On reaching a consensus re mass shootings in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MeAgain, Mar 3, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It has occurred to me that we commonly criticize the U.S. Congress for not getting anything done in this regard, yet we here are guilty of the same thing as we argue and fight about this subject while seldom reaching any common understandings or consensus about the subject.

So I would like to try something a bit different. In this thread I will pose a series of questions which I would like us all to address and come to an agreement about, before we move on.
    If we don't agree, we don't move on.

It'll be interesting to see if we can pull this off without the thread blowing up within fifteen minutes or so.

Before I introduce the first question let me define what a mass shooting is for the purpose of this thread.
    Here is a list. Please don't comment on it at this time, I only include it for reference.

2. MeAgain

My first question will be concerning the causes of mass shootings.
    The question will appear at the end of this explanation.

I have identified three categories of mass shootings; spontaneous, premeditated, and due to insanity.

Spontaneous mass shootings, are those that occur on the spur of the moment and are related to emotional stress or imbalance. Some of the reasons for the shooting may be jealousy or anger.
    Example: For some reason people make fun of a woman at a party. She gets mad and pulls a gun from her purse and shoots them all without thinking.
    No pre thought is given to the shooting.

In a premeditated shooting planning is involved. The shooter has a rational for the actions he or she then takes. Some of the reasons for the shooting may be retaliation or revenge.
    Example: For some reason people are bullying a man. He seeks revenge for his torment and plans actions to get even.
    Planning, sometimes extreme planning is given to the shooting.

Lastly we have those shootings due to insanity.
    Example: A man hears voices telling him to kill people.
    Planning, sometimes extreme planning may or may not be given to the shooting.

In the first two instances a knowledge of right and wrong is granted to the shooter, so no legal mental health issues are involved.
    The shooter is not legally insane.
    In the last instance no knowledge of right and wrong is present so the shooter is legally insane.

Now, I have gone rather in depth to make the point that we can't just say all those who commit a mass shooting are insane or mentally deficient in a legal sense.

So here's my question:
    1. Can we reach a consensus that all mass shootings are the product of abnormal behavior? (not necessarily due to mental health issues)

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  3. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I agree that as long as I have been aware of mass shootings, the shooter has been some manner of deranged in their justification for attempting to murder numbers of people and usually when the shooter has some kind of distinct advantage (like taking a gun into a "gun free" zone). However, I find this particular take on the issue to be limiting since it is addressing people who use guns exclusively.

We should consider that mass killings are perpetrated by people using other means to kill as many people as they can including bombs, vehicles and even gassing. I'd rather examine the threads of their thinking than concentrate on guns. Guns are only a convenient machine for a mass killer, but are certainly not the only means to achieve their goals.

Also, there should be a fourth category for consideration; Group ideology driven mass killings. This would include mass killers driven by their religion, gangs, warlords/rebels and cults. Sure, one could look at the percentages and discount the importance of such considerations, but if we're really interested in debating the causation of mass killings, it seems to me that nothing can be too obscure, even cannibalism and blatant genocide.

I do like your approach to this.

4. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

yes, but I think shootings that are linked to domestic violence, or crimes of passion, are also abnormal.

5. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Obviously. If it was normal then everybody would be doing it.

MeAgain likes this.
  6. MeAgain

I am restricting this thread to shootings. I don't want to get into kool aid, and bombs.

Yes I forgotten about religious or other group ideologies. I had wanted to include them when I conceived this thread, but forgot when I wrote it up.
    So can we agree that mass shootings based on group ideologies, excluding declared wars, are also abnormal behaviors as most group ideologies don't engaged in such activity?

7. MeAgain

Yes, I agree, but we are only talking about mass shootings.

8. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Yes, clarifying declared wars/sanctioned state actions is important. Otherwise we'd have to call Paul Tibbets or Barack Obama "mass murderers".

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I hope you do explore the link between domestic violence and mass shootings at some point during this thread though.

10. MeAgain

So far we all agree:
    1. All mass shootings are the product of abnormal behavior.

11. MeAgain

Now as we agree that all mass shootings are a product of abnormal behavior, and what that behavior is, we can proceed to what to do about it.

We have three categories; spontaneous, premeditated, and mental health issues (which may be spontaneous or premeditated.) And I'm going to include mass shootings based on group ideologies in these three categories.

So let's take the first; spontaneous mass shootings.
    Can we suggest anything to stop the impetus for these actions? I'm not talking about types of weapons used, or their availability here, I'm talking about stopping the action itself, before it happens regardless of the methods or instruments used to satisfy that urge?

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Mass shootings appear to be acts of war . The civilized advocate for war to be normalized .

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm in favor of increasing the waiting period to purchase a gun from 3 days to 5 or even 7. I dont know that there is a way to prevent spontaneous shootings among those who already own guns but for those who buy guns on a whim with the sole intention of killing someone or committing a crime, it would give them more time to call down and rethink their decision

14. MeAgain

As no one has proposed anything to be done to prevent spontaneous mass shootings, I'll address it.

Mel is correct when she states that background checks aren't going to stop spontaneous shootings.
    As the shooting is spontaneous the shooter will use whatever weapon happens to be at hand.
    Someone gets angered and lashes out. A gun is already present and becomes the weapon of choice.

The only remedy I can see for this type of mass shooting, other than raising the consciousness of the general population to the point where they aren't ruled by negative emotions, is limiting the availability of guns.

15. MeAgain

So let's move on to the second category, premeditated mass shootings.

By definition a premeditated shooting requires planning, I fail to see how waiting periods to buy guns would make any difference.
    If I wish to kill a bunch of people I just factor the waiting period into my plan. So, I have to wait a month, so what?

Background checks may have a limited value as they may be able to weed out potential mass killers.
    But let's remember many premeditated mass killers exhibit perfectly normal behavior until they execute their plan. In other words the background check may not turn up anything that points to a future mass killer. Let's remember the Las Vegas shooter passed at least two background checks.

Any comments so far?

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

MeAgain

Just to throw a spanner in the works (you know me) to me ease of access to guns is madness but I’d also champion a good social infrastructure in tackling aggression stress and mental health problems, that can led to ‘abnormal’ behaviour.

So can I put in also the recommendation for good Social Services, Universal Healthcare and decent welfare benefits along with free or subsidised kindergarten places and education about mental health (to destigmatize it).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  17. MeAgain

Sure, but I didn't get that far yet.

18. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

1. More involvement or interventionist steps should be allowed by schools and parents. Schools see kids almost as much as parents do. They should be trained to recognize red flags and be given the latitude to act on them up to and including expulsion of the student with a notice to authorities when that takes place.

2. More involvement by parents on what their kids are up to, both on social media and actual personal interactions. If they are starting to gravitate towards a bad set of people, parents need to intervene more assertively.

3. Limit, eliminate or at least monitor and regulate their access to violence and how that has become glamorized in various aspects of their culture. I never thought I'd say this but I remember the campaign Tipper Gore started on what was essentially censoring the music etc that had some pretty graphic messages in them. While I though that the idea did amount to censorship, we see now where that went over time. I actually think she may have had something worthwhile that we tried to overrule her on.

4. Teach a kid that taking a life has consequences instead of becoming somewhat famous from it.

5. Stop the media coverage of these events. I think that feeds into some already abhorrent mental processes. There seems to be this attitude of "I have to be more famous by committing a more heinous act to outdo the previous ones". The previous ones being a constant news feed from all channels for weeks. It seemed to have started with Columbine. That was the standard by which the rest had to do better than. Its a way they can be famous and garner some attention that feeds into the sickness already at work.

6. More of a discipline based upbringing. Actions have consequences. Good and bad. Reenforce for the good and punish for the bad. And punishment needs to be more than Take your cellphone away for 2 weeks.

7. I knew the kids that were trouble growing up. Some of knowing that is having my parents teach me, and some is based on simple common sense that we also learn along the way. Make the kids that are bad news pay a consequence for taking that approach.

19. MeAgain

All good ideas.

20. MeAgain

So let me skip ahead to question number two.

2. Can we agree that something must be done about abnormal behavior in relation to mass shootings?

And I'll go ahead and assume everyone agrees with that statement.