Omnivore's dilemma

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Mar 12, 2007.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

great read! it's in my current pile of books that i'm going through, i'd thoroughly recommend it

:)

2. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Bah.

I think that Pollan provided a shit load of problems without offering any ACTUAL solutions.

He's incredibly self-righteous and not sympathetic or empathetic. Loved the book...can't say I appreciate the message. "Be rich or eat crap." I mean basically the book tells us that what we're eating is destroying our world and our bodies...then tells us that unless we eat food that costs 3x what we're paying at grocery stores that might not actually be available in the first place to 75% of the population, we're screwed?

Still, it's a good read. :p

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

nah, it's not about being wealthy to eat real food. remember the parts of the book that talk about the guy who goes out to hunt his own wild meat? we seriously need to start thinking about sustainability in our lives. what's wrong with growing your own sprouts on your windowsill, or your own tomatoes in your back yard? seeds cost nothing if you save them from year to year. if you dont own land, in many places there are people with more land than they can manage who will trade use of their land for produce. there are seriously lots of ways to eat very well that dont cost in terms of dollars

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

double it with Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
    She's providing one answer (and the two books have some similar sources, which I found a hoot) for omnivores (and really, if she could get past her softball veg bashing, veg*ans, too).
    I don't expect a book to provide all the answers.
    I expect a book to provide questions.