other dread soaps besides dr.bronners?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by samluvsthebeatles, May 8, 2007.

1. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

I know there is already a sticky on products but im way too lazy to rummage through there, sorry :) .
    so what im askin is, I'm starting my dreads in about 3 days and I don't have the time or money to order dr.bronners, so, are there any good residue free soaps/shampoos i could buy at a drug store (walgreens or snyders) or even at the local heath foods coop?

2. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

i've got some i can give you... ive got rose, tea tree, and lavander... id be willing to part with half a bar :) that is if you want one

3. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

anything without chemicals in it...handmade soap is good.

4. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

For a few weeks I have been using normal shampoo (WITH CONDITIONER) and I don't see much change, they still lock up like they used to :p

5. oilymoily

oilymoily Banned

you can buy doc bronner's at a health or natural food store, I think. good luck :)

6. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

ill go with half bar :) i totally forgot you even offered lol

i think im going to look at valley natural foods next time i can get my mom to drive me....i want soy-chicken nuggets anyway lol

7. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

they have soy chiken nuggets at cub foods...

which bar would you like half of?

8. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

uummmm whichever one you want to give me half of? lol either lavender or the one you like the least

9. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

i'm willing to part with half the lavender bar... i'll toss half in a bag and bring it to you today :)

10. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

RASTA LOCKS N TWISTS TINGLE SHAMPOO!!!!!!! Smells soooooooo good and does make you all tingly, If it is still the same as when I used it it had Mango and Honey yummmmmmmmmm

11. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

i thought cub foods went out of business or got bought out

12. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

not in my area... more so the rainbows that are going under... though i think someone else did buy cub a while back, but its still going strong... as far as i know :]

13. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

off topic but i don't wanna flood the boards: what is it with parents and friends who are like "DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T GET DREADS!! blahdy blah blah" Why? I ask them and they have no good reason, they just spew uninformed "facts" like you HAVE TO SHAVE THEM OFF and THEY ARE VERY DIRTY and stuff like that. they act like my hair is going to become permanently dreaded forever and ever and the roots with dread and if i don't think they are right for me in four months i will have to shave my head....-_- I know it isn't true but im easily set off and it DRIVES ME UP THE WALL!!!! People who have barely even seen dreads before are telling me about them and that i should get them "professionally done". errrrrrg. ok. done ranting. :D
    but wait...maybe i should get them "professionally done" because it seems every time a "pro" does them, they fall out right away...that would suffice as a good test run..but then again, i could always just let my hair go for a week and call that a test run? it would be free too...im going with that. lol.

14. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

just tell them if you don't end up liking them, you will deal with that when the time comes.... i didnt tell many people that i was getting them before i did, but my mom was super excited about them. the only people who were like 'why?' were matt's little sisters :p

15. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

lol thats cute! Probably would have been a better idea for it to be a surprise, but I'm so excited its hard not to tell everyone! lol Besides, thats a good point, if I'm not diggin them in a month or a week or whatever, ill deal with it then. :) I'm starting them tonight, I washed my hair earlier but i realized i hadn't taken before pics yet so i decided to use normal shampoo and conditioner (if i hadn't i would have had no choice but to start dreads).

16. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

yay good luck :) i cant wait to watch them progress!

17. knotty rye

knotty rye Member

does anybody have homemade recipes?