patterns in relationships

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mariecstasy, May 15, 2004.

1. didge

didge Member

only to the folk i appreciate me dear!;)

2. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i don't think it's a question of men being losers and assholes and women being bitches and nags. i the reason think so many relationships are fucked up is because human beings in general are, well, human beings. which is to say, essentially fucked up by our very nature.

i read this story once about a couple of buddhist monks, i'll paraphrase it from memory. the first monk was very pious. he stuck to a strict vegetarian diet, eschewed alcohol and wild parties, and maintained total celibacy. the second monk was something of a hedonist. he enjoyed his rich food and strong drink and the sight of a well-turned ankle. one day he was sitting in an open-air cafe, enjoying some wine, with a pretty maid by his side, when he spotted the first monk passing by. the second monk waved to the first, and called him over. "come join us, my friend, have some wine!" "i do not drink wine!" the first scowled, and neither should you! you know that very well." "that is too bad," said the second monk, "he who doesn't drink is not human." this angered the first monk. "if i am not human, then what am i?" he demanded. and the second monk replied: "a buddha."

i think instead of whining about how much relationships/men/women suck, we should just accept our inherent fucked-up-edness and enjoy it while we're here, in the best and most responsible way we can.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

a whole lot of nothin....

4. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I have only ever had one relationship: the one I'm in right now. There are no patterns to be followed, no similarities between him and other men in my life. Except maybe that he's got the same sense of humour as other guys I've liked in my life. Other than that, he's a first.