parents won't allow me to get dreads.....

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by PuZuZu, Jun 1, 2004.

1. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

my lil sis wants dreads and i would LOVE to dread my hair sometime. that's one of my goals, to dread my hair sometime in my life, not now though. our rents won't let us get em cuz they don't think we'd take care of them and they'd be a huge mess. iono why else. it might be because they think they represent ganje-smoking and stuff. gah. rents are so retarded. it's our hair, why can't we do what we want with it? they let us cut it and style it any other way as long as we don't dye it (even temporary) and we can't dread it. bleh.

2. FLHippieGirl

FLHippieGirl Guest

Guys, I'm having the same problem! I'm 15 and my dad hates dreads and he doesn't want me to get them! He threatens to take thins away from me if I get them.. I made a few baby dreads in my hair and he hasn't noticed yet. Idk how to get my full head done with dreads /:
    My dad tells me I have to wait til I'm 18 to get a full head of dreads & I can't wait that long! Any advice?!

3. clovesmoke

clovesmoke Guest

My dad didn't want me to get them either. (I had them when I was younger and ended up cutting them off after a few years, I was thinking of doing it again it was a fun process). I had long hair before I did it. He said it would look stupid, be dirty, ruin my hair, why am I trying to look a certain way when I'm not and on and on...

I just started doing it, I got the flea comb and worked on the base near my scalp, started rolling them around, wearing wool hats etc. I just did it anyway. He couldn't force me to go get my hair cut off. He eventually just got used to it, especially after we were out enough together and ppl would say 'cool dreads' , 'hey I like your hair' and all that.

I probably wouldn't suggest doing it the way that I did...I would basically try to tell your parents that it IS a common hairstyle.

The process requires a lot of patience, say that you are practicing it (if they refute by saying, 'you can wait until you move out then') just say "I want to 'screw up' my hair now, while I don't have to go out into the real world to find a career" LOL. If you can, try to find pictures of your parents when they had 'weird' hairstyles. Bribe them with housework or what not "i will do the dishes everyday for 6 months," "i'll mow the lawn," "i'll wash your car" "I'll scrub the toilet." etc. Don't get upset or throw a fit if that is your style, they will think you too immature, rather, make any decisions with diligence and maturity to prove that you can make your own choices. Find a bunch of pictures of people with dreads (recruit people around here) and show them how cool they look. Tell them you are doing it because you don't want to support English colonization and suppression of African culture.

Hehe. These are a few suggestions. best of luck to you.

4. LivinAFantasy

LivinAFantasy Member

How old are you? 24 or 14?

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Suggest You Go Back And Read The First Post A Little More Carefully...:).

It Was Made On 6-2-2004 PuZuZu Is Now 24, Subtract 8 From 24 And

You Will Come Up With The Op's Correct Age Which Was 16...:).

Cheers Glen.

6. LivinAFantasy

LivinAFantasy Member

Ah... I saw it as a recent post, didn't notice that. Thanks for the heads up.