Organic VS. Non-Organic

Discussion in 'Organic Cannabis Growing' started by xÆx, Dec 16, 2006.

1. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Not much activity in this forum. Maybe that can change soon. There are so many reasons to go organic that have already been touched upon, but I'm gonna throw out something that I haven't seen mentioned here yet: Brix. You just won't get the same kinds of brix readings on chem salt fed plants that you will with organics. Period. High brix equals high plant health. High plant health means high nutrient content (i.e. it's nutritious) as well as better immune system and functions. That means that the plant(s) in question will be that much less susceptible to shit like powdery mildew and spider mites.

As for which microbes are doing what, it's far more complex than just the nitrification cycle (the oxidization of NH4 into other compounds, typically the cycle is NH4-->NO2-->NO3, and plants prefer their nitrogen in ammoniacal form, but then there's the issue of how forms of nitrogen and other macronutrients affect pH).

The unit you're talking about does sound as though he's set up a home for microbes, pretty much as you'd want to do with a fish tank, too.

What do you think happens when you replace the rhizospheric sugar exudate with your own, or are adding to the total sum sugars in the rhizosphere? I believe that two things happen--I culture more microbes and the plant takes up some of these sugars. My best results have occurred using sugars other than molasses, too.

2. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

agree it is more complex then just the nitrogen cycle these bacteria are independent of the plant and known as free living and only really do the first step of the conversion the other step is done by symbiotic bacteria living in the rhozoshere zone. plant roots will release compounds that attract and feed these bacteria so they can fix the nitrogen into a form the plant can use. the plant will vary the compounds it releases to influence the symbiotic bacteria into producing the different foods it needs for its stage of development.

edit. forgot the fish tank filter thing seemed strange to me cos of the above and the plant foods we buy the first step of conversion has been done and the real workers are the symbiotic bacteria that only live around the roots.

3. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

More critters are at work than just bacteria. We have to include fungi (they're such fun guys!), ciliates, protozoans, amoeba, flagellates, etc, etc, etc. I think the critters you're talking about that are in direct contact with the rhizosphere are endo-mycorrhizae, they're the primary drivers, movers & shakers of this subterranean feast.