Out of line comment ;)

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by MentalFloss, Jun 6, 2004.

1. MentalFloss

MentalFloss Member

Today I was at my friend's house with a few other people, and we sort of got into my veganism. During this conversation, my friend said " He's just using veganism as an excuse to not eat ". This really made me mad, she knows I have a history of anorexia (I've been doing very well in recovery) and I think it's really insulting that she'd think that. I actually eat more now that I'm a vegan. But I didn't want to cause a huge conflict so I left it alone. How can I talk to her about it and let her know how I feel and why I'm really a vegan? Should I just not care what she thinks?

Edit: I'd like to add that my friends constantly try to get me to eat animal products and make fun of me for this. Is there any way I can politely tell them to shut up?

2. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Well, I'm not all that sure about how polite this is, but I'd just tell them it's none of their business what I eat. You probably don't make fun of them for eating carcass, so they shouldn't make fun of you for being vegan.

3. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

It goes like this. -Ahem- "Hey... Shut the fuck up bitch"

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Why the hell do you put up with these people? they sound like absolute assholes/bitches.

By all means explain in a rational way pointing out where they are wrong (in a poliet way of course) obviously I don't know these people so I can't really be of any specific help.

Really though if someone constantly undermined one of my core beliefs I would seriously wonder if they were a good friend (and probably conclude they weren't)

TTFN
    Sage

5. Geth

Geth Member

Wow, just try to explain that being vegan is helping you out more. Tell your friends to shut up and if they are really your friends they will understand. The past couple weeks of being vegetarian I have eaten more than I have in months. Id go days without eating and its really helping me eat more.

6. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

i used to have friends like that, always poking fun at my vegeterianism, but if worst comes to worst for you, then forgive them (forgivness won't change the past, but it will expand the future) and do not hang around them anymore

7. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

yEAH they sound a bit negative. True friends will NOT judge you like that ,,,they will support you. I would assume with your history that you need support. Support is always nice. I would slowly stop hanging out with them if it were me. I had friends that were going through bad times in life & they were very insecure. Has nothing to do with diet. But the constant negativity from her,,, as well as inability to listen to anything GOOD in my life with out cutting it down,,,, made me realize that she isn't a good friend. Constantly underminding or cutting me down on any ideas or things coming into my life was incredibly draining! She was a TAKER ,,not a GIVER. Took me awhile to realize all this but now that I have cut her out of my life it was a breath of fresh air.

8. MentalFloss

MentalFloss Member

There's only one in the group that really bugs me and probably actually knows that it bugs me that she makes those comments, and she's still really cool. I'm just going to confront her about it and if she doesn't shut up I'll stop hanging out with her.

9. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

ok i just got back from this 3 day sports camp thing with my school yesterday, and we had called already to make sure there was some vegetarian food, so that was fine. I got ot the camp and suppertime rolls around and they served lasagna. I took my plate to the counter(everyone else just got served at their table) and the guy says"what are you lacose-intolerant?" and i said "no, why do you ask?" and he said that I was pretty short and it looked like I didn't drink milk, and he wanted to know if that was why I was getting the alternative meal. So i said "no, i'm a vegetarian and I still drink milk." and he goes "oh. well that would do it. for your lack of height and all"

i was thinking what the hell?! why are you so ignorant man and why did they hire you? so thats my story that kinda fits with your church supper tale.i have run into the fish thing many times also. but some ppl don't even like fish anyways.....god all those ppl are stupid