Opinions on spaying/neutering pets?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by dhs, Jan 26, 2005.

?

Are you for or against spaying/neutering pets?

1. I support it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm against it

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  3. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. dhs

dhs Senior Member

What's your feeling on this?

I have posted my feelings regarding declawing cats or cropping dogs - that I feel it is completely wrong and unnatural.

Yet, I support spaying/neutering.

I'm the papa of a cat, jazzmin, whom I adopted from the local Humane Society, who spay/neuter all of their animals. They do not euthanize any of their animals at this particular branch unless they are a danger to people or other animals or they are gravely ill - its a very compassionate shelter, but they do spay.

Heh - this is kind of the Roe vs Wade thread for animals.

So how do you all feel about it?

2. Elle

Elle Senior Member

I am for spaying/neutering but definatley against de-clawing and cropping. I think in those cases (declawing and such) it is done for the owner. I don't see how it benefits the cat or the cat population. By fixing your cat it helps the cat population, it lowers the risk of cancer. I think cats can also get frustrated when they are in heat (Or whatever it is called for the males) and they don't get to act on it. And then if they do act on it, it usually means some more unplanned kitties which we definatley don't need more of. I know my cat seems frustrated (no he's not fixed but will be soon). In a nutshell, I think fixing them is in the best interest of the cat, whereas declawing or cropping is not. And if it is then I have yet to hear why....so....

3. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

I support spaying/neutering. Why bring more into the world when there are so many animals without a home now. All my animals are from the pound or have been homeless.

4. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I am for spaying/neutering, as Bedlam said, there are so many animals in shelters already.
    I also have to admit a part of me regrets it; part of me thinks my cats are so great, I think their kittens would be exceptionally nice as well... but I also realise I'm really, really biassed in this and just about everyone probably thinks the same way about their pets :p

5. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

I completely agree with every point Elle made. Spaying and neutering are in the best interest of the cat, not its owner. There are many studies showing that cats who have been fixed live, on average, 2.5 times longer than cats who are not fixed. Plus, it lowers their risk of all different sorts of health problems that could develop had the cat not been spayed or neutered.

I don't think that cats and dogs particularly mind not being able to reproduce, at least MINE don't seem to care. In fact, my kitty Juno seems to be happier now that I had her spayed. She's much more cuddly than before.

I think spaying and neutering is the responsible thing to do, but I don't fault people who choose not to fix their animals. Besides, if all the animals were fixed, there would be no more cute little babies!

6. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Spaying and Neutering is an improtant thing... It can help keep animals from getting sick in the long run... Its important to keep the pet population under control... it doesnt take long before a domastic cat will turn feral... i think its 2 generations... then your left with a completely undomesticated animal running around and dying. I think feral cats only life about 2 years before they die from disease or starvation. If we can save them we should. In Connecticut there is a Mobile Van T.E.A.M. (Tait's Every Animal Matters) (everyanimalmatters.org)They offer spaying and Neutering for $63, That also includes shots and worming (if needed) They will also give you cages to collected Feral Cats with to have them foxed and then they give them back to have them set back into the wild. Tait was a lawyer who left alot of money to a small group trying to promote animal health. Now Team has fixed over 77,000 cats since 1997. In Connecticut theres now no reason for not fixing your animal.. You Pick you cat up at the end of the day and they give you an emergency number to call in case of problems. Great Company. Team is also very agains declawing of animals.

7. Fernanda

Fernanda Member

I support 100% Spay and Neuter!

Fer:p

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

We had both Branwen and Casey fixed. It was eithier that or...
    The [high] risk of Branwen developing ovarian cancer
    The certainty that Case would spray everywhere and trash the place. (He's hard enough work without hormones up the shoot.)
    End up with some seriously moody sexually frustrated buns.
    They'd be unable to let them live together, which would be very harsh as rabbits need company.
    If they did get together we'd end up with Lord knows how many baby bunnies; cute and all but they need somewhere to go. And frankly there are enough homeless bunnies in the world.
    So yes I'm for it. :)

9. Abyle

Abyle Member

I support spaying and neutering, but not declawing and cropping. My kitty was both spayed and declawed before I got her. (She was a pound kitty.) My parents had tremendous difficulty finding a Dane pup with uncropped ears. Disgusting, really.

10. skye*

skye* Member

I completely agree:)

If all owners were responsible about this, we would have less animals in shelter,and less strays on the streets.
    I have to take my kitty in once we get our income tax return back, shes getting to that age, and i dont want her to breed, shes our outside/inside cat and there are alot of strays by us.

Sad really in the summer i now feed up to 7 wild cats, ive only sen 3 this winter though......they will run if i try to go near them but at least i can provide them food, and shelter....i keep my garage door open for them.

11. Kiva

Kiva Member

There's no other option than to spay and neuter!!!! I used to work at the Humane Society...(not a no-kill, unfortunately) and its SOOOOOOOO depressing to have to put those babies down, simply because there's too many!

Declawing and cropping are totaly f'd up!!! I think people that do that crap suck. Of course, there are very few reasons to do that...for example, my friend had a Weimeriner that incessantly beat his tail against things until it bled. He was constantly getting infections and the like. They seriously considered cropping the tail so that he wouldn't have constant infections. But, as he grew a little older, he got better about it, and they decided not to do it. Other than that, I don't see any reason to do those sorts of things.