Paula Deen's Racism Scandal

Discussion in 'People' started by Aerianne, Jun 25, 2013.

1. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

You got that right. When did American's become so touchy? I watch episodes of All in the Family and even find myself saying...oh my, did you hear Archie call that guy a chink? I guess back in the 70's people werent as uptight as they are now. Either way, they are still only words. Kinda feel bad for that lady. But, I am sure she has enough money to live. now excuse me while I hit the local Walmart for a Paula Deen butter cake....oh wait.....

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

She said it in 2007 but it wasn't really about what she said. She lost endorsements because of her legal troubles.

and by the way guys, its not okay to be racist in 2007 in the south. I've heard so many people use the "its just the way she was brought up" excuse, but both sides of my family are old school southern, polite and genteel and completely stereotypical, and no one in my family has ever used the word ******. My mom is only a few years younger than Paula and she said her mom would have washed her mouth out with soap if she ever used a racial slur.

I don't personally care if Paula Dean or anyone else uses the word ******. I've certainly heard a lot of people use the word in the south. Its annoying but not worth getting outraged over. I just hate how people are trying to excuse her because she's from the south. Its not acceptable here and the people that still use that word are usually considered white trash, ignorant, and generally lacking in class all around.

also, just to add - most of the people I hear using the word around here are northern transplants.

3. My names Cory

My names Cory Senior Member

Never liked Paula Deen or her cooking...so unhealthy.
    I definitely understand why Anthony Bourdain doesn't like her lol.

As for the scandal...I'm neutral ha/

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Paula Deen and her lawyers are now citing Prop 8 in an effort to have her racial discrimination case dismissed.

So what? She's already ruined.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/paula-deen-hollingsworth-v-perry_n_3530174.html

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

^^^Absolutely right! (particularly the bolded part)

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Thank goodness (on the bolded part)...when a person brings their racism and prejudice into the work place, especially when they are the owners, it is quite different than saying it outside of work imo.

And I must say that I'm quite surprised that so many people (here at hf) don't see the difference between what a person says on their personal time and what is said/done in a work environment.

P Deen is a total embarrassment to me, a white woman from the south.

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Isn't their other stuff going on though...employees saying they were discriminated against or some kinda of abuse?

8. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

To my knowledge there is the one employee, an ex-manager, saying there was sexual harassment and a hostile work environment which included innuendo and racial slurs. Perhaps others have been questioned and more stuff has come out, but I'm not aware of it.

She would not be getting sued if this had happened w a y back in the days of whenever. Plus everybody seems to be totally focused on her using the racial slurs (which should never be in a work enviroment by the owner...duh) and the sexual harassment is not even being discussed. < I'm really interested in finding out about that, too.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

yeah, I don't know why that's not the bigger deal.

10. Aerianne

Y'all saw what I posted? Now she's claiming that Ms. Jackson has no legal right to be offended by the racial slurs because she is a white woman herself.

Damn it. I'm offended, Paula... I am a bred and born Atlanta native...white as the driven snow, but I do take offense to racial slurs.

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

No, I haven't seen that! WTH! PD just keeps getting more and more stupid, and/or her "people" do one. gad...what if this woman has a bi-racial child and/or has a partner that isn't white? maybe that would qualify her?

I agree with you, Aeri...I'm white as white-bread, was born in Atlanta and lived in SC since I was around 4 yrs old. AND derogatory racist jokes and racial slurs highly offend me.

12. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I honestly don't care much about Paula Deen (I do have her cookware set though, too bad we got it when it was full price because I hear they're on sale now) but I do think the whole thing was kind of blown out of proportion.

If this was a black guy saying stuff about white people, no fucks would be given.

13. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

Sadly, I think you are absolutely right!

14. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

15. weeattoes

weeattoes what will be, will be

I am mutual on the Paula Deen thing... but I find it weird and kinda horrible that they would want black people dressed as slaves at her brothers wedding.. but at the same time if people would do that then that would be all on them.

I am from the south, though i do not live in the South anymore the only time i heard the "N-word" being used were between blacks and whites wanting to be blacks together. Other than that, it was offensive. I was not raised as a racist or to use racial slurs and no one in my family does either. I also, do not like to be associated with that.

I agree that there is a place to be professional, and a place where you can joke all you want. If she wants to make racial jokes she should do that on her own time, even though with being famous it seems like she would hardly have any of her own time because of the Media.

16. Aerianne

Ms. Jackson does have two bi-racial nieces...but still, what's up with the sexual harassment?

17. wannabe free angus73

wannabe free angus73 Member

Fatso, Fagot, Loser, Freek, ******, Gook, Spick, these are words of hate! But how can we all get along, if simple words can make us hate each other? I myself have been called more then three of these words, the best response I've ever had, was to laugh and walk away, removing all there power! Be careful though, this makes them very MAD lol. :2thumbsup:

18. wannabe free angus73

wannabe free angus73 Member

I'm not so sure about that! I cant see your eyes, but I can see you have a beautiful soul by reading your posts! :love:

19. planb

planb Member

la principessa you nailed that

20. TexasGal

TexasGal Member