overwatering a cactus

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by backtothelab, May 21, 2004.

1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Alright, i think i may have over watered my cactus. It's one of those spineless cacti, like you can touch it and stuff and it wont poke you. Well, I looked in the pot, and there were ants all inside, literally they hadd built this gigantic nest all inside the pot and all around. I normally let ants all in my garden, but when they build a really big nest, i pour water on them, and they move. I know it's mean, but it's alot better then throwing the poison all around and the. Well, to be frank, I was boozing when I found the ants with the cactus, and I was so mad, I poured water all on them, but got a little carried away, and poured anywhere from 4-10 gallons of water on the cactus. I know, i know, was'nt a good idea. The pot has holes in the bottom to drain, but are they gonna die? I'm really worried, cause my neighbor friend gave them to me, and I've had them for like 3 years. So are they gonna be ok?

2. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

Oh no, they shouldn't die...As long as they have a drain in the bottom...If your plants have a dish under them that keeps the water in, just drain it or else the plants will get root-rot, if they are outside it really should not make a huge difference. Cactus don't need as much water as reg plants, but they don't mind a bit to much water on occasion...after all they can survive rain in the wild, which is pretty much the same sort of thing...

Hope your plants are ok...

3. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Hope those poor little ants have life jackets ;)

4. Acorn

Acorn Member

our alo vera was over watered and the roots or somthing rotted and it fell out of the pot. but that was inside and it didnt have a saucer. i think yours will be okay.

5. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

its a flood,its a flood,its a flood,evrybody lets get out here,run,run for your life!!!!! no wait,evryboddy grab your serf board!

6. mmelody

mmelody Member

You may have ants living in the root of the cactus. If I were you id re-pot and check it out. Cactus are pretty hardy and can put up with a lot of extremes, it should be fine due to the overwatering, just make sure you let it dry out a bit before you water again :)

7. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i water a catus or succulant about 7-9 times a year. ground cinnamon seems to work well at getting rid of ants.

8. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Cacti are the only plants that I will kill, without even trying... I think I always overwater them. I wait until they're dry, but they still die... :(

But, I can grow pretty much everything else...