in the Twilight Zone.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If its a voice response just start yelling representative at the phone. That usually works for me

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Planned obsolescence is definitely one of my pet peeves! Happily if you watch it you can make a lot of stuff last longer, but yeah if it takes time, effort AND skill, and you seem one of the only ones busy with it, it can get kind of difficult. Its rewarding though, and useful to be verbal about. Some people still think they get a free phone every year with their subscription lol (they're actually paying for it themselves with their monthly fee)

17. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

My peeve is having to carry a phone. I'm planning on getting a cellular apple watch and ditching the iPhone.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Planned obsolescence?

Considering what they are , tiny computers packed into a phone, not mucj room for heat dissipation. How often we use them, drop them

I'm not really surprised they only last a couple of years.

I have two phones, a more expensive one and a cheaper one mainly for work. If those, my last one was an LG, lasted 6 years, then a cheap samsung for $180. Good value compared to what we had to pay for desktop PCs 20 years ago.

A $180 phone, maybe it will last 4 years, i think thats awesome.

20 years ago, it was $500 for a camera, $1000 for a PC, $100 for a watch, $200 for a CD player......etc etc

guerillabedlam likes this.
  19. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you are at a noisy public place and you need to make a phone call , would you rather use a public payphone or the phone you carry with you?

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My mobile phone?