Patriotism?!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by HappyHippySoldierBoy, Aug 26, 2005.

1. HappyHippySoldierBoy

HappyHippySoldierBoy Banned

I absoloutly adore this country. I love it soooo much. I love our temperate climate. I love our misty hills and our rolling pastures. I love our sense of humour. I love our wildlife. I never want to live anywhere else, because anywhere else pales in comparison to Britain. I even love the way we are stereotyped be the rest of the world (eg read some Bill Bryson).

In many circle's this may make me a patriot. In many left-wing circles ( or hexagons; you know how non-conformist us lefties can be.) this makes me a bad person.

Is it wrong to love one's country? I'm no fan of the government, but this is and will always be my homeland, and I feel a kinship to the Earth I stand greater than I feel to my closest friends.

Three cheers for our beautiful land?

2. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I can't remember who I stole this quote from, but someone once said that patriotism is a sense of duty to one's country rather than the government of one's country, which it seems to be percieved as today.

I probably totally misquoted it, but there you go.

3. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Power_13, where abouts abouts in Yorkshire are you?

Also, I love the countryside I live near... Yorkshire lad through and through... Yorkshire Moors are amazing, and I live in the Wolds. And of course the Dales :)

4. Random Andy

Random Andy Member

Man, I live in London and it's a stinking hell hole. I gotta move. Rest of UK sounds okay though.

5. Ellie-Rose

Ellie-Rose Le Muppet

I love dorset where I live.. I have best of both worlds.. busy towns and quiet scenic loverliness!!

So I am happy completely

6. HappyHippySoldierBoy

But my literary hero says that "Patriotism is the virtue of the viscious".
    I agree with Mr 13 though, I love this country but I don't feel any duty to it's government.

7. Claire

Claire Senior Member

good-call:)

8. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I do love my country.... Although, I do have a very burning passion to live in the Rocky Mountains one day... :)

9. EarthWhirler

EarthWhirler Member

Why are you even worrying about how people see you? I think it's important to love the land around you. I love this place too, I love the diversity of landscape, the colours throughout the changing seasons, how green the grass is after rain. I find it quite sad when people go abroad for every holiday without ever having spent time in the heart of their land, this is such a rich place, how can they be so blind?

I wouldn't call you a patriot - I'd call you a hippy :p

10. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

damn right
    dorset is lovely

11. Claire

Claire Senior Member

ooo-arrrr;)

12. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

i like it here.

13. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

England is a beautiful country. I love it so much, but i wont stay here forever.

14. DuskBreeze

DuskBreeze bye bye !

I have to say that I am proud to be British. I used to love the UK. I have never liked London though. Never ever want to go to that shithole again. I loved Nottingham, where I am from. But these days the UK is just going downhill so fast I had to get out. I don't know if I will ever move back.

Always hated the weather though.

15. HappyHippySoldierBoy

How exactly is the UK going downhill? I know lot's of people who feel this, I often feel it myself, but what exactly is going wrong?

16. DuskBreeze

DuskBreeze bye bye !

Ermm, everything?

17. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

yeah man love uk . without being a plant pot (bill and ben ) gotta say like proud to be a brit . although would like to have a life of a native american indian if i have another .

18. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

patriotic? no......can't wait to get off this bleedin' isle :D

19. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

ayeaway why like oz ?.

20. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

well...lotsa different reasons really, or lotsa gripes but nowt too drastic (cept that lying to go to war thing)....but the main reason is that the years are ticking by and it's a big world out there, and i ain't lived anywhere but the UK :)