Oprah for President

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jan 9, 2018.

1. pineapple08

pineapple08 Members

It is the full Milo

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Classic case of glittering generalities, oversimplification, and stereotyping.

pineapple08 likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It would be interesting if Katy Perry ran.

[​IMG]

:)

Lol. Sorry is that a troll post?

Ok, I think glittering generalities might be correct there. Nice catch, MeAgain!

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Oh you do seem to have a lot of anger here…do you have an issue with women…as pointed out above it comes across as if you feel threatened in some way.

It’s just a feeling I get from your posts, the way you seem to feel the need to assert your maleness - that you love women and that your behaviour is all about attracting women.

It suppose this viewpoint has grown out of your black and white mind-set, either or, man or women, males and females.

Women are as a group (as in the most part) better listeners and are more empathic. Men as a group are more assertive and less caring.

I mean that is certainly the stereotype and I have had it used in debate to argue that for this reason women are more ‘wired’ to bringing up children (and other such ‘caring’ jobs) while mean are more ‘wired’ to leadership roles where feelings and caring would get in the way.

The problem is that I’m not sure the stereotype is accurate and I think can often get in the way, as in men believing they have to act as the stereotype dictates (being ‘strong’, not feeling fear, being assertive, of not looking to women for leadership but being their protector) or be thought of as ‘lesser men’ of not being ‘masculine’.

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Again I’d have to ask you if you have read any books on history or done any study of it?

So you did some school work back at college but you can’t really describe it or remember any of the books you used, and you have done little study since, just some opinion pieces mainly from right wing sources and lobbying groups?

OK the things you remember vaguely are studying ‘western civilization’ and how "the west was won."

Can you remember which ‘western civilization’ you concentrated on, there have been a few?

What do you mean by ‘how the west was won’ what was won and where?

Have you done any reading or studying on the development of political thought?

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Another interesting insight to your thinking – it seems to assume there was no opposition to women getting the vote it was simply a matter of the ‘government’ not allowing it.

As in – ‘sorry ladies we’d love to let you vote but ‘big government’ won’t let us’

So you get the slave owners saying ‘sorry slaves, we’d let you go free but the government laws won’t let us’

Sorry we are locking you up for being gay but it just that government says we have to.

Again this is an argument that doesn’t stand up to even the closest scrutiny

Thing is that people fought to limit others rights and others fought to change the rules governments are a reflection of society not separated from it.

Again this seems more about trying to score a point than an attempt at honest debate.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

That if a woman is sexually hassled by a man that is just a ‘real man’ acting ‘naturally’ and it’s up to the women to be ‘strong’ in reacting to it as an individual and if she isn’t well that her fault for being ‘weak’.

Well at first I thought ‘oh hell, more point scoring’

But then I thought maybe this is actually how 6 thinks and if so it’s really interesting.

You see to me actual sexual assault is a crime I was talking about the kind of sexist hassle (pestering) that many women encounter during their everyday lives from certain men. I must admit that it is a lot less frequent in the workplace as it once was in no small measure down to workplace rules and regulations and better education, attitudes have changed a lot.

But you seem to be implying that such pestering (often called by the perpetrators, ‘joshing’ or ‘joking’ and by the victim as ‘insults’ or ‘bullying’) isn’t important and only serious sexual assault need to be taken notice of?

But some peoples ‘primal’ urges are toward the homosexual.

Anyway its interesting how fixated you seem to be by the ‘stereotype’ that for you to be a ‘true’ man someone has to fit in with the stereotype – a real man is courageous, confident and protective (aggressive) in the protection of women (the weaker sex).

So the stereotype dictates that women can’t be or shouldn’t be courageous, confident or aggressive, and women who are these things are by definition not ‘real’ women.

But as I say I don’t think the stereotype is a true representation of the real world it’s about some trying to impose rules on what men and women should be even if that isn’t true.

8. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Welcome to Idiocracy!!!!!!!!

9. ahsorandy

ahsorandy Members

Oprah for President... of the Glee Club, whether she can sing or not!

Oprah for President... of Weight Watchers. For sure, it's not like some weight loss for her would hurt!

Oprah for President... of the U.S. of A. No, just NO!

Eric! likes this.
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If everything I'm saying about feminism is just a generalization, and feminism is universally accepted as a good intentioned and non-sexist. Then why do 93% of Brits refuse to identify as one, and why do only 1 in 5 women in America identify as a feminist? If feminism wasn't a fringe-left group of conspiracy theorists who believe the patriarchy is out to get them, shouldn't those numbers be higher?

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Could it be because people such as yourself have taken the most extreme, caricatured examples of feminism and used it as a representation of the whole and done it relentlessly over the span of decades until people associate the word feminism not with what it actually is, equality between the sexes, and instead associate it with this extreme depiction of it?

The definion of feminism has been hijacked by people who have latched on to the most extreme elements of it in order to discredit it. And it has worked unfortunately

At the end of the day it ends up being a pointless semantical argument. If someone believes women are equal to men then they are a feminist, whether they admit to the label or not.

scratcho, Balbus and MeAgain like this.
  12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Oh for fuck sake 6 you are like a little dog with a bone when you think you have a snippet of information you think ‘scores’ you a point LOL - but like so many times before when actually looked you it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Oh well this time you have latched on to - only 7% of Brits identify as a feminist – but in the same piece its points out that 86 per cent of men in the UK believe in gender equality

I mean come on man the first lines below the headline makes it clear –

More than two thirds of Britons support gender equality

I mean hells bells 6 did you actually read the dammed article did you bother to actually go to the report and read that? I’m guessing not otherwise you would not be pushing it because it actually works against the propaganda premise you are trying to push.

As Sam Smethers, the charity’s chief executive that commissioned the survey says: “The overwhelming majority of the public share our feminist values but don’t identify with the label. However the simple truth is if you want a more equal society for women and men then you are in fact a feminist”

The message any rational person would get from the article and report is that the ‘feminist’ viewpoint is winning (and that 86% seems to indicate won) the argument.

What it also indicates to me is that the problem with the terms ‘feminist’ and ‘feminism’ is the negative connotations spread by anti-feminist propaganda (as pointed out by Meliai)

Like the propaganda you spread - If feminism wasn't a fringe-left group of conspiracy theorists who believe the patriarchy is out to get them, shouldn't those numbers be higher?

Just in the same way you and those like you seem to try and smear anything that doesn’t fit in with your and their rather extreme right wing reactionary views.

Full report of the Fawcett Society - Sex Equality: State of the Nation 2016 – is here

https://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/Handlers/Download.ashx?IDMF=a9a69875-749a-4482-9a8b-5bffaafe3ee7

scratcho likes this.
  14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

If we're just going to vote in pointless celebrities, we should at least have some eye candy.

15. 6-eyed shaman

Say what?

People like me are responsible for loud and proud feminists doing shit like this? vvv

Passing man-spreading laws on public transit Manspreading arrests: the long arm of the law just invaded our personal space This is inconsiderate as fuck, considering no feminist ever has to live with testicles between their legs.

Campaign to ban the word "bossy" Ban Bossy. Encourage Girls to Lead.

Propagate that air conditioning is now sexist Women shiver at work in ‘sexist’ air conditioning

Thanks to feminism in the media, 25% of millennial men believe that asking a woman out for drinks is sexual harrassment https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/11/daily-chart-14

Feminist filmmaker Cassie Jaye "couldn't find executive producers who wanted to make a balanced film about men's rights movement." She could only find people who wanted to make a gynocentric feminist film. Filmmaker Doubted Feminism... Now Her Movie Is at Risk

Face it, modern-day feminism is not about equality. It's all smoke and mirrors. If it was about equality, why do you NEVER hear any radfems like address men's issues? How come you don't see feminists addressing the disparages in these statistics:

Homelessness Men 62% Women 38%
    Homicides Men 77.4% Women 22.6%
    Suicides Men 77.9% Women 22.1%
    Workplace deaths Men 93% Women 7%
    Winners of custody Men 17.8% Women 82.2%
    College graduates Men 40% Women 60%

And why the hell don't you see feminists standing up for oppressed women in Iran or India?

I've already addressed this in post #77 when I said this:

16. 6-eyed shaman

Yes I did and you clearly missed the point.

You can be an anti-feminist and support gender equality.

I identify as an Egalitarian.

If feminism is about equality, and egalitarianism and feminism mean the same thing. How come one word has a female-based prefix, and the other is entirely gender neutral. And furthermore, why do progressives such as yourself seem to dislike that dreadful E word?

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I've addressed those things, plus the big one you left out: Why in most child custody cases, it's virtually a guarantee the woman gets custody of the child.

If you do the research, you will find stories of young, single fathers killing themselves because some vindictive ex of theirs has forbidden them to see their own children. It happens. More than it should.

Not all feminists are anti-men. Some of us love men. We just don't want to be dismissed, ignored, chastised, harassed or walked on by them.

Is that so bad?