On Marriage

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Tumble, Jun 27, 2013.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I got engaged November of 2012 after living with my fiance for about a year, and dating for two years-ish. I really wanted to get married but after taking the first step, I honestly feel like since we are dedicated to each other and very much in love, there's no real reason to get married "right now". Don't rush it, many things can change especially when you're in your early 20s.

2. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

I only mentioned going out on other dates on the basis that if there was any doubt. No other reason. If both parties are fully committed, then of course not.

3. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Maybe I'm a little idealistic but I feel like, if there was any doubt, then you aren't meant to be together.

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

@ Melanie - Well, if the OP is seriously considering marriage, then I for one think it's a committed thing. And I think it's kind of obvious from her initial post on this thread. So, suggesting to date others when they are obviously in a serious relationship, to me, seems like you're not even acknowledging the fact that they are serious about this relationship.

Plus, never even noticing other women isn't a sign that a couple is ready to get married. When the two people are really ready for that step is when they can comfortably admit to each other that they find other people attractive, that they know beauty when they see it, yet they only desire to be romantically committed for the rest of their lives with no one but each other. There's a huge difference there. Never noticing other people to be expected/demanded of your SO is a sign of selfishness on your part in my opinion.

5. LatinoHeat

LatinoHeat Member

21 is too young in my opinion. I met my wife in high school we had a baby when she was 19, moved in with her but we didn't get married until we were 30. You are more matured at that age and know what you really want in life. Not saying you should wait that long , I know my wife almost didn't, lol but you have your whole life ahead of you, get your career in order enjoy traveling, have fun with friends than settle down. But than again you might be a person that is home bound and doesn't like to have much fun.