On a positive note...

Discussion in 'Front Page Stories' started by ZenKarma, Jun 12, 2020.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

With all the world getting crazy and focusing on all the negativity that abounds I thought maybe it's time for a GOOD NEWS thread.

Report the things on a positive note from around yourself, and around the globe. Flat-earthers are also welcome.

From today's read of the news I found the following positive things of note...

Japan had zero Covid-19 deaths one day last week – the first time this has happened for three months.

Australia may be soon joining New Zealand as being virus free. The rates of infection are supposedly dropping rapidly.

Imperial College (a public research university in London) published analysis positing that Europe’s lockdown saved 3.1 million lives in just six weeks.

And today is LOVING DAY! A celebration of the US Supreme Court's decision to allow interracial marriages in all of the United States, eliminating all anti-miscegenation laws in the various states that had been bannig such marriges. Loving Day is not an officially recognized holiday by the U.S. government, despite attempts to make it so.

And lastly for this post I have found this map created by Mark Lawton of Oregon which shows any good news around the globe about COVID-19.

Click this link to see the map:
    Positive Stories During The Pandemic

Have a great day!

Zombiefood, jagerhans, wrat and 4 others like this.
  2. wrat

wrat Member

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I like this topic because I don't always say this, but I don't think the power of positive thinking can be overstated. It will make a difference for you if you let it.

The first thing I saw when I looked at CNN's website this morning was this headline:
    Not inevitable isn't totally positive language, but I think the underlying message is good. He's saying we're not definitely screwed, and that this can improve if we do what we've learned.

I honestly have a new routine and can't even remember what the old normal was, but when this is over I think it will be nice to shake hands again.

Zombiefood and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

A very good idea for a thread Zen.
    Well done!:smiley:

For me the fact that Premier League Football is kicking off in the UK next Wednesday, and every league game is being shown on live TV.

Premier League fixtures and TV schedule: How to watch, which are free and Sky Pick channel | Daily Mail Online

Some you have to pay for, but a hell of a lot not.
    I pay for Sky TV and Amazon Prime TV and some are being shown on national BBC, so a feast of football coming up.
    When will I get out and smell the roses?!
    That's the worry!:smilingimp:
    I have a 75" Samsung QLED TV and the picture is amazing, particularly in 4K and UltraHD.
    I can't wait!
    ---------------
    Premier League fixture and TV schedule CONFIRMED: How to watch rest of the season, which games are FREE and what channel is Sky Pick?

The Premier League countdown is on for the restart of English top-flight football as millions of fans eagerly anticipate its return, following a three month shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The action gets underway midweek with Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City vs Arsenal on June 17, those four teams playing their games-in-hand to level up the table for a final nine matches each.

In the first full round of fixtures, runaway leaders Liverpool will continue their campaign in the Merseyside derby against Everton.

jagerhans, ~Zen~ and Hippiesoul420 like this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

[​IMG]

Hippiesoul420 likes this.
  6. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Lovely..
    A lovely thread.
    I read good news on the site Ever Widening Circles. Check it out for an uplift

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Angelmama

Virginia VS Loving was a landmark case, and Civil Rights was the first cause I ever marched for, with my dad in 1965.
    I recently watched a movie based on the case, entitled 'Loving'. It's on Netflix, and I highly recommend it

Zombiefood and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Our on the ball mods banned another idiot.
    However, I have not laughed as much as much in months as I did watching his fairy tale on the link. :D

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. wilsjane

Did they work that one out one Friday night in the union bar. :)

It is almost as crazy as the guy who they awarded a PhD for his research on twin electron fluorescence.
    His final (totally correct) conclusion was that it was totally random and of no possible use to anyone.
    I could have told him that when I was 13 and playing with light bulbs. ;)

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. ~Zen~

I was hoping you'd catch that one Will!

Having been in a campus union bar or two there is no end of amusement to be found there.

11. wilsjane

I have 2 vividly contrasting memories of union bars.

The first was at Reading, when they opened the new union building that included a theatre that would rival anything anything in London's west end
    During my visit to finalise the set up of the sound system, the students were discussing their first production and needless to say, opinions were varying between a Shakespeare play and a pop concert. Needless to say, I suggested an opera and they took my suggestion really seriously.
    I never knew their final decision

The second was my visit to Brunel for the exciting job of checking that the plumbing in their new £30,000 bathroom upgrade met hygiene and building standards, they had based their design on work that I had done on refurbishment at Heathrow.
    Unfortunately, I was unable to make it on Friday in time for the Freshers opening night, so I drove over on Saturday morning.
    What I walked into was like something out of a war zone. In the guys toilets, their was not a single wash basin, toilet roll, soap dispenser or washbasin that had not been ripped off the wall. and only one of the toilet pans was not smashed. The girls room was sealed off, due to police forensic officers investigating an alleged rape.
    My return visit the following week was also cancelled due to the whole area being sealed off following a stabbing the previous night.
    I never bothered after that.
    The problem was that in the interest of making money, the union management had allowed students to invite friends. All the low life that was barred from every bar and club in town, along with the drug dealers had decided to make the union bar their new local.
    The level of stupidity and lack of common sense among academics sometimes defies belief..

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. ~Zen~

30,000 pounds for a bathroom down the toilet... how sad.

Sort of like the tiny College of the Virgin Islands putting most of their budget (millions of dollars, with a copper roof and marble everywhere) into an outdoor theater to host concerts for fees to make more money. Well, the Hurricanes took care of that, and then the quarantine, so that was that. Maybe they will start teaching instead.

Sambone likes this.
  13. wilsjane

That sounds like something that I would have said. I can always manage to put both feet in it at once and make Jane cringe. :):(:)

You made me laugh, remembering the new Odeon open air cinema that Rank designed and built in Lagos. They tore up the original plans that already existed and started again, saying that the screen still needs to be at the front of a cinema, even if you are sitting on the floor on mats.
    The first Odeon design was rejected due to lack of windows. When the architects asked why a cinema needed windows, they got the immediate reply
    "To escape when (not if) the building catches on fire".

They finally managed to complete the building without a single fire and the engineers had a week to install the lighting and projection equipment.
    To prevent damage, the screen was delivered and installed on the morning of the opening night, much to the amusement of the local people involved.
    Despite having been treated to protect it from the rain, no one had bothered to visit other cinemas in the area and see that when the bad guys appear, the entire audience is jumping up and down hurling everything in sight at the screen. On many films, the screen (a white painted wall) had to be washed down and repainted several times a week, The Odeon screen that was manufactured at Boreham Wood studios cost £5,000 to manufacture and ship.

Then came the opening night.
    The engineers were getting impatient waiting for sunset to line up the projection equipment and just as they were finishing, some idiot turned a light on that reflected right across the screen. More panic and rushing around, before one of the guys setting up the opening casually asked the projectionists if they knew where the switch was to turn off the moon. Needless to say, the original designers had taken this into account, hence the sideways screen.

Rank abandoned the whole project and the building was demolished.
    I said that the whole thing should have been filmed and edited into the latest UK blockbuster.
    I am sure that it would have won the BAFTA award for best comedy since the 1930s.:);):)

jagerhans and ~Zen~ like this.
  14. ~Zen~

I saw a lot of that in the Virgin Islands...

One instance a wealthy heir to some huge fortune arrived and announced he was creating a school for the performing arts.

First he purchased a large property high atop Crown Mountain, up a very very steep road. The building site was almost vertical, and the plans had been drawn up somewhere in Vermont on flat land. Ha!

After several million dollars, and the tearing up of the original plans, then pasting them back together with scotch tape while consuming many bottles of duty-free spirits they constructed a monstrous 500 seat theater with a lower floor consisting of classrooms and offices, literally hanging off the hillside.

The theater upstairs was open along one wall facing the island's harbor allowing the rain to soak all the interior with the first storm. Ruined the screen, sound system, and the lighting booth collapsed as a result of the high winds! Eventually they opened up and began showing classic films on weekends. Somehow I got hired to be the stand by projectionist and was called at the last minute a number of times to run up there and open up the place to show the films. After two or three times doing that, one weekend I arrived and found the screen, projector and sound system gone.

So that was that. The 'school' never had a student as far as I know!

The philanthropist in question had meanwhile drunk himself into oblivion and the project was abandoned, and thieves completely stripped every last sheet of roofing, board, tile, door, etc. A year later there was only a concrete slab!

15. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The public was recently invited to submit names for 50 vehicles that remove ice and snow from public roads in Scotland. By next winter, they'll be painted like the names and images on WWII bombers.

[​IMG]

Here are some of the most creative submissions chosen as part of the naming project:
    1. You’re a Blizzard Harry
    2. William Wall-Ice
    3. Brinestone Ploughboy
    4. Sweet Child of Brine
    5. Tam O’Salter
    6. Lord Coldemort
    7. Carrie Bradthaw
    8. Spreddie Van Halen
    9. Icesweeper Willie
    10. Sleetwood Mac
    As an homage to the late Sean Connery, five of those submitted/selected had James Bond themes:

• On Her Majesty’s Slippery Surface
    • Coldfinger
    • Dr. Snow
    • You Only Grit Ice
    • License to Chill

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Really good news from the US. New rules for dumping heavy metal polluted ash from coal fired power plants is going to shutter dozens of coal plants across the country. This will reduce carbon emissions, make fish from rivers safer, and speed the transition to renewable energy….and keep 336,000,000 pounds of pollution out of public waters. For my entire life a wealthy few have exploited community resources for private gain. “Clean coal” was a myth created to keep the few enriched; there is no such thing. For the few naysayers, Biden has been spectacularly successful at undoing some of the worst vestiges of the nightmares from the previous administration.

Unregulated capitalism has a legacy of poisoning the earth and its creatures including humans. America has a responsibility to be at the lead to heal the earth.

~Zen~ likes this.
  17. Angelmama

Thank you for that. They would do well to watch their step-- Revelation 11:18 warns that God's intention is to "bring to ruin those ruining the earth"

~Zen~ likes this.
  18. Varmint

Varmint Member

Oh, I wish I could've seen that one. I could use a good laugh!

~Zen~ likes this.
  19. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Zamboni’s Daddy among the submissions?

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Really looks like comedy stuff. LOL !