PA Regional

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by WanderingturnupII, May 11, 2004.

1. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Title: Allegheny Peaceful AssemblyDescription: There has been a delicious rumor or vision floating around that YOU should know about. It is about a "peaceful assembly" that is going to happen May 28-June 5, 2004 somewhere (probably) in the Allegheny National Forest. The folks from the Northeastern part of the country are very interested in checking out this "very rainbow-like gathering" and have made a commitment to bring a kitchen to the assembly. We are committed to checking this thing out, and counseling there as NERF on the land. This e-mail is to let you know of the intention of some of us folks from the North. It would be GREAT to sit in circle and council; pray for peace; enjoy the children; commune responsibly with nature; speak freely and exercise our right to peaceable assembly with folks from the SOUTH and Central areas --all of us East of the Mississippi. We could talk about many things, and make decisions about a few! Part of the vision of this assembly would be to see if the NERF, SERF, and all others around are ready, willing, and able to host a gathering of the tribe in a very rainbow fashion somewhere in the EAST.....for July of 2005. This assembly offers SERF and NERF a wonderful opportunity for networking. Let me know if you are interested in attending with other peaceful assemblers on May 28-June 5 2004URL: Contact: 1 - 888 - 511 - 4783 Lovin You!

Link to original: http://welcomehere.org/cgi-bin/calendar.pl?month=5&view=Event&event_id=161

2. owl

owl Member

diresctions will be available may 15th.......see you there!

3. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

anyone else from the forums gonna be there?

4. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

my plans are completely in the air about this right now. i am hoping to go and take 3 other members w/ me but i am waiting to see what each thinks.

i have never been to one though. what is adviceable to bring? to not bring?

5. Brad2571

Brad2571 Member

Sounds like fun, hope a lot of folks from the region will be able to attend.

6. Brad2571

Brad2571 Member

What to bring: tent, sb, cup, bowl, spoon, flashlight. Just normal camping stuff.

7. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

the too bring isnt as big deal to me as what not to bring. i know that there are certain things that they ask you not too.

like i said i am new to all this. so help a sistah out

8. WanderingturnupII

Here's some help: Screw the "NO" Tribe! Buncha fnarkin' purists...Only thing worse than a purist is a quitter...I quit being a purist long ago...

Oh, yeah, right, you want serious advice...I guess the big no-no is alchohol...but Gatherings are about as dry in the 21st century as the rest of the country was in the 1920s. If you want to relax in your personal camp with a glass of wine, or a cocktail, after a hard day of chasing your kids around the woods, don't let a bunch of pot heads, acid freaks, and rollers tell you you can't. If they persist, tell 'em your PMS has been kicking your ass all day, and if they don't want their asses kicked, they would do well to leave you alone;) They say not to bring your dog...I guess this is why there are only about 3 dogs per hippie running around. A dog is almost better than a flashlight for finding your tent after dark. If you have a dog, and can't, or just don't want, to board him for the weekend, I'll post the Doggie Rap. Some folks get upset by cameras. If you want to take pictures, make a 5-star Broadway production about the fact that you are taking photos, or have a live video camera, and if anybody does not want to be in the picture, they should move out of your line-of-sight, and you will be fine. Amplified music, and electronic toys, are supposed to be against the rules. But if you have a kid that is gonna freak out if he can't listen to his favorite CD, or play his GameBoy, please your kid. (Anybody that tries to tell this kid that he can't listen to A Prarie Home Compannion on Saturday evenings is itchin' for a fight.) Firearms are against the rules. If you, a single Mom, traveling alone with her kids, feel more comfortable carrying a gun, just in case, well, you probably won't be the only one, so obey all State and Federal laws about carrying the thing across state lines, and when you get to the Gathering, leave the thing locked up and hidden in your car. What the Hippies don't know, won't hurt 'em. Fireworks are the only thing on which I am in complete agreement with the No People. They can set the woods on fire, and scare the dogs. Fighting forest fires cuts heavily into everyone's pot smoking time. Don't even think about bringing them.

I don't know if your kids are in diapers. Cloth has to be washed, of course, and this is a problem in the woods. If this were my problem, I would use disposables, and burn them in a HOT fire. Any environmental dammage caused by a bit of burning plastic would be counterballenced by the public health benefit of incinerating all those bacteria. The other alternatives are "Pack it in, Pack it out", (EEEWWWW!) or maybe there is some biodegradeable disposeable diaper that you can bury, I dunno.

I have been thinking about this, and I guess I couldn't be too upset with a parrent who left behind a well-sealed container plainly labeled something along the lines of "Biohazard: Diapers". But that would still cost you karma points. Or you could have someone watch your kids for a few hours the day you pack out while you make a run to the dump.

Are you answered?

9. kayatree

kayatree Member

It's in Allegany, right?

kayatree

10. kayatree

kayatree Member

WanderingTurnip:

I saw that you're interested in birding? I was up (or down) at Pt. Pelee (Canada) a few weeks ago... ever been? It's pretty amazing this time of the year. I think we finished the weekend with about 150 different types...

with love,
    kayatree

11. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i am definately answered and i am laughing hysterically. thank you for the fresh angle on all this.
    peace, love and laughter to you bro

12. makno

makno Senior Member

if anyone is going to this event and driving from the se, i can help with gas .p m me!

13. stella420blue

stella420blue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

directions coming up any time soon? I may only make it for a day trip, but I have not been around any family since 94/95

14. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

man! sounds great...

would love to go as i live in PA but ill be away at a festival. :(

15. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

I may actually go considering I am gonna' be in PA at the Phliadelphia Folk Song Society's "Spring Thing" that is held at Camp Nock-a-mixon Memorial Day weekend. I will be positive if I am going by next week. Even if I don't go to the gathering, I will be going to the Spring Thing. I will be driving from Massachusetts, so I may have room for 1 rider. I will get you as far as Philadelphia.

16. makno

makno Senior Member

they had a national there in like 86 or so ,and it was my favorite of venues for nationals , i also had a great time.

17. kayatree

kayatree Member

Nationals in Allegany? There was one a lot more recent... maybe '97 or 98'? Lot's of fun. :)

Oh yeah, did you get directions yet?

with love,
    kayatree

18. WanderingturnupII

'99. Closest town was Ridgeway. That county was suposed to be in drought conditions. Wettest Gosh Darn drought I is ever done did seed! Whatta mudfest...I'd hate to see that place when them Penciltuckians think it's been raining...

19. makno

makno Senior Member

yea i missed that ...its a great place forest rd 666 i still member

20. WanderingturnupII