Patchouli...the good, bad and ugly

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by RainbowGrl4Jesus, Jan 4, 2005.

1. RainbowGrl4Jesus

RainbowGrl4Jesus Member

Hi my brothers and sisters!
    I was just wondering about your thoughts on patchouli. It's so funny to me, how some people absolutly love it, while others can't stand it. I adore it, but my friend tells me that it smells like a mixture of dirt and cat pee. LOL Yeah, she think's she cute with all of that. Anyway, just wanting some other opinions on my beloved, patchouli.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

depends on the quality/age of the 'chouli, too.
    I always said cheap 'chouli smelled like pot and sweat socks.

3. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

i love patchouli oil! i have smelled some that wasnt to appealing, but over all i love it!!

4. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

I like it... in small doses, hehe. I think I like it best mixed w/ another scent... I wear a mix of patchouli and jamaican fruit essential oil. I call it "JAmaican Patchouli", because I am just that creative, hehe....

5. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

I think its a nice mellow smell. Plus it covers up the smell of pot. (Most insence does). But it makes a room smell good. Thats what counts.

6. Fallen_stars

Fallen_stars Member

miam, patchouli smell really really good. The only bad point is that it's smell very strong so people always said to me that they can smell me even if it make 1 hour that I've left the place...So I really love it, but it's not for spy :)...

love and respect

7. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I don't really dig on patchouli...it's too hippy for me...i prefer lavender or rosemary ....and even melaluca (tea tree) oils...

8. mary0229

mary0229 Member

Patchouli smell really good and I love it ,so I don't think that it's a bad thing that it's smell a long time because It's let a memory of you after you passed. ;)

9. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I love it and Sandelwood and Nag Champa. All the incensey smelling scents.[​IMG]

10. Merenwenelanesse

Merenwenelanesse Member

I dont really like patchouli, its a bit to strong for me.

11. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

i looove patchouli.

and hey, who ever said dirt smelled bad

12. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

how the heck do u say patchouli? is it for isnense and perfume orrrr what?

13. morningglory

morningglory Member

I love it, but the last time I wore it 3 different people told me that I smelt bad.

14. amber

amber Member

puh choo lee
    I love it... could care less if people think its too hippy
    it's been used for thousands of years as a fragrance
    very exotic and sensuous
    my mom hates it, she thinks it smells musty (like mold) I got lots of negative comments in high school cuz i always smelled like it, oh well, some people just can't appreciate patchouli's wonderful scent

15. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

its funny because all the preppy kids around here try to tell me that i smell like pot...

or peppers, everyone says i smell like pepper..

16. phishcourtney04

phishcourtney04 Member

people have told me that i've smelled like pepper, too, when i wear patchouli.
    i love it, but it has to be good quality--i like how earthy it smells, it just makes me feel closer to the earth. that does sound pretty cliche hippie, but it's true for me.
    i absolutely love a mixture of patchouli and lavender. also, i mix it with spearmint oil--the smell is fresh and unexpected and really nice.

17. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I do hate to sound cliche when i say it's too hippy for me..but it's true...way too many people wear it...it's like the way a hippy smells u know...and plus the fact that i don't really dig on the scent plays a part in it too..but i'm not even into conforming to the normal hippie standards...although i must admitt lavendar is an awesome awesome oil...it smells so wonderful..again i'm sorry if i sound cliche but it's the truth..

18. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

i personally LOVE patchouli smells. jsut reminds me of a festival or something. at my school its my signature scent. everyone knows when im in a room beof re they even open a door. my brian loves wearing patchouli too, and i find it really a turn on. i just dont like how he is stealling my smell. oh well. i love meeting people who smell like me too
    some people really LOVE the smell like me, but others, i have found it could make others sick (esp pregnant) i find that some people get sick of it,
    i find really cool people because of the smell. mostly hippies or old hippies who just flashback when they smell it
    peace and love

19. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well. patchouli is pretty much my signature scent...I like it by itself, or mixed with other oils. I wear the Kiss My Face patchouli lotion almost every day, and I also put on straight patchouli, or patchouli mixes (amber/patchouli is a favorite...). I also use a blend called Hippie Shower which is patchouli, amber, and, I believe, clove and cinnamon. That is one of my favorites...I order it from a little shop in Denver.

People can generally tell when I've been around by the scent of patchouli in the air! No one (much) has ever complained...I just love that stuff!

20. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i wear a blend of patchouli, lavender and just a touch of sweet orange in my dreadlocks. i guess you could call that my "signature scent".

patchouli also blends well with lime, sandalwood, or cinnamon. another good blend can be made with patchouli, lavender, orange, and a hint of clove. the orange oil brightens the blend and keeps it from smelling to "drowsy".

i use a blend of patchouli and amber for my autumn equinox altar incense.

it's funny that someone said that patchouli smells like mold. patchouli actually helps to keep mold and fungus away. i use it to make a foot powder, with arrowroot or cornstarch, a bit of baking soda, white clay, and maybe just a bit of orris root powder to "soften" the scent.

i will admit to being one of those obnoxious people who can't get enough of patchouli. "square" guys who are into hippie chicks often come up to me and ask if i'm wearing patchouli, even when i'm not.

mmm, patchouli! can't get enough.