Paris Riots

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by tumbling.dice, Dec 2, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

It would appear that far left wing and far right wing nutjobs have found something to agree on: rioting. Masked infiltrators of the "Yellow Vest" movement, formed to protest rising fuel taxes in France, have looted stores, torched cars and smashed windows in Paris. There were more than 400 arrests and 133 injured in the worst violence Paris has seen in years.

[​IMG]

Paris riots: Macron to hold emergency meeting after worst unrest in decade

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

These Parisians are revolting.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm not that keen on Macron.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Seriously it's unfortunate that people were injured but sometimes a little civil disobedience is necessary to stop the State from thinking they can do whatever they like, backed up by an increasingly militaristic police.

scratcho likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont like political violence or extremism but when you have a growing gap between the rich and the poor it is probably to be expected

6. Why

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Well I'm sure he's a nice guy in person and wants the best for France. I just find him a bit right wing for my taste and his labour reforms are very unpopular. French Presidents are never popular though and France does have some challenging social problems.

8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Also, his make up bill is astronomical.

9. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

It's sad seeing reactionary and fascist elements trying to take over the movement, as has been well documented by Crimethinc here and here; as well as IGD. But there is also a lot to put hope into as is documented by Enough is Enough here and here.

"This movement combines many contradictory elements: horizontally organized direct action, a narrative of being “apolitical,” the participation of far-right organizers, and the genuine anger of the exploited.

Clearly, neoliberal capitalism offers no solutions to climate change except to place even more pressure on the poor; but when the anger of the poor is translated into reactionary consumer outrage, that opens ominous opportunities for the far right."

10. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

CrimethInc. : The Movement as Battleground : Fighting for the Soul of the Yellow Vest Movement

"Yesterday, the Macron government offered its first concession, delaying the fuel tax for six months. At the same time, protests and police violence around France continue unabated; another day of action has been called for this Saturday, with the authorities promising a massive crackdown in response. The involvement of truck drivers and high school students signals that the story has not yet reached its climax. The model has already spread to Belgium and there are demonstrations called in Germany and Spain. As seems usual these days, no one on any side of the conflict seems to have any strategy in mind except to continue escalating."

[​IMG]

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Throughout modern history there has always been a direct correlation between rising poverty and social unrest, in both 1st and 3rd world countries. I think this is what we are beginning to see.

scratcho likes this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Everyone being french being one of them

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

LOL..... :D

Cheers Glen.

14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Always an easy target. I have known and actually do know some very nice French people.

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Vive la France!

16. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Many Years Ago I Faintly Recall Knowing One.......Then On Second Thoughts......Maybe Not.... :D

Cheers Glen.

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

(Basically it's the only foreign language I know a bit of, many wonderful holidays from childhood onwards, love the film, art and literature, had two French girlfriends...Need I say moi.)

GLENGLEN likes this.
  18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

If history is any indication; have a few government officials dressed in Nazi regalia and those protesters will be running for the hills

19. Why are there no French people on HF?

20. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Is that the first line of a joke, because I could probably think of one.

Tyrsonswood likes this.