Organic Ways of obtaining Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Organic Cannabis Growing' started by Dark||Nomad, May 30, 2007.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

Yeah thats sounds a good ideas. Im going to give that up on next soil mix, and I really havent used it alot.. as you said mainly on the surface.
    But thats very good to know now.

2. BlueWaters

BlueWaters Member

If you are able to grow it outdoors, then ..........

When you prepare the soil for planting, plant a "green manure" crop. This can be wheat, rye, barley, oats, chard, spinach etc.. When it grows to about knee height (before it goes to seed) dig it into the ground and let it rot in the soil. Legume crops are also good nitrogen fixers.

About the "piss" issue. Peeing was my first thought. Other things I grow (but eat not smoke) such as spinach, cabbage, etc., get piddled on and don't taste of piss. My compost heap gets pissed on as it's good to help the organic matter break down. My fruit trees get whizzed on and it still tastes like normal fruit. But, then I'm not smoking it :D

I haven't grown my own weed -yet. But, I have known someone who grew their own and pissed on it. Never mentioned a piss taste. Peeing in the compost is fine, so if you are worried about smoking something that tastes like pee, then I would say in the compost is fine, but not on the plant. (If you still insist on pissing on the plant, do so around the root/base and not on the plant itself, this can burn the growth/folliage and wreck your plant - also water in. Never undiluted pee).

Not a good idea to pee on anything (compost or plants) if you are on chemo, heart med's, diabetic or some other health conditions that require you to take stronger med's (including synthetic hormones).

I was just perusing this forum as I want to start growing my own and knew, I could at least comment on the "pee" issue. :D

ALSO, one more nitrogenous fertiliser/fixer. Weeds in your garden. (Not weed, but weed-s). Weeds, before they go to seed and nothing with runners, into a 50 litre bin (I live in metric land) about half full, fill the rest of the way with water. Leave for about a month (preferably in a warm spot) with lid on firmly (don't want it to blow off). Remove left over unrotted matter (after one month) and use water on plants.

<< organic home gardener of many things. :D

3. TomDijon

TomDijon Member

If you're looking for something that will continually put nitrogen in the soil you could just plant beans around them. Beans are nitrogen fixing, meaning they actually take nitrogen out of the air and put it into the soil.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

5. Goober328

Goober328 Member

Piss is hard to beat. Just piss in a plastic gallon milk jug till you fill it up. Add a little dirt to it and let it set about 30 days with a lid. Start filling up more. This come straight from Mother Earth News so you know it got to be right. Makes your garden smell a little pissy.

Goober

6. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Yep, beans. thats all I had to say really. That and Minnows in the rainwater barrel.

7. Algreen

Algreen Member

The bioavailable nitrogen surrounding bean plants comes from symbiotic bacteria called rhizobia that forms nodules within the roots and fixes N from the atmosphere into forms useable by plants. There are other strains of bacteria that have these N fixing properties as well. I use Dr Earth potting soil as a base full of organic matter and then the tomato veg fertilizer from Dr Earth during the veg stage and their bud and bloom booster during flowering cycle. It contributes these nitrogen fixer bacteria, root extending exo/endo micorrhizae, and other bacteria that break down organic matter in soil to provide plants with a controlled nutrient supply. Check it out if you're interested. It's not as homemade as constructing soil yourself, but it's a sure way to get all macro nutrients and trace elements to your plants using naturally derived ingredients. The fertilizer contains fish bone meal, feather meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, soft rock phosphate, fish meal, mined potassium sulfate, humic acid, and seaweed extract.

My indoor plants grew steadily during the veg cycle and straight exploded during the flower cycle.

I love cloudy trichomes with a hint of amber. Harvest time!

8. RichardBarton102

RichardBarton102 Members

If you're looking for orgarnic products then fish meal and blood meal are two quick sources of nitrogen. But in the long run, worm casting will tend to provide more nitrogen. And in order to maximize the effect, you should prepare the soil properly from the start.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017