Outdoor Lowryder grow (Complete noob)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by DeliPro, Apr 25, 2007.

1. DeliPro

DeliPro Member

I'm planning on planting 4 low ryder plants in my back yard in may. The flowering time is 8-9 weeks right? So after that time the buds will be fully developed and I can harvest them and plant new plants? (Make hash with the old ones or something since you can't clone them or whatever?) Do I need to water them every day, I'll usually only be at my house 2-4 days a week but maybe I can plant them among my moms flowers so she will water them? (She doesn't even know what weed smells like). Or create some sort of milk jug system(Although that may be conspicuous)

So that's my plan, and where can I get some lowryder seeds? Is the original or #2 better?

And will they produce seeds so I don't have to buy more? And will they be male and female or all female?

2. DeliPro

DeliPro Member

Alright, after a little more reasearch it seems there are better strains out there than lowryder. What is a good strain for a stealthy outdoor grow? Also good for a beginner (Autoflowering)

3. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Lowryder 2 is much more potent than the original and does very well outside - anything else (even an Indica) will get too big to go unnoticed. Plants in the ground don't need "constant" watering the way plants in small pots do. In a pot, the plant uses up the available water and there ain't no more till you water again. The ground is like a giant sponge or wick, it redistributes the available water from around the area. Lowryders, or any autoflowering strain, all grow small and compact, without a huge root system so they should be fine without daily care.

Do a computer search for - mdanzig+seeds - if I'm not mistaken, he's the guy that first bred Lowryders for the Joint Doctor, then started off on his own with other new hybrids of autoflowering strains.
    Yes, they will produce seeds.

4. DeliPro

DeliPro Member

Yea, I've seen a lot of posts on ICM about master low being better than lowryder. But I think I'll go with Lowryder #2, master low is a little bit too big for what I'm trying to do (Apparently it can grow above 25 inches.)

So am I right in thinking this is about what the growing process will be like?

Plant 4 seeds or so.
    After 3 weeks I can identify the males and then I remove them? (Or would I transplant a female and male to another area to produce more seeds?)
    Then after like 8-9 weeks I can harvest them (When the string things turn amber and the resin gets thick).

Is that about how it goes? Thanks for all the help, I'm really excited to start my grow!

5. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works, if everything goes goes according to the plan. The actual growing time may vary a little bit more, it just depends on the bud developement.

Making seeds while trying to maintain a sinsemella grow outside in the ground kind of complicates matters! Of course, if they were in pots it would be easy to move them around. But if you have to transplant, at least LR 2 is a small plant. You may want to think about isolating the male and female plant in place (without haveing to transplant them). When the time is right, yank all males except one. When the pollen sacks start swelling build a little "tent" over the male and the adjoining female plant with clear plastic film or trash bag. As soon as a few of the pollen sacks have shot their loads (burst open), gently and carefully remove the tent from the pollenated female and get rid of the male. The trick here is twofold: 1. You want to time the operation so that a minimum of time is spent under the "tent" (to maximize air flow and minimize mold problems). 2. You don't want to stir up any extra pollen! One way to accomplish this is to saturate the inside of the "tent" and the male plant with a water spray to trap all the pollen, then secure the plastic film around the male plant - that way you can safely remove the "encapsulated" male plant.

6. rawgarlic

rawgarlic Member

What method is best, grow them in a 2 gallon pot or have a small pot and then transfer it to the bigger 1 later?

Im prob going to get lowryder #2

thanks

7. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

small then transplant to bigger

8. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

By M4N:
    "small then transplant to bigger"

I couldn't agree more! Some people try to avoid transplanting (lazyness?), but the smaller confinement trains the root system to develope more fully.

9. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

i've noticed starting them in 16oz dixie cups/beer cups gives an excellent start. A nice dense root mass forms in these and they are super easy to transplant out of plus they are re-usable.