Paulo Coelho?

Discussion in 'Portuguese' started by iSiS, Aug 19, 2005.

1. iSiS

iSiS Member

Oi, saudacoes!

Qualquer um aqui leu Paulo Coelho's O Alchemist? Um favorito de o meu!

Perdoe-me, nao falo muito portugues =/
    Algum da minha familia e portugues, mas eu nao falo muito bem esta em America! (Texas, U.S.A.)

paz,

-iSiS

2. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

hi, sorry i don't speak portugese, but who's this paulo coelho?
    i saw the guy on a talkshow yesterday, turns out he's very famous and popular too
    and i found out now that he's a great writer and his parents tried to place him in a mental
    institution, though nothing seemed to be wrong :)
    anyway thanks to my fantastic latin i was able to translate one phrase: 'one of my favorites' so why do you think he's so great? just curious...

3. iSiS

iSiS Member

no problem! I speak english perfectly =) You should read Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist"!! It's a story about following your dreams...very inspirational. It's hard for me to describe without spoiling the book! I was just curious if anyone else has read it. All that other stuff about Coelho you saw on TV, I had no idea about!

I just had to post something here even though my portuguese is embarassingly rusty, this is a good opportunity to practice. As for Latin, that was clever of you! I took Latin 2 yrs in highschool & hardly remember anything except famous quotes & survival phrases. haha.

peace (paz)

-iSiS

4. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

oh right should have seen 'west texas' (we should really not be posting here ;))
    i'll read 'the alchemist', sounds interesting, thanks for the advice
    i really should read more, i guess i just didn't want to be reminded of school
    -they make us read way too many books-
    so where did you learn portuguese? hehe seems difficult
    i'm practicing some of my languages (german, french, latin and ancient greek) too by the way (afraid i'll become dumb)

5. migle

migle Senior Member

ok, i'm not portuguese too, it seems that they went all on vacation. Anyway, it's worthwhile to read some more of their books:
    Veronika decides to die.
    Brida.
    Eleven minutes.
    and of course The Alchemist, he's a great writer although i don't agree with their happy ideas about the order and the harmony of the universe and all that creepy optimism.
    Anyway, you can read The Alchemist from Coelho and then read "Siddharta" form Hermann Hesse and compare.

6. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

will do, thnx

7. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Oi :) Hello!

Welcome to this forum! Both of you, Isis and Hippieseba! :) Never mind about your portuguese, I guess everyone here understands if you write in english instead...
    I did read The Alchemist... and a few other books from Paulo Coelho... When people ask me about him, my answer is always the same ('till now, lol)... At the beggining I felt fascinated, I loved the magic that his books transmited... Then, I started to read more and in comparison to some other writers I think he's not that good... I might be wrong, of course, but I get the feeling that the message he's spreading through his books is the message people want immediately,it is not as deep as it seems, but it sells... In spite of that, I feel happy that he's so known, because I think the portuguese language literature is very, very interesting and rich... And though Paulo Coelho is not one of my favourite writers at all, I really like one of his books, the one Migle refered, Veronica decides to die. He really tells people they should be free. Common people can be free, you see.
    Yeah, read "Siddharta" from Herman Hesse... It is quiet good...
    And... if you want to enjoy the portuguese language literature... Hmmm, here are some tips:
    - Capitães da Areia, Jorge Amado (from Brazil... the translation is "Captains of the sands")
    - O último voo do flamingo , Mia Couto (from Mozambique... the translation is "The last flight of the flamingo")
    - Bichos, Miguel Torga (from Portugal ... the translation is something like "animals")

Paz***

8. stoney69

stoney69 Member

always come close to pickin up another of coelho's book, but turn away to keep the image of alchemist. brilliant read!

9. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

i guess different people have different visions on his books
    but i'll try to read all these recommended books :) i'm sure i'll learn something from them
    good for my languages too, not that i'm going to learn portuguese right away (that would be my 7th language :d) but i'll read the english translations, wich will improve my english
    thanks for the advice
    paz

10. migle

migle Senior Member

Well, Ayesha recommends Veronika decides to die, and i also do, but i didn't like it. I mean it's a very very very really nice but i don't agree with the message, he says that the schizophrenia is like a nice and fantastic disease, becuase crazy people are happy because they live in their own world and a lot of that kind of shit. I don't think that anybody who knows what schizophrenia is can tell the same.
    As a friend of mine told once: "Paulo Coelho sucks a lot of cocks."
    This is very hard but it means that he always give the message that everybody wants to read. And i think that he is an excellent writer because it's very difficult to give everyone what they want to read and it makes him a very good writer, but i don't agree with that philosophy.
    And I also recommend the books from José Saramago, any of them, it's not very long since i started to read his books and they are surprising.

11. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Primeiro que tudo, um beijo especial para o Migle ... Desculpa, eu sei que estou em falta contigo! :( Ai, ai...

Yes, of course, in "Veronika decides to die" people can get the feeling that schizophrenia is easy to deal (and to feel)... Unfortunately it is not... not at all, actually. :( The way he describes it (and other psichological disturbs) is full of fantasy, it looks like it is as simple as a game. The hospital where the action takes place isn't real neither.
    On the other hand, the book speculates a lot about the way common people are locked inside themselves... And all the problems and frustrations this situation brings... The lesson is that you shouldn't be afraid of you really are, you should free your spirit, explore your fantasies, your wishes, your desires, without being afraid of what the society expects from you... That's very nice. :)

12. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

that's one beautiful message!

13. migle

migle Senior Member

yes, it's a beautiful message, but he still sucks cocks, many of them :p

uop, this my first night at work and i'm pissed, sorry... don't take me too seriously.

P.S: Ayesha, sabes perfectamente que no tienes porqué pedir disculpas, eres una persona muy especial y nada va a cambiar eso, además, las vacaciones están para disfrutar y pasarlo bien, no para preocuparse. Tudos os meus beijos. ;)

14. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Oh, todos os meus beijos para ti também ... :p Hehehehehe!

15. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

woohoo just bought 'the alchemist' :)

16. iSiS

iSiS Member

thanks for all the feedback! And for the other portuguese author suggestions, I'll definitely check them out. SIDDHARTHA is one of my favorite books as well! I will be back in a few weeks hopefully. Maybe o praticar portugues? I have finals next week & then my 2 wk break from school so I won't be on the forums until I go back to school probably. Nice meeting you all, glad to know of others who enjoyed The Alchemist.

paz,

iSiS

17. hippieseba

hippieseba Member

at page 50 of the alchemist now, and already i don't like the way paulo coelho writes :D
    he really does give way too many details and grammatical mistakes
    but i like the story though

18. tartaruga

tartaruga Member

1º- o paulo coelho é brasileiro...
    2º- Falem em portugues!!!!!

19. Emperial

Emperial Member

I don’t like Paulo Coelho, think it’s to much blablabla. “If you know what I mean”
    Check out this site about Portugal it’s not bad www.portugalalive.blogspot.com

20. MollyBloom

MollyBloom Member

lol. I've never heard creepy and optimism put together in a phrase. :p