Oregon Price Drop

Discussion in 'Cannabis News' started by cookiecache, Nov 12, 2014.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

As far as boutique market disappearing or even fading in importance I don't see that happening by virtue of the counter cultures long experience with it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

First of all, there are no additives in high quality tobacco. There are hundreds of chemical compounds, yes just as there are in weed, and some of them can be very bad for your health. Same with smoking weed, some would argue.
    There are plenty of discerning consumers and yes even connoisseurs of tobacco. Growing, aging and curing tobacco is a very studied process. To produce a consistently satisfying product is not easy. Any contaminants, curing temps, packaging, are all closely monitored. Do you really think it would be any different for weed? Your argument about year old product is also ludicrous, "fresh' is a stupid mantra issued by greedy growers that simply want to avoid the time for a proper cure and get the bud as quickly from plant to market as possible. It takes time to age and cure weed.
    Most people have no idea anymore just how wonderfully smooth and tasty properly cured weed can be. Everyones so used to choking on acrid turpines that should have long been cured off...

You can't compare what happens in a black market situation ie the soap in europe to what would happen in a completely legal consumer driven market.

2 people like this.
  3. Gongshaman

So maybe it's not so much a matter of greed but more that most growers just flat don't know how to age and cure weed. It's at least a part of the craft thats been grossly neglected in the age of hydroponics and halides, IMO

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It got more expensive in Colorado after legalization. People realized they can charge more and still be less then the retail stores. In the past there was only medical to beat. Even medical places charge more now.

Thankfully I get it the old fashioned way for better deals.

5. Gongshaman

Thats fucked up man. It figures though. Fucking greedy bastards.

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i'm one of thos greedy bastards.....

you can just keep paying me those big bucks.....like buddy says....all i gotta do is beat 300 an ounce that people pay legally here.....

why would i drop so you can have the fruits of my very hard labor......i carried a few thousand liters of water this summer and chumps like you are paying me for every fucking step of it

haha.....

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I don't see it changing either. The tax is so high you pay as much or more than the highest black market prices. It is well known that dealers still have a market. But there are so many tourists paying the prices the state still makes money. So I doubt any vote to lower taxes will happen.

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The initial price surge in restrictive legalization isn't indicative of what will happen in the long run, just what happened in that specific scenario.

People will take up growing, plant numbers and weight limits will be removed (further lowering the risk that drives up prices), penalties for selling will be removed, and yes, restrictive taxes will be removed when it's seen that they're making less money than states with lower taxes where the legalization scheme is permissive enough to actually work.

It will take time and momentum, but it will happen. Oregon is very reasonable with their single 1time tax and absolute prohibition on additional local taxes, for instance - washington will see reason when they have all their stores being undercut by their own "black market" and by oregon next door, and they realize the high tax is losing so much money on lost sales volume that it's not making up for it in the steepness of the tax.

The fact is, freedom and legality are coming - prices are volatile at the moment and the market now does not reflect the market of the (near, even) future. There will be gigantic upheaval, and people will have to change their business models to hang on. Some people will keep gardening as they always have, and either use it themselves or supply friends (as people do with beer or wine... or tomatoes or zucchini), but nobody who is really in it for the money will be able to do more than fund a starbucks habit, using the proceeds from a small-time grow.

Big profit margins always have good reasons - right now the reason is risk and difficulty, and the historic situation surrounding this just rolling on over. But the risk and difficulty are going away, and the price of pot will become the price of growing it + a little on top, not the price of growing it + a whole lot of hazard pay, like it currently is.

Disagree with me all you want, but the existence of this thread agrees with me.

I have some sympathy for people having to re-tool or change their approach - I have no sympathy for people who want increased prices, which leads to shit like "stoners against prop19", where the growers are directly fighting against freedom so that they can keep profiteering from injustice - those people are scum and need to be decimated with low prices.

1 person likes this.
  9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

the risk of theft and home invasion for growers will not go away until the product is free on every corner....which is never....

y'all are dreaming about a day that isnt coming.......best to work within the system we have now with a balance beteen green/blackmarket sellers

10. Gongshaman

Look what happened with booze though, It's not really worth anyone's while to make their own booze, except as a hobby. Who's gonna break into my house and steal my home-made beer?

Once major corps take over, (if it's ever federally legalized that is guaranteed) it won't be worth anyone's time to grow weed at home, it'll be too easy to just go buy the kind you like at the store and get on with other things besides farming, lol

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

There are home invasions for anything that people store in homes.

It won't be a tremendous risk any more.

When there is no concern about calling the cops over your stolen pot, and when it's just not worth that much, it makes as much sense to rob you for your whiskey - I guess some people would, but that doesn't mean it'll be a widespread issue.

12. Laci

Laci Members

Nothing all that great to add to the discussion here, other than that the first 8-10 times I read the title, I thought it said "organ price drop" and thought to myself, "Huh. Wonder how much organs cost now....."
    *nods*

Welp, glad to hear the price is dropping x)

13. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

Yeah, and you can give that cash register chick the eye while y're at it. Life's too short to be farming 24/7.

14. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

The point of my first post was to warn off wanna-be Oregon growers. The new legal status is bringing in people from all over the country looking to grow rich. The extract market is strong, but flowers (buds) are still priced faily low ~ 1000 to 1200 pound. But, if lab tests show flowers with THC above 27%, sales are brisk (All "legal weed" MUST be tested for THC. CBD, mold, and pesticides). Good sugar leaf trim fetches 100 pound. Most of the rest of the US pays somewhere around $250 per oz. That's $4000 per pound! $800 a pound is $50 an ounce. That is less than I was getting in the early 80's.

Currently Oregon has legal medical marijuana and in July we get legal recreational weed. Most people expect a boost in prices mid summer, but come late October the market will be flooded. After January 2015, Oregon will have a new set of rules for marijuana. Currently lawmakers are "discussing" the new rules, but we won't know anything for sure until next year.

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Leave it to the old man= 50 bucks 2.2 pounds

New house =18,000.00

New Cadillac=about 3,000.00

Gasoline- 24 to 32 cents a gallon.

Point being, smoke is like everything else in this society-from 1960 to now, everything has gone nuts! I think we are going to be "allowed (oh, thank you so much, you pricks)

6 plants for personal use here once it is "legal" here in Oregon. Personal growing of enough to sustain desire is the way to go, if possible.

800 to 1000 a pound!!!!!!!! Absolutely crazy!!

16. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Yea, I live in colorado too. and started growing my own. Prices are somehow higher, even though there's a larger supply, and each year we keep upping the tax on it.

You can get good weed legally, but you're gonna pay a lot for it, and notice that half of what you paid, doesn't even go to the people growing/cutting/selling the weed. (The taxes go to the education system) Education my ass, didn't you idiots already know knowledge is free? It's called the internet, where you can file share any book ever written, or any study ever documented. What is more money going to buy you? More internet? lol

17. Gongshaman

Do you really believe that? Just like the lotto and tobacco taxes, all that revenue goes into a general fund for politicians to allocate as they see fit.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.... ~Zappa

18. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

You'd have to be very unwise to be incapable of turning information into knowledge