Patchouli Scent

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Lilyrayne, May 11, 2004.

?

Do you like the scent of Patchouli?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. I don't know

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. It doesn't matter to me

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. It's good in some situations but not others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. It's only good for medicinal purposes

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Sometimes I feel like the only person that LIKES the scent of Patchouli. At least out of all the people I know in person anyway. So many people seem to think it stinks, I am afraid to wear it.

Occasionally I will pass someone in a store that is wearing it and go "mmmm patchouli!" But, as for it being an aphrodisiac, I don't know about that, it's never made me horny. But I still think it's a sexy smell. My husband, however, DOESN'T. :p

I use crystal deoderant, and sometimes I buy it in liquid form. I buy the "Kiss My Face" brand at the health food store, and they carry one that is Patchouli scented. I want it so bad! But for fear of being accused of needing a bath, I buy the Lavender. Lavender, to me is overdone. I want patchouli!

So anyway, I was interested in people's thoughts on Patchouli here in the forums. You can just vote in the poll but I'd really like to read some specific opinions.

2. galvatron

galvatron Member

omg...you are so totally not alone! i completely love the fabulous smell of patchulli. ah. just thinking about it makes me smile! i too use the crystal deoderant, but have never seen the patchulli sented brand...i usually just use the oil on the side of my neck. dont worry about it..i think for some people it just takes a while to get used to the super rad smell-

3. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

It's most often found in the form of an essential oil. It's from a plant from India. The next time you're around some oils in a health food store or head shop, pick up a patchouli and smell it.

4. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Patchouli incense is one of my favorites.

5. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Have you ever tried heating up the oil? I put some in a lightbulb ring once and it smelled SOO good! IT totally changed the smell too, smelled like a field of flowers or something.

The only problem is, the smell NEVER EVER comes out of the ring, and if you try to wash it in the dishwasher, it makes everything that was in the dishwasher, (especially plastic stuff) smell like patchouli for months.

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

my hippy cousin, tiffany, adored it. the rest of us living with her called it human repellant.

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I voted no.

The scent makes me feel ill if worn. One of the few that does.....musk is another. :(

8. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I like it although it is not one of my favorites. My two favorite scents (especially with incense) are Lotus and Sandelwood. Those two are definitely better than patchouli, although I like them all.

9. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

patchouli is the fragrance of not bathing for 6 months

10. olhippie54

Are you speaking from personal experience?

11. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Nice one Marc, I think that deserves some reputation points :p

12. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've always liked patchouli; but the key is LESS is MORE with this scent - a little dab'll do ya. I wear it every so often (most of the time I'm wearin' jasmine). I use the solid kind that comes in a cute soapstone container. Sometimes I'll burn patchouli incense; but most of the time it's either nag champa or super hit (my absolute favorite - made by the same company that makes nag champa). Both of those scents are mild and don't give me a headache like patchouli and some of the others tend to do.

13. olhippie54

Nag Champa is classic incense.

14. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

nag champa is my fav. incense and i do like patchoulie too.

15. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

i do not like to shower daily unless i get real dirty at work or i'm stessed and my body chemistry is off, and i rarely use deodorant.

i do use rock crystals at times and recently picked up some kiss my face rock crystal w/ patchouli. it is way too strong for me to rub all over my underarm so if i am gonna use it i use the plain crystal and then just a little of the patchouli...that works.

an ex girlfriend used the same stuff (peaceful patchouli) and i found it too strong on her.

16. psyche

psyche fun for the whole family

i like patchouli, and when i wear it i usually get people saying 'oh my fucking god you smell good'.. but they do that no matter what i wear haha... my first choice for smells is jovan musk, mmm good stuff. but yeah, i wear patchoili occasionally, it's delicious.

17. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i cant stand it for some reason, i think i am allergic to it

18. olhippie54

I think I'm allergic to allergies.

19. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i love patchouly, but sometimes it's a little strong by itself. it blends well with other scents. if you love its earthiness but need to mellow the fragrance out a little, try adding sandalwood and/or cedar. you might want to sweeten it up with amber, or amber and sandalwood. if you or those close to you find the scent to heavy, you can "lighten" it with lavender and/or lemon or orage. florals that go well with patchouli are rose (if you can afford it, or buy it cut), lavender, and rose geranium. all are good with a little sandalwood added to the base.

i suggest you buy both the lavender & patchouly deodorants & mix them. i use a blend of lavender & patchouly on my dreds to condtion my hair & scalp, tame dandruff, and keep away nasties like lice & mold. it works, and it smells so much better than tea tree.

20. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

you just reminded me of the first time a woman deliberately laid hands on me, sexually speaking. i was dancing at the renn faire, as a teenager, and i put some oil on to smell pretty, and this glorious, sexy woman with really curly black hair walked up to me, said "OMG, someone smells really good" then placed her face in my neck. my knees buckled. touch my neck and i'm yours.

sorry, off topic. i think patchouli smells like wet dirt gone horribly wrong.