Opal Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by TwoDogs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. SandDollar

SandDollar Member

Opals have kinda been a family thing for a long time. My grandfather used to travel the world to mine opals. He had a large collection of opals he mined and cut from Australia back in the day.. unfortunately due to the Florida heat and well.. time, they lost a good chunk of their value. When he passed away his opals were found and split up between the family, in which I managed to obtain a few of his.. still lookin' for his foot-pumped lap wheel he owned.

I seem to have caught his fever for opals, you pull an opal out in front of me and I go digging for trade goods. Earlier in this year, while in Quartzsite I managed to score a beautiful large chunk of fire opal, which I'm currently working on grinding down the face to expose the near half-inch thick face of fire. I soon as the man pulled it from his bag I was throwing all sorts of stuff at him for it. Kinda my investment for the year..

Below is the set of opals I obtained from my grandfather. A set of white, black and green. The picture is crappy, bad sunlight... but there is still fire in all three opals. The white opal has flakes of green/orange fire, green still has a nice sheen across it, and the black opal has orange/blue flakes along the layered crevices. One of my copper wire works..

I was told by an indian that it was bad luck to give opals to a loved one.. good for me I guess.. since I tend to hoard them.

yeah.. horribly bad picture

2. seraphina

seraphina Member

so beautiful! opal is definetly as beautiful if not more so, in its raw form. love it! lapidary is a new hobby of mine

3. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Won't lie, maybe it's just me but I seriously misread the title

sex on the brain I suppose :rolleyes:

But for whatever reason, I am here- and I would like to say that I to do like opal. Very pretty.

4. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Opals are my favorite gem. I suppose it is bad luck since my relationship has kinda gone downhill ever since I got a ring, but whatever. Still purdy.

5. MadArt

MadArt Member

Dude... you have about $400k worth of opal there. Easy!