Online guides

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by Mud_Hunter, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

first time grower looking for a online ref guide for help. (indoor)

2. SagaciousKJB2

SagaciousKJB2 Member

Well, they've disallowed us from linking to the one on Overgrow, but I'm not sure if they're not allowing us to mention it. However, they do have an excellent guide which is what many people start with. And if I'm in violation by saying that, I'm sure the mods can edit my post.

But, in the mean time, this book might be helpful: http://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/

It doesn't really comment much on indoor growing, but it will give you an okay idea of how to do it.

One thing you might want to check out is a program called HighGrow. It's a marijuana growing simulation program. It's pretty educational, in my opinion, but it's real time so you're going to actually have to stay committed to your virtul plants for four months.

Some Basic Things:
    The life cycle of cannabis is as so:
    -Seed: Pretty self-evident
    -Germination: This is when the root starts to sprout from the seed.
    -Seedling: This is the state where the first two "leaves" arive. They won't be the standard cannabis shape, but they'll leaves
    -Vegatative: This is the basic growth of the stems and leaves of the plant
    -Prefloral: This is the stage just before flowering, when the number of leaves on new tips starts to decrease, and you will be able to identify the sex of the plant
    -Flowering: This is when the buds will start to form

Now, the entire cycle is light controlled. The most common thing for people to do when growing marijuana is to offer about 50-60 watts of Metall Hallide, High Pressure Sodium, or Flourescent lights for a sheduel of either 24 hours a day, or 18 hours a day of light, and 6 hours a day of darkness. These light/dark sheduels are expressed as 24/0 or 18/16. Now, usually at about 2 months in, people will "shock" the plant into the flowering stage. They do this buy switching to a 12/12 light/dark sheduel. It usually takes about 1-2 months for flowering to be done.

Then you pick your buds, dry them, cure them, smoke them.

Some people like to take it a step further and allow male plants to pollinate female plants to have seeds for future grows, and some even cut a branch off of a plant and undergo a process of cloning, which I can't comment on too much, but it's basically forming a root structure from a bit of plant you cut off of the original, and starting a completely new "clone" plant.

Anyway, it's all in that link. Just remember that when you're growing, people say it's usually best to have 50-60 watts of MH, HPS, or FL light per sq. foot. There are people that will claim that the plants cannot grow with incadescent light, but I've heard things to the contrary, too, and unfortunately have no experience of my own to report on.

I hope that helps.

3. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Laying out the stages really helps...so many "how to" sites are getting me confused. I have 4 plants. I have no idea on the type of seeds. I know for some reason 1 of my plants is really super small...3" dwarf. the rest 14" tall right now and doing fine. lux lights on 24 hours. There in a room 8 x 6 x 7'. im installing ventilation soon.

4. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

That might have been me discouraging linking to overgrow. Overgrow is great i have a gallery there too, i go there all the time. It is just really easy for a newbie to get overwhelmed with misinfo on overgrow, or have someone act like a high and mighty growitall and crush a newbies spirit. So much on a new growerts sucess depends on the attitude i discourage roasting newbies.So overgrow is more better for the second/third time grower- when one can desipher the facts from the bulls%&t.And not get discouraged from a little clowning around.
    try www.marijuanagrowing.com there is a link on the left to the "grow forums" and you will find a lower key site, that has a few knowledgable resident growers which can help you with what you are doing.
    Sounds like the one you call a dwarf may be indica, Does it have really fat leaves and a thick stem?

5. SagaciousKJB2

SagaciousKJB2 Member

I like that term "growitall". I mentioned to them about use 30 watts of FL to grow some plants, and they said it just wouldn't work. But so far it's working pretty good. lol

6. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

Flouro is great for veg It can grow some nice plants, you might wanna try a shp when you start to bud them though. Red flouro tubes may work though if your not expecting a huge yield. Especially if like heat is a concern, flouro can be quite useful.