original anti-war flyer from the march on washington 1969

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by deezee, Jun 5, 2004.

1. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

PEace,

i think one of my anti war quotes " if you car, do something" would work with people lacking in activism!

later

the tired flwoer child

2. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

We need to put an end to the war!

3. Bonghobbit

Bonghobbit Member

Prolonging the war by protesting, yea, just more spin, all America is to me anymore is a marketing campaign by the rich/powerful to stay so. Any sign of the Wooden Ships yet?

4. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

I was there! I lost my Penn State matric card in the Reflecting Pool when we all went wading. Some pigs on horseback came to bust the few people that were skinny-dipping. Later on, the cops formed a line and were telling us which way we could go and which way we couldn't. When they put on their gas masks, we found out what the effects of tear gas were.

We finally decided to split a little before midnight. My car sounded funny, so I pulled into a garage, and the mechanic told me it was my driveshaft. He said I could make it home if I kept it under 40 mph. Along US 1, I was pulled over for going too slow, because according to the cop, I could be hit by a drunk that was speeding, so after staying off the road and discussing it for a while, we decided to stay just 10 mph under the limit. By the time we were just past Belair, the clunking got so bad I had to pull over.

We tried to thumb a ride back to the phone we had just passed, but I guess we looked too freaky for anyone to stop, so we walked. The phone was right across from a garage, which wasn't open yet, so we called the state cops who said they'd come over and get us. I had a few tabs of acid in a vial, so I hid it in the tall grass by the phone booth. By the time the cop came, it was almost time for the garage to open, so he waited around until I arranged for the guy to tow my car.

On the way to the station, the cop kept fiddling with the radio dial trying to find something to listen to. He was going off shift, so another cop took us to the bus station. The second cop found a good station right away!

A month or so later, my car was ready, so my roommate drove me down to pick it up. My first stop was the phone booth!

Hey, I even remember the name of the garage: Gibson's!

5. make art not war

make art not war Member

hey man can I say that I would love to be at an anti-war protest...there are a couple of problems...I live in Las Vegas, a city filled with such violence...and with a lot of violence come a lot of pigs...protest sometimes makes the fuzz think "Something bad is gonna go down we should stop this protest before something dangerous"...the only protest I have seen was one to give give culinary workers insurance...my mom was in that protest and I had to help...I WAS ONLY 6...I didn't know what war was...I didn't know what protest was...I could barely read at that time...all I remember was 2 people getting beaten and taken to jail...for trying to get help in paying for their and their children's health...I once tried to start a protest but nobody took me seriously...not even my close friends...they thought that I was joking and that I was trying to draw attention...well they were almost correct...I want to get the attention of people to make them understand that violence doesn't solve anything...so then after that I started protesting through material that everyone that doesn't need but wants...and that's money. I started to take all of my mothers money and write messages on it...then a couple of weeks ago my mom got me a bag full of white shirts and I started to write on them with a marker. I wrote things like the famous Hoffman quote "Murder in Uniform is heroic, in costume it is a crime" and on the back I wrote "Everything is topsy-turvy"...I've tried to start my own marches, wrote on American currency, wrote on white t-shirts, even spray-painted the sidewalk...but I guess a child's voice can't be heard over the sound of cash registers, bullets, or slot-machines, and the written messages can't be seen because of pollution, the tears of a loved one of a black man that has just been gunned down by the fuzz, or the darkness that fills the eyes of the dead...you can call me radical, but the 60's can never come back, because no one these days believes that...
    [​IMG]

6. seyorni

seyorni Member

Amusing memories of the March on Washington:

Anti-war activists were camped out everywhere -- in the museums, on the lawns, in the parks. Police and security forces were posted everywhere, but were powerless and trying their best to be inconspicuous, ("I see nothink, NOTHINK!") The reflecting pools were full of nude bathers. Polite yippies offered beleaguered officers a toke of their Js as they passed. Oddly, these were invariably, and politely, declined.

The halls of Georgetown University's dorms were lined with sleeping bags and assorted hippies. The air was blue with pot smoke. I observed a short haired, conservative-looking student emerge from his room in a bathrobe, holding a toothbrush. He walked nervously past me down the hall to the men's showers. A minute later he emerged with a shocked expression and scurried back to his room. All the facilities were, at that point, full of happy naked people of both sexes, queued for the showers.