Others Barefoot in Public?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by StraightToes, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardow

wardow Member

@ nightowl420, There isn't much danger of that anymore, since the invention of indoor plumbing, that hasn't been a problem in the U.S. I've been barefoot most of my life and never got anything like that. I've never even got athletes foot because that needs a warm, moist, dark atmosphere to incubate, such as a shoe. All the false stuff you hear from the media and people are just myths.

2. Chuckles1230

Chuckles1230 Member

The only parasite I am aware of, which could be a threat in Western countries, is hookworm, and it is no longer even a remote problem because of modern, indoor toilets. People hookworm is different than hookworm affecting dogs; people do not get infected by the hookworm dogs can catch.

One thing to know is that neither cloth shoes nor sandals protect from catching hookworm in third world areas where latrines are common and hookworm is still a threat. Thus, even if hookworm still existed in the US, you might as well go barefoot if you intended to wear sandals or Chuck Taylor's. Moreover, for most people, hookworm is not a health threat and leave the body in about 6 months. Some people with significant allergies or asthma have even resorted to infecting themselves with hookworm, as the parasites seem to provide significant relief from their severe symptoms.

From my own experience, I have found that whatever it is that I am exposed to, as a fulltime barefooter, has reduced the frequency of colds and sickness to about one every 3 years, instead of several times in the same year. Other serious barefooters report similar results.

For additional relevant info on parasites, see this.

3. nightowl420

nightowl420 Member

No,they are not myths,you are completely off base,this is not something i heard from the media,many many people become the host to some sort of parasite sooner or later,anyone can easily look up the info on the internet.People can walk around thier whole life without ever knowing it,while others have problems when some of these parasites set up camp and keep multiplying in more serious organs like the liver,and even the heart.Plumbing has nothing to do with it,i didnt say everyone would have issues,a large number may not,and athletes feet-thats totally a different ball game,im not here to debate this subject,if you dont believe it dont.

4. nightowl420

nightowl420 Member

Hey Chuckles,i looked at the web site attatched to your post,its about barefooted people getting hookworm,good info.There is more than hookworm out there,i wouldnt even worry about hookworm,there are a slew or others.Im done here,so if some want to laugh at my post,have fun.,and enjoy your parasites,at least you will never be lonely,you will always have them squirming inside of you.

5. Matje

Matje Member

Back on topic:

While walking on a hiking trail today, two nice women saw me and one of them immediately said: That's what I need to do! She had blisters on her heel so her shoes felt really uncomfortable. And she took her shoes off. We talked briefly and walked on.

I've never had any negative comments but this was the first time someone followed my example. It totally made my day!

6. free30

free30 Member

Saw a woman shopping in bare feet at bluewater mall today, i was jealous!!

7. charlie35

charlie35 Member

Wow!

8. charlie35

charlie35 Member

Saw a girl today among a group of photography students with a tutor evidently being shown how to recognise and take interesting shots. No shoes in sight and very black soles. Made my day...summer is coming:sunny:

9. free30

free30 Member

Cool where was that, in London?

10. ChrissySunshine

ChrissySunshine like disco lemonade

I wear flip-flops every day to school and then walk home barefoot :]
    Its the most relaxing part of my day.

11. BTS

BTS Member

12. dennpat

dennpat Member

I went for a walk in my neighborhood about an hour ago. When I was almost at my street, I saw a young guy walking towards me barefoot. I told him I liked his lack of footwear. He thanked me and agreed with me that barefoot was more comfortable. :2thumbsup:

13. mastoh

mastoh Member

Was in Trier, Germany,today, nice weather around 24°c, saw lots of kids walking barefoot on the cobblestone streets and 5 girls in their mid twenties walking barefoot. One of them wasn't carrying any type of footwear with her . The other girls were carrying their sandals in hand. But besides me not any other male barefooter.

14. Madesh

Madesh Member

Bude, North Cornwall yeaterday. Loads of barefooters of all sexes and ages. It is a beach town so this is not uncommon, I bet the tourists would'nt barefoot around their home towns yet they will throw caution to the wind in these places!

15. paulo12345

paulo12345 Member

saw 2 girls barefoot in covent garden in london this weekend and several other females walking barefoot in the streets. all were carrying shoes.

16. tweet

tweet Member

so far I have only seen one person barefoot this year. It was a teenage boy at Wal-mart. I would love to go barefoot at a place like Wal-Mart where there are so many people,but I have not been able to gather up the courage to yet.

17. Chuckles1230

Chuckles1230 Member

Not sure if it is a 'whole US' phenomenon, but greeters are gone in ALL the Walmarts around me (central Indiana). Have been for months. If you are worried, go in the garden store entrance. There is seldom anyone on duty there.

And if you see somebody else barefoot in the store, for gosh sake's take off your own footwear and join them!

18. Chuckles1230

Chuckles1230 Member

Was on a video assignment today in Shelbyville, Indiana (my work requires tie, sox, and shoes), but when I finished, I needed to grab a bite to eat before going home, because we worked right through the lunch hour. Saw a late teen guy coming down the road towards me in an area with no sidewalks, and I admit doing a double-take, because he was barefoot--no shoes in sight. Not friendly surfaces either;--he definitely was not a beginner. Temps were 20°C and he was in sweat pants and hoodie, with the hoodie down.

I went ahead to grab a bite, then when I was finished a short time later, I headed down the road I saw him take. There he was, still walking on a farm road headed out of town. Assuming he came from downtown Shelbyville, he had done at least 6 miles.

Man I sure wish this was more common, rather than a rarity that makes me look twice.

19. PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 Member

There are still greeters at WM's around here, even at the garden entrance.

20. cattard

cattard Member

Saw a girl with her friend at the local ice cream shop...Birkenstocks on the table

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.