One thing you would change in past history?

Discussion in 'History' started by zeppelin kid, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

The extinction of the Carolina parakeet in 1918. It would be a brighter world to have these colorful birds back again, chirping merrily from southern New York and Wisconsin to Kentucky, Tennessee and the Gulf of Mexico, from the Atlantic seaboard to as far west as eastern Colorado.

Carolina parakeet - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]

granite45 and Eric! like this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Prevent the importation and slavery of Africans to the US.

themnax and Cello Song like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are so many its hard to pick just one. but it would have to be a LOT further back then anything to do directly with the u.s. or since its founding.
    i would change the conditions and situations that led to the burning of the library at alexandria aegypt.
    (not only would that have prevented the whole issue of slavery in america, it would have bypassed the middle ages, steam and electricity would have existed a thousand years sooner,
    and even when population was still small enough, for environment danger of those early and dusty technologies to have been recognized and cured)

i would go back even further, and prevent agriculture becoming dependent on possession of the land, and the subsiquent rise of monetaryism.

slavery could have and did, exist, long before any sort of prejudice was attached to it. i also agree however, that it never needed to exist in america.
    this was a product of greed, not need. (imperial romans were rather fond of their non-voluntary red headed celtic sex workers)

columbus would have never discovered and enslaved indiginous caribians, but then he wouldn't have been sent on a mission to rob the wealth of india, which led to this happening.

nor did the genocide and cultural genicide of of the western hemisphere's indiginous inhabitents, many of whom had culture as advanced an more, then the invasion that rejected them.

both the genocide and the slavery (in what is now the u.s.) can be blamed, or blamed for being facilitated by, something called the doctrine of discovery.
    and there's a whole sequence of events, leading to that, which at any point breaking the chain of them, even going back to the formation of rome and its empire.

further back, greece would have never concored crete. or egypt. and egypt, and egypt's own flirtation with monothism would not have been the economic tragidy that resulted in the mesianic exile.

i might even have prevented the "white" genetic mutation of that portion of the human species.

you know i might even have prevented humans from becoming tailless and furless.

i'd keep the brains and the thumbs though, i think those were a couple of nature's good choices. but getting rid of fur and tails, not so good.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  4. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The rise of Adam Smith and self serving imperialist economists marking unfettered greed and exploitation of working people a positive trait. One need look no further than the concentration of income and wealth in the US to see the evolving result of that event.

Vladimir Illich, themnax and scratcho like this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the burning of the library at alexandria.
    the cannonization of saul of tarsus.
    the "doctrine of discovery"

one can argue the burning of alexandria had legitimate justification, and that plans for ufo's were certainly unlikely in the extreme to be among the physical losses,
    however, the spirit of open and honest inquiry, the non-physical loss, was by far the greater one,
    and without it, the ages of steam and electricity would have started a thousand years earlier,
    and perhaps we would not have as self destructive a culture of shared and extended narcissism of our species.

and we might have reached other solar systems, and not with the intent to rob and aquire them either.
    nor a culture averse to the logic of limiting the human birthrate.

6. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

Slavery (world wide).....

Candy Gal likes this.
  7. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

It still happens sadly

scratcho likes this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The desire for excessive possessions at the expense of common sense , coupled with the lack of empathy.

FritzDaKatx2 and themnax like this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

pretty much what the road to tyranny is paved with, and tyranny is close enough to hell for me.
    it almost seems like a culture of hating logic, because what else is a possession if you can't either play with it or use it to make things with.
    its trying to impress others with what you can aquire instead of what you can make yourself that seems so both pointless and wasteful.

yah if i could change anything, that culture of being like that would have never got started, however it did.
    technologies i can see, but people still need to be more considerate and thoughtful about those too, but sparklies? why even?
    why anything that's just so you can say you have it.
    a rich man's mansion and a poor man's shopping cart, they are the same to me.

scratcho and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  10. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I would have made Socrates leader of the known world and abolished organized religion to the extent that no faith would become a dominant force but rather remained closer to their original Paganist roots.

We might have had a chance around the time of the council of nicea, but sadly I think we are a good thousand years or so into being rightly fucked in the head as a species.

boubindica, themnax and scratcho like this.
  11. sherman march

sherman march Members

"abolished organized religion" ... unorganized religion is no religion at all. it's basically religious anarchy which is as futile and meaningless as political anarchy

12. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

No religion at all was my first thought, but given the nature of the human ape and it's fondness for being dominated I found it too far fetched a thing to hope for.

13. boubindica

boubindica Banned

I sometimes imagine what life would be like now, had Boudicca and the Druids whooped Roman arse good.

themnax likes this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

mostly for all the lies that are called by that name, to have never been told, and not being told now,
    and the lyers who tell them to have had a stronger conscious and moral character not to have told them.

such corrections are the beginning and end of my interest in the subject.

it isn't just the most recent past wars that keep being fought and it isn't just the generals who keep fighting them.

the study of history does nothing to prevent its repetition when the history being studied is predominantly spin and fantasy.
    which is all you'll ever be taught, unless you dig and sort through vast piles of peer reviewed documentation, actual judicial records, where these can even be found, legislative transcripts and so on, that, other then being motivated by the inconsistancies commonly believed to be historical, to debunk their dishonesty, would be a task almost as pointless as daunting.

boubindica likes this.
  15. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

The decision of Trump's parents not to go through with the abortion!

16. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

The time in history when corrupt politicians, were punished.

boubindica likes this.
  17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think the pivotal moment where so much has gone pear shaped from its precident, would be the abuses that prompted the burning of the alexandrian library.
    this resulted in the scientific duldrums of the middle ages and that in the "doctrine of discovery" (read up on it if either of these events or terms are unfamiliar, as you're likely to miss my meaning if you're not familiar with all of what that led to, including the genocide of indiginous populations)

as for corrupt politicians, they've always had the slippery tongues, that got those who resisted them and pushed back against them, punished for their crimes instead of themselves.

times when it was the heads of the right ones who needed it fell on, mostly exist in fantasy

boubindica likes this.
  18. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Adolph Hitler to be a fatal casualty of WW1.

19. boubindica

boubindica Banned

Shamanism and Druidry are pretty much Anarchical in a lot of regions, and they seem to be doing good in the world, which is more than can be said for the Dogmas of Abrahamic religions.

themnax likes this.
  20. sherman march

sherman march Members

yes but the Abrahamic religions are pretty much the foundation of western civilization . shamanism and druidism are not the foundation of anything historically important.