osho

Discussion in 'Gurus' started by eydis, Jul 26, 2007.

1. celebrating

celebrating Member

What is the Soul?
    Question:

WHAT IS IT THAT YOU CALL ATMAN, SOUL? IS THIS SOUL CONSCIOUSNESS
    ITSELF OR IS IT SOMETHING INDIVIDUAL?

Really, no matter what we call it, we will miss it. Any conceptualization is going to miss the real - any conceptualization - so whatever has been known as the self, the soul, the atman, is not the real thing. It cannot be. All those who have defined it, have defined it with a condition: that they are trying something that is absurd. That which cannot be said they are saying; that which cannot be defined they are defining; that which cannot be known they are making a theory about.

There have been three attitudes about it.

First, there have been the mystics, the knowers, who have remained totally silent about it. They will not give any definition; they say definition is futile. Then there has been another group of mystics - the largest group - that says, "Even an effort that is futile can be helpful. Sometimes even untrue theory leads to truth, sometimes even wrongs may become rights, sometimes even a false step may lead you to a right end. It may look false at the moment, or in the end it may even prove false, but still, false devices can help."

This second group feels that by remaining silent you are still saying something, that nothing can be said. And this second type of mystic has a point. Definitions belong to them. Then there is a third type who has been neither silent nor who has defined. They have just denied the whole thing in order that you will not be at all obsessed with it.

Buddha belongs to this third type. If you ask him whether there is a soul, whether there is God, whether there is an existence beyond life, he will just deny it. Even on the verge of death when someone asked him, "Will you be, beyond death?" he denied it.

He said, "No! I will not be. I will drop out of existence just like a flame that goes out." You can't ask where the flame is when it goes out; it just ceases. That is why Buddha says that nirvana means "cessation of the flame," not just moksha, not just liberation. Buddha says, "This is liberation: to cease completely. To be is to be somewhere, somehow, in slavery." This is the third type.

These three types all quarrel, because one who speaks is bound to feel that those who have remained silent are not compassionate enough, that they should have said something for those who cannot understand silence. And those who have defined, have defined in so many ways that there are quarrels about it: quarreling is bound to be there.

All definitions are devices. One can define in any way; Mahavira defines in one way and Shankara is going to define in another way, because all definitions are equally false or true. It makes no difference. How one defines depends on the type of person he is. There are so many definitions, and those definitions have become so many religions, so many philosophical systems. They have made man's mind so confused by now that really it sometimes appears that those who have remained silent were more compassionate. Definitions have become conflicts. One definition cannot allow the other, otherwise it contradicts itself.

Mahavira tried to say that every definition has some truth in it, but only some; then something remains false about every definition. But it was impossible for Mahavira to have a big following because if you do not define clearly, the confused mind becomes even more confused. If you say, "Every path is right," then you are saying, "There is no path," and one who has come to find the path is just bewildered. You cannot get any help from me if I say, "Every path is right: wherever you go, you go to the divine. Go anywhere, do anything, everything has some truth." It is true, but still it is not helpful.

If you define in a particular way and make the definition absolute, all other definitions become false.

Because Shankara has to define things exactly he may say, "Buddha is not right, he is wrong." But if Buddha is made to appear wrong, it just creates confusion. How can a Buddha be wrong? How can a Christ be wrong? Is only Shankara right? Then there are conflicts.

Even the third attitude, the Buddhist attitude of denying, has not helped. It has not helped because by denying the very search is lost, and without the search there is no need of denying. Very few people are capable of understanding what total cessation is. The lust for life is so deep-rooted that we are even reaching for a god who is a part of our lust for life: we are searching for more life, really.

Even if we are searching for moksha, we are not searching for total death. We want to be there somehow.

Buddha had been asked, and asked continuously for forty years, only one question: "If we are to cease completely, then why this whole effort? It seems meaningless! Just to cease? Just to not be? Why this whole effort?" And yet people around Buddha felt that he had not ceased; really, he had become more - that was the feeling. Buddha had become something more, but still he went on denying and denying.

How can you define something that cannot be defined? But you will either have to be silent or you will have to define it.

As for me, I do not fall into any of these three groups; that is why I cannot be consistent. Each of these three types can be consistent, but I am not concerned with the concept of soul at all. I am always concerned with the questioner, the one who has asked. How can he be helped? If I think that he can be helped through positive faith, then I proclaim it; if I feel that he can be helped by silence, then I remain silent; if I feel he can be helped by definition, then I give the definition. To me, everything is just a device. There is nothing serious about it: it is just a device.

A definition may not be true; in fact, if I have to make it meaningful to you, it cannot be true really.

You have not known what soul is; you have not known what this explosion is which we call Brahman, the divine. You do not know the meaning, you know only the words. Words that you have not experienced are just meaningless sounds. You can create the sound "god," but unless you have known God it is just a sound.

"Heart" is a meaningful word, "cow" is a meaningful word, because you have yourself experienced what they mean. But "god" is just a word for you, "soul" is just a word. If I have to help you, I can help you only with a false definition, because you have no experience of God, no experience of the soul. And unless I can define it by something you know, a definition will be useless.

For a person who has never known a flower but has known a diamond, I must define flowers through diamonds. There is no other way. A flower has nothing to do with diamonds, but still, something can be indicated through it. I can say, "Flowers are living diamonds: living diamonds!" The whole thing is false - diamonds are irrelevant - but if I say, "Flowers are living diamonds, growing diamonds,"

I create a desire in you to experience them. A definition is there only to help you to move to the experience. All definitions are like that.

If you have not known diamonds, if you have not known anything positive for me to define through, then I have to define through negatives. If you do not have any positive feeling for anything, I will define through negatives. I will say, "The misery that you have is not part of the soul. The dukkha, the anguish that you are, is not part of the soul." I have to define negatively in terms of something with which you are crippled, from which you are dying; in terms of something with which you are burdened, which has become just a hell to you. I have to define negatively by saying, "It will not be this, it will be just the opposite."

So with me it depends. It depends. I have no absolute answers, I have only devices - only psychological answers. And the answer does not depend on me, it depends on you: because of you I have to give a particular answer.

That is why I cannot be a guru - never! Buddha can become one but I never can. Because you are so inconsistent, every individual is so different, how can I become consistent? I cannot. And I cannot create a sect, because for this consistency is very much needed. If you want to create a sect you must be consistent, foolishly consistent; you must deny all inconsistencies. They are there but you must deny them, otherwise you cannot attract followers. So I am less a guru and more like a psychiatrist - plus something. To me, you are meaningful. If you can understand this, then something more can be said.

By "consciousness" I mean a movement toward total aliveness. You are never totally alive; sometimes you are more alive - that you know - and sometimes you are less alive. And when you

are more alive you feel happy. Happiness is nothing but an interpretation of your greater aliveness.

If you love someone, then you become more alive with him, and that greater aliveness gives you the feeling of happiness. Then you go on projecting the reasons for your happiness onto someone else.

When you encounter nature you are more alive, when you are on a mountain you become more alive, and when you are just living with machines you are less alive, because of the whole association.

With trees you become more alive because you have once been trees. Deep down we are just walking trees - with roots in the air, not in the earth. And when you face the ocean you feel more alive because the first life was born in the ocean. In fact, in our bodies we still have the same composition of water as the ocean, the same salt quantity as the ocean has.

When you are with a woman, if you are of the opposite sex, you begin to feel more alive than with a man. With a man you feel less alive because nothing is pulling you out. You are enclosed, the opposite energy pulls you out; the flame flickers, you can be more alive. And whenever you begin to feel more alive, you begin to feel happy.

When we use the word soul, we mean total aliveness; total aliveness not with someone else but with yourself; total aliveness with no outward causes. The ocean is not there and you become oceanic; the sky is not there and you become the whole space; the beloved is not there and you are just love, nothing else.

What I mean is that you begin to be alive independently. There is no dependence on anything or anyone: you are liberated. And with this liberation, this inner liberation, your happiness cannot be lost. It is total aliveness, it is total consciousness. It cannot be lost.

With this total aliveness many things happen that cannot really be understood unless they have happened. But tentatively I can give you this definition of the soul as being totally conscious, totally alive, totally blissful, without being bound by anything. If you begin to love, or if you can be happy without a reason, then you are soul, not a body. Why then?

By body I mean the part of your soul that always exists in relation to the outside existence. You begin to feel sad when some cause for sadness is there, or you begin to feel good when some cause for happiness is there, but you never feel yourself without something else being there. That feeling, that state when nothing is there, but you are in your total aliveness, in your total consciousness, is the soul.

But this is a tentative definition. It just indicates; it doesn't define, it just shows. Much is there, but it is just a finger pointing to the moon. Never mistake the finger for the moon. The finger is not the moon, it is just an indication. Forget the finger and look at the moon. But all definitions are like that.

You ask whether the soul is individual. It is a meaningless question, but it is pertinent because of you. It is like a question that a blind man would ask.

A blind man moves with his staff. He cannot move without it: he searches and gropes in the dark with it. If we talk to him about operating on his eyes to heal them so he can see, the blind man can ask, very pertinently, "When I have my eyes will I still be able to grope in the dark with my staff?"

If we say, "You will not need your staff," he cannot believe it. He will say, "Without my staff I cannot exist, I cannot live. What you are saying is not acceptable. I cannot conceive of it. Without my staff, I am not. So what will become of my staff? First you tell me!"

Really, this individuality is like the blind man's staff. You are groping in the dark with an ego because you have no soul; this ego, this "I," is just a groping because you do not have eyes. The moment you have become totally alive, the ego is just lost. It was part of your blindness, part of your nonaliveness or partial aliveness, part of your unconsciousness, part of your ignorance. It just drops.

It is not that you are individual or you are not individual; both things become irrelevant. Individuality is not relevant, but questions continue because the source of questioning remains the same.

When Maulingaputta came to Buddha for the first time he asked many questions. Buddha said, "Are you asking in order to solve the questions or are you only asking to get answers?"

Maulingaputta said, "I have come to ask you, and you have begun to ask me! Let me ponder over it, I must think about it." He thought about it and the second day he said, "Really, I have come to solve them."

Buddha said to him, "Have you asked these same questions to anyone else as well?"

Maulingaputta said, "I have asked everyone continuously for thirty years."

Buddha said, "By asking for thirty years you must have got many answers - many, many. But have any proved to be the answer?"

Maulingaputta said, "None!"

Then Buddha said, "I will not give you any answers. In thirty years of questioning many answers have been given; I can add some more but that is not going to help. So I will give you the solution, not the answer."

Maulingaputta said, "Okay, give it to me."

But Buddha said, "It cannot be given by me, it has to be grown in you. So remain for one year with me silently. Not a single question will be allowed. Be totally silent, be with me, and after one year you can ask; then I will give you the answer."

Sariputta, the chief disciple of Buddha, was sitting nearby under a tree. He began to laugh.

Maulingaputta asked, "Why is Sariputta laughing? What is there to laugh about?"

Sariputta said, "Ask right now if you have to ask; do not wait for one year. We have been fooled - this happened to me too - because after one year we never ask. If you have remained totally silent for a year, then the very source of questioning drops. And this man is deceptive! This man is very deceptive," Sariputta said. "After one year he will not give you any answers."

So Buddha said, "I will remain with my promise, Sariputta. I have remained with my promise with you, too. It is not my fault that you do not ask."

One year went by and Maulingaputta remained silent:

silently doing meditation and becoming more and more silent outwardly and inwardly. Then he became a silent pool, with no vibrations, no waves.

He forgot that the year had passed. The day that he was to ask had come but he himself forgot.

Buddha said, "There used to be a man called Maulingaputta here. Where is he? He has to ask some question. The year has passed, the day has come, so he must come to me." There were ten thousand monks there and everyone tried to find out who Maulingaputta was. And Maulingaputta also tried to find out where he was!

Buddha called to him and said, "Why are you looking around? You are the man. And I have to fulfill my promise, so you ask and I will give you the answer."

Maulingaputta said, "The one who was asking is dead; that is why I was looking around to see who this man Maulingaputta is. I too have heard his name, but he is long since gone."

The original source must be transformed, otherwise we go on asking; and there are persons who will be supplying you with answers. You feel good in asking, they feel good in answering, but what goes on is only a mutual deception

OSHO

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i met him, i think, i can't remember
    no actually i met that sri sri sri sri sri sri sri sri ravi shankar guy
    and we hated each other - it was palpable

i sort of like osho
    for being a chameleon who changed his looks and story and
    philosophy and everything else at whim

of all the goofball yogis i would rather spend an hour over a meal chating with him

i remember chatting with a vegan buddhist lama once and his teeth were crusted with multi colored vegetables
    and it was really hard to pay attention to him.

osho was a fun guy

he was also a genius and completley full of shit
    and added zero to the cumulation of learning on this planet.

and lots of people went to jail and died of aids because of him.

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

A charlatan.

4. celebrating

celebrating Member

http://goldennuggets-osho.blogspot.com/

"I locked my husband out of the house last week for playing around with other women," sobs young Mrs. Bedspring in the confession box. "And now he wants me to take him back. What should I do, Father?"You must take him back," replies Father Fungus, patting her hand through the curtain. "It is your Christian duty. But first," Fungus continues, tightening his grip, "how would you like to get even with the bastard!" ..OSHO

5. celebrating

celebrating Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WoMAjHNLM0"]The Rebellious Flower - The Movie.wmv - YouTube
    OshoHeritage

6. celebrating

celebrating Member

This PAIN is not to make you sad, remember. That's where people go on missing.... This pain is just to make you more alert--because people become alert only when the arrow goes deep into their heart and wounds them.

Otherwise they don't become alert. When life is easy, comfortable, convenient, who cares? Who bothers to become alert? When a friend dies, there is a possibility. When your woman leaves you alone--those dark nights, you are lonely. You have loved that woman so much and you have staked all, and then suddenly one day she is gone.

Crying in your loneliness, those are the occasions when, if you use them, you can become aware. The arrow is hurting: it can be used. The pain is not to make you miserable, the pain is to make you more aware! And when you are aware, misery disappears.

#Osho

7. celebrating

celebrating Member

8. celebrating

celebrating Member

9. celebrating

celebrating Member

[​IMG]

Taken from Osho Transformation Tarot

The moment one is capable of feeling grateful for both pain and pleasure, without any distinction, without any choice, simply feeling grateful for whatsoever is given… Because if it is given by God, it must have a reason in it. We may like it, we may not like it, but it must be needed for our growth.

Winter and summer are both needed for growth. Once this idea settles in the heart, then each moment of life is of gratitude. Let this become your meditation and prayer: thank God every moment–for laughter, for tears, for everything. Then you will see a silence arising in your heart that you have not known before. That is bliss.

The first thing is to accept life as it is. Accepting it, desires disappear. Accepting life as it is, tensions disappear, discontent disappears; accepting it as it is, one starts feeling very joyful–and for no reason at all!

When joy has a reason, it is not going to last long. When joy is without any reason, it is going to be there forever. It happened in the life of a very famous Zen woman. Her name was Rengetsu…. Very few women have attained to the Zen ultimate. This one is one of those rare women.

She was on a pilgrimage and she came to a village at sunset and begged for lodging for the night, but the villagers slammed their doors. They were against Zen. Zen is so revolutionary, so utterly rebellious, that it is very difficult to accept it. By accepting it you are going to be transformed; by accepting it you will be passing through a fire, you will never be the same again. Traditional people have always been against all that is true in religion. Tradition is all that is untrue in religion. So those must have been traditional Buddhists in the town, and they didn’t allow this woman to stay in the town; they threw her out.

It was a cold night, and the old woman was without lodging, and hungry. She had to make her shelter underneath a cherry tree in the fields. It was really cold, and she could not sleep well. And it was dangerous too–wild animals and all. At midnight she awoke–because of too much cold–and saw, in the night sky, the fully-opened cherry blossoms laughing to the misty moon. Overcome with the beauty, she got up and bowed down in the direction of the village, with these words:

Through their kindness in refusing me lodging I found myself beneath the blossoms on the night of this misty moon… She feels grateful. With great gratitude she thanks those people who refused her lodging; otherwise she would be sleeping under an ordinary roof and she would have missed this blessing–these cherry blossoms, and this whispering with the misty moon, and this silence of the night, this utter silence of the night. She is not angry, she accepts it. Not only accepts it, welcomes it–she feels grateful.

One becomes a buddha the moment one accepts all that life brings, with gratitude.

10. celebrating

celebrating Member

http://www.oshonews.com/2015/03/veena-a-discovery-in-luoyang/

[​IMG]

A Discovery in Luoyang

Featured On the Go — 15 March 2015

An excerpt from Veena’s intriguing latest book, ‘A Mountain in China’.

Panky and I were really fortunate that our trip to Song Mountain had co-incided with the visit of the Dutch kungfu students because, at our very excellent meal the following evening, Meilin told us that she had hired a vehicle to take her students to see the famous Longmen Caves near the city of Luoyang, about an hour’s journey from Dengfeng, and would we like to join them. As the Longmen Cave complex, a masterpiece of Buddhist rock carvings, is one of the most important tourist destinations in China, we of course jumped at the chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the caves cut into the cliff

The rest of the ride was relatively uneventful and we arrived safely at what looked like a very beautiful scenic area although it was covered in the kind of fog that so often blankets places in this area. This, however, gave it a rather mystical atmosphere which, it turned out, was really appropriate for what we were about to see.

Luoyang was one of the ancient capitals of China – at different times, depending on which dynasty was in power. When the Northern Wei dynasty (386-534), which actively supported Buddhism, moved its capital to Luoyang, work commenced on an extraordinary project. Over a two-hundred-year period, more than one hundred thousand images and statues of Buddha were carved into a limestone cliff wall along the Yi River.

The word ‘longmen’ looks like an English surname but in actual fact it is Chinese for ‘Dragon’s Gate’. The word is in tribute to the Emperor Yu, who lived about two hundred years BC, and who is still famous for building checks on the Yellow River to prevent it from disastrously flooding the plains through which it flowed. The most famous of the ‘checks’ was originally called Dragon’s Gate.

Although now a protected UNESCO World Heritage site, the damage by vandalism to these carvings is devastating. From the beginning of the twentieth century, particularly, the heads of statues, or sometimes whole statues, were removed by unscrupulous collectors and sold to museums and private individuals all over the world. During the Cultural Revolution and earlier periods of anti-Buddhist feeling, vandalism on a massive scale occurred.

It was painful to see so much evidence of mindless destruction, yet the treasures that remained were awe-inspiring. The passage ways along the cliff have been sensitively designed to make the exploration of the caves and their carvings easy and exciting and we meandered our way along the cliff almost overwhelmed at such a huge artistic endeavour. There were also a few signs in relatively good English conveniently placed so at times we were able to get some explanations of what we were seeing.

Then, about a third of the way along the cliff, I stopped, astonished. Outside a smallish cave there was a sign saying ‘The Ten Thousand Buddha Cave’ (Wanfo Dong). Indeed there must have been ten thousand buddhas – carved all over the walls and ceiling with most of the small, bas-relief statues being only about one and a half inches high. But this proliferation of buddhas was not what stunned me. It was the words. ‘Ten Thousand Buddhas’ was one of Osho’s most favourite phrases which he used over and over again. When we sat each evening in meditation around him in our Buddha Hall in Pune, he referred often to us being a gathering of ten thousand buddhas.

As there were nowhere near ten thousand people there, I just thought he was being poetic and imaginative, but here was more evidence of his connections to China – he was using a phase already in use about fifteen hundred years before. In fact, when I later did research on the use of this concept, I found that it originated even before the time that the Longmen Caves were being carved.

I had to sit down for awhile and contemplate this discovery. Osho had spoken at length about Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, Lieh Tzu, Sengcan (Japanese name: Sosan) and other Chinese masters, but in this Song Mountain area I was finding physical places which bore out his knowledge of the ancient spiritual heritage here and his connection with it. Again, I felt encouraged that my own yearning to come to this area was not just a fanciful mind-game but something deeply important for me.

Silently happy I caught up with the others who were all standing in front of the magnificent seventeen-metre-high central Buddha statue called Losana, whose androgynous facial features are said to be modelled on the Tang empress, Wu Zetian, who funded the carving. This buddha statue touched me even more than my hitherto favourite, the Daibutsu in Kamakura in Japan.

The Losana Buddha was near the end of the two-kilometre-long cliff and we started our return journey by crossing the river over an attractive bridge which gave us a greater perspective of the cliff as it extended down the river. Picturesque small tourist barges painted red and gold slowly sailed up and down, adding bright touches of colour to the otherwise misty scene.

To get back to our vehicle we boarded the little tourist carts which we were amused to find had some of the best (in terms of quaintness) Chinese signs we had seen. We were instructed: Please do not frolic in the car or Please contain your body inside the car. While waiting for our vehicle which Meilin had summoned, we feasted on Chinese snacks – not chips and chocolate, but roasted corn cobs or sweet potatoes from heated barrows operated by charming, often toothless, old men or women.

A beautiful day. And my love for Song Mountain and my conviction that there was a mystery here for me to solve had just grown stronger.

Excerpt from Veena’s book
    Read Dhiren’s review: A Mountain in China

11. celebrating

celebrating Member

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the people in the state of oregon who ran him off were idiots. i just wish his robes were green instead of red.

this world, that world, it can all be beautiful when we're not trying to make a mess of it.

personally i think THAT was his point, or a major part of it.

at any rate, i choose it to be mine.

1 person likes this.
  13. celebrating

celebrating Member

14. celebrating

celebrating Member

[​IMG]

Parallel Millions of Lines of Time Exist

Hot Chillies — 02 March 2015

[​IMG]
    Your time is created within you. Your time is not my time.
    There exist as many times parallel as there are minds.
    There is not one time.
    If there is one time, then there will be difficulty.
    Then amidst the whole miserable human-kind, nobody can become a Buddha
    because we belong to the same time.
    No, it is not the same.
    My time comes from me – it is my creativity.
    If this moment is beautiful, the next moment is born more beautiful – this is my time.
    If this moment is sad for you, then a sadder moment is born out of you – that is your time.
    Parallel millions of lines of time exist.
    And there are few people who exist without time – those who have attained to no-mind.
    They have no time because they don’t think about past; it is gone, so only fools think about it.
    When something is gone, it is gone.
    Osho, Yoga: The Alpha and the Omega Vol. 2, Ch 4, Q 2 (excerpt)

15. celebrating

celebrating Member

Love is an inner flowering. it arises from some dormant energy within, yet all of us search for love on the outside.
    But all of us search for love in the beloved...

OSHO

16. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

osho dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDvWrpxpJ8U

17. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

I like him, he's a funny guy

18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

^they said that about Bob Hope too.

19. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

He sounds like a sociopath. Unfortunately most sociopaths are extremely intelligent, so it's probably very easy for him to spin this web of lies and sound "enlightened". And there are so many people out there who think they need this sort of guidance, so they will just eat it up.

20. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

You're right Mattekat, in the sense that nobody needs the guidance. It happens naturally over time, conscience is inherent.. however, guidance is required if you want to speed the up the process of liberation, in much the same way that it's helpful to have a guide if you're hiking Everest. That's all Osho stood for in my mind, nothing I've come across of his has been a lie - however a lot of it can highlight our cultural biases and habits.