Paula Deen's Racism Scandal

Discussion in 'People' started by Aerianne, Jun 25, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

scary that I caught that... you are trying to invoke the Brittany guy?

2. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

Yeah...LOL! I've already seen a Meme like that! :D

3. odonII

odonII O

I think it is a little unfair to say: well, she is from the south...
    As if all people there are racists.

4. ClintonsSon

I live in the Deep South and a lot of the older people were raised around things like that (not that that justifies it) and it is deeply ingrained and hard to totally escape. IMO she probably said something which amounted to nothing and the media has smelled blood and like a pack of sharks charged in to destroy her. These companies have no choice but to drop her. Brings to my mind Don Henley's classic song "Dirty Laundry".

5. odonII

odonII O

Well, in the interview posted earlier, she said her dad brought her up to treat everybody the same. That thinking you were better than anybody else was not how she was brought up. I initially said she could have been brought up in 'that' kind of environment. But we just don't know. I'm just saying it should not be the default position to say that because she is from where she is from that means X, Y or Z.
    She also said that she has only used the N word once, approx 30 years ago.
    Somebody has it in for her for sure.
    She said most of the companies she is connected with know her, and are standing by her.
    She doesn't seem to be being condemned by everybody.

I dunno, she seems a little false to me, but she could just be over compensating. That or she is generally a bit ott, anyway.

6. ClintonsSon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgvsqIgz7N8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgvsqIgz7N8

7. ClintonsSon

Well Matt Lauer on this morning's today did his best ASSHOLE on her and not only made her look worse but made himself look awful ( Is that even possible? Lauer is a number one asshole no doubt)!

8. ClintonsSon

If you haven't seen it...check this out (from this morning's TODAY show on NBC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCz4FswBzLw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCz4FswBzLw

9. ClintonsSon

Let me say this too. If all of us who have said the infamous "N" word were rounded up and shot.....there would be no one left....including numerous rap artists and celebs and....well everybody! I mean....really? Are there not more important things to look at when judging someone? Or has it come to this "newspeak"....this Orwellian world where there are "right" words and "wrong" words and the "Thought Police" will come and get us ALL!

10. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I think it is a great deal more than you are making it out to be, Clinton, and I certainly don't think all of this is just because the media "just happened to smell blood".

Perhaps you think being from the south excuses poor behavior...I don't...especially since I am from the same area as you. Granted there are plenty that agree with you. ;)

At any rate, I will repeat myself re how all of this all came out...since it has thus far been avoided. A woman/ex-manager that worked for Paula and her brother at one of their restaurants is suing her (I don't know about the brother) because of the work environment...involving sexual harassment, bigotry and overall hostility.

Paula can, indeed, think as she wants...as sorry and prejudiced as she desires. However, when her mouth/actions come into the work place it is a different story. THAT is the reason for her being questioned, and that all of this has come out...because of the environment she had allowed/created in her work place...not because she, at random, was quizzed by the media on her private thoughts. This came out in a deposition in a court room, and from there it made its way to the media.

For once I'm glad the media publicized this...Ms. Deen isn't going to able to just walk away and say "it's just the south...y'all know I didn't mean nothing :D" as she bullies another girl and/or guy at one of her places of business.

11. d0nny

d0nny Member

Being from the south, Saying ****** is common place. It isn't as derogatory as it is everywhere else in the country, unless they make you mad, and then they are acting like a fucking ******.

12. roamy

roamy Senior Member

13. odonII

odonII O

Post a pic' of yourself...

14. odonII

odonII O

That does not even make sense.

15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This business with the wedding statement was supposed to have happened in 2007. That's neither here nor there; but it is not helpful for it to come to light during this legal proceeding.

I've actually eaten at the restaurant where this took place. Of course, Paula, nor Bubba were there at the time.

I think her public is/has/and will judge her very harshly. They will vote with their dollars and none of these companies associated with her are going to lose money over her.

It's business.

She has always struck me as insincere. Can't stand to look at her or hear her. This crying shit reminds me of Tammy Faye Bakker.

I'm from the South. I grew up hearing the N-word flung around nearly constantly. I always knew it was hurtful. I always knew better.

She's not a very bright business woman.

Tammy Faye Bakker:
    [​IMG]

16. odonII

odonII O

I think Matt asked what needed to be asked.

It's context and intent that counts.

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Since I was pretty much raised in a bubble (can we say over-protected) and I didn't hear the n-word at home nor was any word like that used at any relatives we went to; but, was exposed to it constantly after riding on that dang schoolbus and later at school. After it was explained to me what it meant, I immediately knew I wouldn't be joining in with such a hateful word.

You hit the nail on the head with the Tammy Faye Baker similarity. I even thought that when it showed a brief clip of her sitting up and looking fine (with her ton of make-up on) but whining and crying and saying she was not physically able to be on the Today show. LOL

As I read about what (all) her dumb-ass had said, I found myself thinking #1-she surely was stupid & #2- I sure do hope people don't think EVERYBODY down south is like that.

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You're right, Lynn. Her stereotype of the Southern Woman is nauseating.

19. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

She a scumbag

20. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

She is a redneck hick fucking moron that people who fuck their cousins are fans of. She looks like a fat, nasty old parade float.