Organic Ways of obtaining Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Organic Cannabis Growing' started by Dark||Nomad, May 30, 2007.

1. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

What is the best method to get nitrogen either into your compost or directly on site??

2. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Try Bloodmeal!

3. passittotheleft

passittotheleft Senior Member

If you water down your piss 1 part piss, 20 parts water, it should work great. I haven't used this method but have had it suggested by good growers.

4. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

Ive beenthinking about getting some blood and bone meal at walmart. Bloodmeal for the veg. growth and then some bonemeal for flowering.

5. skullkidnate

skullkidnate ナサニエル

Yea I saw that today. I was gonna get some but TOTALLY forgot.

6. bngripa

bngripa Member

Coffee grounds are agreat source of nitrogen.

7. bngripa

bngripa Member

Composted chicken poop works well too.

8. thetrippyhippy

thetrippyhippy Member

if you want to get real cheap just get some wood ashes (black ashes) and make sure they are very finely powdered then simply use small amounts to raise nitrogen, wood ashes are almost all nitrates

9. dec1111

dec1111 Member

You lot being serious ? lol sorry im new i got a few plants but alli have done to keep them growing good is water them and miracle grow works wonders, one of my plants is like a metre tall and i used miracle grow on it while another i have which i planted at same time is small because i didnt use miracle grow..

10. thetrippyhippy

thetrippyhippy Member

miracle grow isnt organic, or natural for that matter

11. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

He said the "M"word!!!

12. Ganja_Goo_Ninja

Ganja_Goo_Ninja the penis mightier

There are plenty of growers who not only use MiracleGro products, they actually swear by them. To each their own :)

I used them when I first started, but since changing over to an all organic soil/fert regime, I swear my buds have been bigger, tastier, smellier and more potent then ever before.

Be careful with bloodmeal, it turned my soil very acidic when I used it. It works great if you can balance your soil's pH, but be mindful.

13. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Soma wrote a good book on organic growing but I always point people to BOG's grow book. He has some excellent soil receipes in there. Think Bat guano, fish emulsion, etc... typically smelly stuff :)

14. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

I've used diluted urine as fertilizer. Works well. Blood meal works too, but I saved myself headache and just mixed the blood and bone meals and apply them at once. the calcium in the bone meal helps negate excess acidity from the blood meal. If you're going to add urine to your compost, add it straight, the microorganisms can handle it. If you're using it for plant food, then you'd better dilute it heavily (1:10 or 1:20 ratio) if you don't want to nute burn your babies.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

Urine is very acidic. Even if you dilute it. I wouldnt use ti on MJ plants during flowering. unless your very good at "flushing"..lol, nutes. This will make your plants taste just like piss when you burn it. No shit. Ive used piss as a deer deterrent. But only using above plants and the run off is very diluted to plants. But also havent heard of any good report on it either..
    Another thing was that Tommy Chong, mentioned this in 'Nice Dreams' as I seen and if a dummy listened to that advice to piss on the plants, well Im sure they never did that again. Urine will likely cause some serious side effect straight from the wang to soil.. and potted plants..

16. Born25YearsTooLate

yeah, I use it mostly on the compost, and when I thinned it, I'd usually adjust the acidity with some diatomaceous earth (calcium based) or something that way. I also grow organically in soil, so that makes a difference, and I don't use it during flowering.

usually, unless you add it to the compost or do some things to fix the nitrogen in it, you're going to lose a bit of that as ammonia, and it'll make your grow smell like a cathouse latrine.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

Wouldnt lime lower acidity, I dont know that why Im asking.. but Im really careful now not to add heavy nutes to soils mix preps. I just take it from the bag add little as whatever I see new in soils reports on weed.
    Worm cast , fish emusion , vermic/perlite , lime , Wood charcoal< my own little thing I dont know if it does anything just looks cool.. I heard it helps filter water and balance ph so I put it on top a bit and its still all natural? idk. I aslo use fish tank water. I have living plants and fish in it.

18. Born25YearsTooLate

yeah, lime is calcium carbonate, so it'd lower acidity. I use Diatomaceous earth, because it is also calcium based, but it has less of a 'hit' than lime. (slower release, as it's in a semi-crystalline form) It also has the interesting property of being an organic (mechanical) insecticide, as it has a good water holding capacity, and the structure of it causes microscopic scratches in the insect's body armor, causing them to lose fluids, which the DE promptly draws out fairly quickly. It also helps hold water in the soil due to that semi-porous crystalline quality. Please note, that if you use this, make sure you get what's called 'food grade'. Not the muck for pool filters, as you'll get silicosis if you breathe that into your lungs. the stuff for agricultural feeds is what you want, 50 pound sack's like..15$ and will last you for a long long time.
    For your other things- Worm castings, A-ok
    Fish Emulsion- again, A-ok.

Vermiculite/perlite - useful as things to alter soil texture, add lightness, and some minor water holding, but do nothing from a nutritive standpoint

Lime- careful with this, as you can use too much, but it's good for balancing ph if your soil's acid.

hardwood charcoal is actually basic (alkaline) when water passes through the microscpoic ash on its surface (water washed through hardwood ash is a source of sodium hydroxide aka caustic soda, aka lye used for making soaps, and as a drain cleaner. This can also produce potassium hydroxide aka caustic potash) Both of which will drastically raise your ph in large enough amounts. (makes your soil alkaline)

However, activated carbon (activated charcoal. which you get for your fishtank carbon filters) which is made from charocoal pyrolized (heated to gas producing temperatures) in an oxygen free environment (600-900C) and then force-steamed at roughly 600-1200C, it expands to have a massive surface area, and is >99% pure carbon. This stuff is excellent for ph balance, and water filtration, because it adsorbs (chemically bonds) to impurities. (that's also why I recommend using it to help conceal your stash, as it chemically bonds the volatile terpines that cause pot to smell and get sniffed by those obnoxious puppies)

The fish water- again, absolutely wonderful, as it's nitrogen containing, and if you use the mucky stuff that collects in your fish tank, you also have the advantage of adding algae meal and fish crap to the mix.

The mix I use is a combination of bone meal, blood meal, diatomaceous earth, crushed multivitamins dissolved in boiling water then cooled (for trace minerals), a small amount of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in a mixture of sterilized compost, peat moss, and enough sand to lighten the soil texture. When I use urine, I first neutralize the ammonia with vinegar (just plain white, 5% kitchen vinegar) then dilute and add enough diatomaceous earth to bring the ph up to 6.8 or so. If I need to, I'll add a little lime, or a little wood ash, If the ph seems 'stuck', but I prefer to put the wood ash into the compost. (the same with any charcoal that miraculously makes it through my smoker unburned)

I think my geek is showing.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

<<<GEEK>>..:D
    Ok I thought the charcoal were the same. But I must be doing a good job balancing it out. Then again Im sometimes rigged for faliure. But not often.
    But I have used the fish filter stuff thats how I got the idea..
    its only a 15gl fishtank. which reminds me, time to go check conditions. lol.

LOL, like lime is CC, Im a frickin idiot. lol. :)

20. Born25YearsTooLate

yeah, that's actually a pretty common mistake to make, as the activated carbon used to be known as 'activated charcoal'

They're not exactly the same, and it takes a LOT of ashy buildup to get those alkali compounds leached out, but over time, it can cause problems if you use a lot of it. If you're just using a bit on the surface, then it's usually no biggie, but if you're wanting it for ph balance and water filtration, get the activated carbon. you can bulk buy it, but I wouldn't be buggered with it, tbh.