Parental Notification Mess: Boyfriend charged for back alley abortion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dotadave, Jan 9, 2005.

1. dotadave

dotadave Member

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0501/05/A01-50709.htm

Now this is odd. Only the man gets charged? Frankly since the woman was a willing participant I don't think either of them should be charged at all. This wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the bullshit parental notification law.

2. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Shouldn't the guy get charged with assault and battery, and the woman get charged as an Accessory? That would make this all much easier. I know that fetus died, but your right, its all because of the parental notification law. People need to stop thinking with their bible, and start using common sense.

3. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Wait, i thought that law was meant to charge people who kill the fetus of a pregnant woman against her will. this doesn't make any bloody sense.
    I mean, couldn't they just charge the boyfriend of practicing medicine without a license and than charge the girl with being a twit?

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

"Viability" is now considered about 20 weeks. (I've had two clients have babies who survived at 21 weeks and one at 20 weeks.) That encompasses "6 month" pregnancies. Is this and OLD story?

Also, performing an abortion is a MEDICAL procedure, and the boy would also be charged with practicing medicine without a licence. Also, concealing a birth is against the law (children need birth certificates, even if they are born dead) and concealing a death is also a crime. There is a LOT more here than just "perfoming an abortion." The charges don't make much sense.

I agree, "Parental Consent" laws cause a lot of problems, but in EVERY state which has parental consent laws, there are ways to get a judge to sign off on the abortion, or have Child Protective Services do so.

Most Planned Parenthood centers have judges they can call on the spot to sign off on minor's abortions. This was unneccesary. THere are also a LOT easier ways to perform "do it yourself" abortions than to be hit with a baseball bat over a two week period! Something besides the actual action isn't right, here.

5. dotadave

dotadave Member

They were two despirate teenagers and considering this was a parental notification state I doubt they were very well educated on birth control or where to go for an abortion. As bad as a back alley abortion is it wouldn't have happened were it not for this law and had they been educated in their health classes.

Here is a point made by someone on another forum where I found this:

Not only that but the boy is getting treat fairly harshly by the system. He'll be spending YEARS in prison if convicted. It's malicious procecution to serve the anti-choice agenda.

6. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

I'm amazed that people here so readily shrug off the brutality of this killing and somehow feel more sympathy for the murderer(s) than the dead baby.

7. element7

element7 Random fool

The boy and girl both should be recieving in depth psych care after that. Instead he will be sent off to learn how to be even more brutal and she's left holding the bag back at home. Two more members of a future generation completely fucked by a holier than thou agenda.

8. dotadave

dotadave Member

It was a fetus. Read the story again. They were terrorized out of going to a doctor for an abortion by the parental notification law.

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Absolutely!!!! This is a clear poster case for "celibate only "health care" classes do not work to anyone's benefit at all.

I think this was desperation, (but damn, TWO WEEKS, they did have time to think about it) as for the fetus, it could well have been viable. I wish, if an abortion was what they wanted one could have been done a hell of a lot sooner. I have seen LIVE 20 week babies, and even being pro-choice, this thing seems a bit brutal. (6 weeks is one thing, 20 is an other.) But people do uncharacteristic things when scared and threatened. Infanticide is a very common crime in a lot of places (doesn't excuse it. ) I think good education about birth control and the availabiltiy of pregnancy services EARLY in this pregnancy could have saved a lot of heart ache. And jail time.

No one won in this situation. It's tragic.