On the road-Neal Cassady

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Chris92, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Chris92

Chris92 Member

After reading on the road and finding out that dean was Neal Cassady I want to find out more about Neal Cassady. I looked him up online but didnt get a lot of information. Did he write poetry or anything like that? And if so what could I read of his?

2. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

You can check out "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolf. It's about Ken Keasey and the Merry Pranksters and Neal was a Merry Prankster. Funny! It's more Dean, but just on speed and acid instead of speed and alcohol.

3. violetearth

violetearth Member

here are 2 more books that have info on him.

the portable beat reader - ann charters
    the rolling stone book of the beats: the beat generation and american culture - holly george-warren

4. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

I suggest Ken Kesey's book One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. Ken based the main character Randall P. McMurphy on Neal Cassady. Also the Grateful Dead song Cassady is supposedly partly based on Neal.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

nope. Cassidy is for Cassidy Law, born the day Bob wrote the song. There are echoes of Neal, but the song is hers.
    Visions of Cody is more of Jack worshiping Neal.
    Carolyn Cassady wrote Off the Road as her take on the whole deal.

6. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

You could also try Cas(s)ady's own The First Third: the title suggests that he expected to live rather longer than he actually did.

7. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Guest

Carolyn keeps a website in tribute of him, not a lot on there. I don't have the link here but can post it later. Bascially, if you want to know more about Neal - read more Kerouac. He is featured in most books, under the name "Cody Pomeray" most frequently.