Patchouli...the good, bad and ugly

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by RainbowGrl4Jesus, Jan 4, 2005.

1. gypsymama

gypsymama Member

you could always get a plant. the aroma isnt as strong and you know its "real" and not just some mixed up scents put in a bottle for you...i have a plant thats just about ready for new starts. and its lovely.

2. HempMama

HempMama Member

Oooh, a patchouli plant sounds wonderful!

3. flaming_pie

flaming_pie Member

I love the smell of patchouli. And incense. The two together are lovely :)
    But it depends on the quality of the oil. If it's been stored and aged properly, it's good. If not...it just SMELLS :svengo:

4. Siggh

Siggh Member

Aah, I love the smell! It is a bit strong, but it is sooo nice! Was told I smelled like tar or forest, by one of my friends. Forest is okay though :)

5. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

I have only smelled crappy patchouli incense sticks, and they were a bit too strong for me. But my absolute favourite smell is lemongrass. I've got lemongrass everything :) Oils, incense, hand creams, candles, lotions.

6. O.g.Beard

O.g.Beard Member

I have smelled patcouli on biker like outlaw's and grim reaper's and other harley rididing type's.

7. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

patchouli reminds me of a head shop smell... lol

8. chinadoll

chinadoll Member

I absolutely looove patchouli. To me it is the best smell there is. The older it is the better it smells.

9. tree_hugger

tree_hugger Member

I got this homemade patchouli soap at a festival. Omg, it smelled so good.

10. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

I loooove it. I wear the scent a lot.

11. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

I love patchouli. I haven't found very many good quality oils in stores though. For the most part they seem watered down and smell rancid. I love it though, a little goes a long way :)

12. Mrdude46

Mrdude46 Member

I started wearing patchouli in the Army to hide the smell of reefer on me.
    We smoked all the time, I have a metal sucrettes box filled with joints of nam weed.
    Life then was a haze of being high and goofing on the NCO's and officers.

Most of the time they left me alone, when they did not I laughed at them, I was a short timer, draftee. Well the smell of pacthouli confused them, I still wear it don't think now 35 years later that anyone thinks that it covers up the smell of reefer but it was a good memory.

13. Mrdude46

Mrdude46 Member

OH I remember my platoon sarge told me that it smelled like the inside of a possom's ****. and I asked him how he knew what the inside of possom's **** smelled like?
    Cost me $50 from my $92 a month pay but it was worth it.

Peace
    Dan

14. Mrdude46

Mrdude46 Member

I get mine from sfherb.com, cost $8 for a big bottle (6oz i think) I dilute mine in rubbing alcohol.
    Smells great.

Peace
    Dan

15. Been wearing patchouli since 1969. I occasionally try something else but always go back to it. I could go out bollock naked (not that I do, wouldn't want to scare the neighbours)or in the scaggiest clothes ever but never without patchouli and earrings. I would rather die!

16. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

It's a bit hard to find quality patchouli oil where I live. I mostly come across the cheap kind and they don't exactly smell fantastic. However, I love it when I can find the good kind. A little bit dabbed on a scarf or piece of clothing smells fantastic. :)

17. I'm dreading the bottle I've got just now finishing because my solo supplier has retired and closed down her store.

18. Merry Mab

Merry Mab Member

I am also one of those that can't bear the smell of patchouli.

Reading through this thread, I was surprised by how many people mix patchouli with lavender. I love lavender, and I love wearing lavender, but I've noticed that people either love lavender, or can't stand to be around it.

I guess these two scents are designed by Mother Nature to get some sort of big reaction from our olfactory system, whether it is good or bad.

19. cattiecat

cattiecat Member

I LOVE PATCHOULI it smells like trees and dirt. I have worn it religiously for over ten years.......my oil cabinet is always stocked with it..and peaceful patchouli soap and lotion is so light that i always have to add more to the bottle...I make my own patchouli soap...I sell it for 3$ a bar.