On reaching a consensus re mass shootings in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MeAgain, Mar 3, 2018.

1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Making a threat on social media and having a full description of who he was and where to find him.

Names on the Do Not Fly list are maintained on people who have not killed anyone but pose a threat. Cruz was at the least in the same category.

2. storch

storch banned

They were negligent. They admitted they were negligent. Had they not been negligent, seventeen kids might still be alive. If you want to go over the details of their negligence again, that's fine. But since you did just complain about us "bitching" about the FBI ignoring tips and phone calls--and its relevance to this thread--I'm surprised that you would post this question.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Please cite the law that was broken.

4. MeAgain

The only negligence was the failure to pass a tip onto the local field office.
    The FBI is not required by law to pass on every tip it receives to a local field office, to my knowledge.
    It was a judgement call.
    People make judgement calls all the time.

What do you recommend the FBI do in response to this error in judgement?

5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

6. storch

storch banned

You refer to it as a judgment call despite the FBI's admission that it was a failure on their part to follow established protocol.

The FBI said that on September 24 it was notified about a comment on YouTube from someone with the username “nikolas cruz.” The comment said: “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.” The notification came from a video blogger on You Tube who found it disturbing enough that it didn't feel sufficient to simply flag it as inappropriate. So he emailed an image to the FBI. When that bounced back, he called the local FBI field office.

An Instagram account that belonged to Cruz showed photographs of firearms, including one showing a gun's laser sight pointed at a street. Another photo showed at least half-a-dozen weapons laid out on a bed with the caption "arsenal". A third photo showed a dead frog's bloody body.

The FBI failed to act on a tip about Nikolas Cruz, the confessed shooter in the Parkland, Florida, school massacre, the bureau said in a statement on Friday. A person close to Cruz contacted the FBI on January 5 to report concerns about him, the FBI said in a statement Friday. But the bureau did not appropriately follow established protocols in following up on the tip. The FBI said the caller provided information about "Cruz's gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting." The information should have been assessed as a "potential threat to life," the bureau said. The FBI failed to act on a tip about Nikolas Cruz, the confessed shooter in the Parkland, Florida, school massacre, the bureau said in a statement on Friday.

Are you saying that their failure to follow established protocol was a judgement call? Are you at least willing to call it a very very bad judgement call?

7. MeAgain

8. MeAgain

Yes they didn't follow protocol. Someone judged that there was no "potential threat to life".
    So anyway, The FBI needs to be more diligent in following protocol.
    Okay. I have no problem with that.
    I'll even include it in our consensus list (I put it at number 5 to keep things in order):

A Consensus on Mass Shootings

1. All mass shootings are the product of abnormal behavior.
    2. Something must be done about abnormal behavior in relation to mass shootings.
    3. We will never eliminate every firearm in the U.S.
    4. We will never eliminate every mass shooting.
    5. Everyone, including law enforcement
    officials need to be more vigilant in respect to potential mass shootings.
    6. Background checks are limited in their value and are only one tool available to lessen mass shootings.
    7. Mental health screening and treatment is limited in value and only one tool available to lessen mass shootings.
    8. Outside venues can't be made absolutely safe from mass shootings.
    9. Private homes can't be made absolutely safe from mass shootings.

9. MeAgain

Time to move on. Let's talk about "hardening" schools and other buildings.

I think we can all agree that resource officers are a reasonable option in school buildings.
    Resource officers (SROs) are typically uniformed local police officers who have expressed a desire to serve in a school building, usually a high school.
    SROs have the ability to respond to incidences, and make arrests. By Federal law search and seizure requirements are relaxed. In 2011 the average SRO's pay was $63,294, higher than the average teacher's salary. Funding seems to be a combination of the school district, state, and local police force funding.

In districts that don't have a local police force, the school district itself would have to hire a private school based law enforcement officers (SBLE). They are typically lower paid and trained.

The other option is to rely on the state police.
    In the last district I worked in we had a local officer in one suburban high school and rotating state police officers in the other, as there was no local police force in that township. The state police officers were not present everyday, and I don't know if they still cover that building.

The National Association of School Resource Officers recommend that all SRO's get an addition 40 hours of training in school policies and carry all standard police equipment including a gun. They recommend one officer per building or 1,000 students.
    They are against arming anyone in the building except active sworn law enforcement officers based upon:
    NASRO
    There are were 98,271 grade 1 through 12 public schools in the U.S. in 2014.
    Total cost for one year of implementation of one officer for each building in the U.S. would be over 6 billion dollars a year. ( Based on the average uniformed officers salary $63,294 X 98,271 = $6,219,964,674; the cost would be lower if some private school district police officers were paid less)
    That's not counting private schools, colleges, and universities.

10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

LOL. I am going to shoot my school up is no specific threat?

All of what Storch provided doesn't help you have some sense of right or wrong here?

I think we'd be better off letting a judge decide. He made very specific threats, multiple times in multiple formats.

If you on the left don't see that , we on the right can better understand why our nation is so effed.

machinist likes this.
  11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Don't bother man. You'd do better talking to a wall.

machinist and storch like this.
  12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

13. storch

storch banned

Well, if you're saying that they negligently failed to follow established protocol, I agree. And if you're saying that the information they received should have been assessed as a "potential threat to life, I agree with that, too; and so did the FBI.

5. Everyone, including law enforcement officials need to be more vigilant in respect to potential mass shootings.

Uh, yeah. And in this case, everyone kind of was vigilant, except for law enforcement.

NotMyRealName likes this.
  14. MeAgain

I'm really amazed that you have such trouble understanding this thing.
    He didn't say he was going to shoot up his school.
    He said "I'm going to be a professional school shooter". No specific school was named.
    It's very similar to the general statement made by FOX news spokesmen Judge Andrew Napolitano: "Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer. It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!"
    Clearly a call to shoot unspecified government officials.

I have no idea what you're talking about with your right and wrong statement.
    Yes it was wrong that he committed a mass shooting, I agree.
    I agree we should let a judge decide, that's what I've been saying all along.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Kerri likes this.
  15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Not hard to understand it at all. He made those direct statements, electronically in a format directed to anyone who had access to see it. Noone specific had to be named. It was a terrorist threat. Certainly anybody that went to his school that read it, would be who it was directed to. You somehow seem to imply the law isnt applying here. The only ones that can't grasp this are the ones trying to defend the wrongdoers. The authorities have already admitted the ball drop. That only leaves you in the dark.

I've had enough legal debates with you to know that you need to take the advice if you're ever jackeed up in a situation. Remain silent and get an attorney. Because your grasp of the law will be your worst friend.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  16. MeAgain

Whatever.

Kerri likes this.
  17. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

NotMyRealName and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  18. GeorgeJetStoned

Actually, I agree, there's too many. We only need 1 and it should say:
    "if you hate, you must be executed". That would end the whole hate issue for good.

However, it must be applied to everyone equally, without regard to race, creed, color, gender, disability, diet, hairstyle, occupation, home location, nail polish, Costco Membership, footgear or political affiliation.

NotMyRealName likes this.
  19. MeAgain

There are too many to list.

Now, how are you going to enforce such a vague law as you propose? "If you hate, you must be executed?"
    What kind of law is that?
    If you hate what?
    How do we determine what hate is?

If I say I hate your race, creed, color, gender, disability, diet, hairstyle, occupation, home location, nail polish, Costco Membership, foot gear or political affiliation I must be executed?
    LOL!

Current Federal hate laws prohibit injuries, etc., because of the other person's race, color, religion or national origin or the damaging religious property or interference with religious beliefs or injuries, etc. due to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
    A large number of individual state laws prohibit injuries, etc., due to sexual orientation and gender identity.

Not the vague "if you hate" thing you propose.
    In 1995 there were 10,469 hate crimes identified, in 2014 5,479.
    But regardless, to say that a law isn't working because the intended crime has increased is a simplistic understanding of society and crime.
    It may be working very well as the rate of crime could have doubled, tripled, or increased a hundred fold without the law.

20. GeorgeJetStoned

Too complicated, that's why we can't get a lid on all the hate. It would be so much easier to simply catch people hating, and execute them. Eventually we'd eliminate hate forever! Isn't that the real goal? To eliminate hate?