omg, i just realized i need serious help! (weight loss)

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by RyvreWillow, Dec 30, 2004.

1. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

i don't know if i need to vent, or ask for advice, or what...i guess both.

This is about weight-loss, blagh. i detest the very subject, being one of those people who has always been a little chubby, and not caring that it isn't sexy or cute or whatever. Of course, i went through that normal stage, as a teenager, when i thought i was fattest chick who ever lived, while weighing all of 115 lbs...in fact, that's what my driver's license says, but we'll get to just how obsurd that is in a minute.

After giving birth to my son, i weighed 145 (165 while i was pregnant). That sounds like a huge difference, but i felt healthy. While i was carrying my son, i learned what my body needed and all that happy stuff. i had to give away all of my old clothes, because there was no way i was ever getting into them again, but at 5'6" i wouldn't say it's a bad weight.

Then, i stopped careing about myself. I didn't eat badly, but i hadn't exercized since i played softball my sophmore year of high school (i still haven't). I made a couple of half-hearted attempts to go out and walk with the stroller, but i decided it was more trouble than it was worth. And my lack of effort showed.

Before i was pregnant with my daughter, i weighed 165--exactly what i weighed when i was in labor with my son. With that pregnancy, i gained 20 lbs, and lost only 10 of it. I've since gained that 10 back, bringing me up to my pregnancy weight for the second time. 185. I could be wrong, but i think 70 lbs is alot to gain in 4 years.

i hadn't even really noticed (or cared, i guess) that things were getting out of control, even when my dad and grandma started making comments that they were conserned for my health. When i went to my grandma's house, and stepped on a scale (we don't have one in our house) out of curiosity, and i was a little startled. I now weigh more than my dad, and he's a stocky guy, lol.

So anyway, i guess i need some ideas to get me started. First, i don't know how i can get any time to myself; i can't even keep the house clean. The kids are constantly under foot. I can't afford to go to a gym. Walking seems like a logical first step, but that would require alot of time from my husband to watch the kids (he works weird hours). I just can't think of a way to do this without somehow putting pressure on everyone else, and i can't get past all the excuses i'm making.

I hope someone has a few words of wisdom for me, lol.

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

The hardest thing for anyone (I think) is motivation and the will power to stick with it. Maybe you could take the kids to a park and just run around with them. Simply trying to keep up with two small children is excercise!!

You could get a yoga video and have the kids do it with you. Or, do like me and wake up two hours before they get up!! (it's @ 6:35am now). Get one of the pedometer thingies and set a walking goal like 5,000 steps (I don't know if that's a lot or not :p !!) but sometimes visualization helps. Write down your goal weight. Make a chart of all excercises or whatever you want/can do and chart your progress. If you spend some time preparing for doing that may motivate you more to doing it. Uh, does that make sense?

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

this is coming from a chublet herself here willow and i can give ya all i can offer on your thread...dunno how much help it will be but ;)

dont ever have the goal of weighing 115 again,,, man it sounds great n all however, realistically it prolly just aint gonna be that way... n at 5'6" tis pretty thin... at the same time you need to find an ideal goal for you n only you,,, where you feel good,,, where you feel comfortable,,,,i mean for me n my height i should only weigh 115 or so ,,,ummmmmmmmm if i am below 140 i look like death, am told so by everyone around me and quite frankly i feel like shit,,, so at 145 - 150 not only do i not look bad but i feel generally good,

when i had me ruggies n they was small n i felt like i couldnt getaway or go exercisin n stuff ,,,,, i would first ,close my drapes :p..find some bouncy type dancin make me wanna move music n start cleanin,,,, adding bounce move,, jumpin jack type things ,,, arm swings n leg lifts n junk and just generally goof off with the kids,,,, pickin them up n dancin round,,,, dancin withum on my feet,,, gave them dust rags to follow me round with etc,,,,they joined in,,, we all had fun and we all got exercise,,, even as small babies,,,, i daNCED WITH MINE FROM TIME THEY WAS ITTY BITTY N TO (damned cap lock) this day they both remember it enjoy it and is a happy memory for all ... it aint gotta be some rigid ass bustin workout thing ppl make it seem...

i swapped almost all my sugar use into low cal crap,,,, u get used to the nasty taste n then real sugar seems weird after awhile,,, it is unreal how much sugar we truly consume,, specially iffin ya like coffee with it n such.. i always drank a big glass of water if i felt hungry,,, then ate if i still felt hungry...

motivation ,, well sometimes it just aint there n the initial couple weeks of findin some sorta routine is the worst!!!!i had to literally force my self somedays,, but after a few weeks it i went without it for a day it felt weird,,,, and of course the most important is ,,, you have got to want it for yourself,,, and the motivation will sorta come with,,, if you cant stick with something now,, then to me it is saying, there is something more, more underlying even if you dont realize it,,, or the motivation would be more natural thing to you,, not a chore...

good luck and also support helps,,, keep postin here n folks her will cheer you on,,,, tis one good thing from the net that i can find,,, is the support from good ppl out there... and how many other ppl are in same or much the same situation n just dont wanna broach the subject ... luv n lite, dilli

4. David54

David54 Member

I recently started worrying about my weight too. I noticed that I was starting to get winded doing things that didn't used to wind me. So I started eating better. I already get plenty of exercise.

The big thing that sticks out here for me is that you don't want to impose on other people. You know what is best for you, but you don't want to make life worse for your loved ones. Have you talked to them about it? I would think that your husband would be very suportive of you getting in better shape. Getting in better shape would be very good for your children, providing them with a possitive example.

Hmmmmm....

Exercising will actually give you more energy. I know it sounds weird. But it actually happens very quickly. You'll be completely bushed. Sweating and panting and ready to collapse (don't, walking it off will prevent cramping). And then an hour later, you're walking on air.

A few logistics tips...

Get a job that requires physical labor. They keep you in shape. Enroll in a martial arts class that you can attend with your children. If they complain, tell them that you have your needs too. Always remember to stretch before drasticaly increasing your activity level. Become more lively in all of your physical activities. It sounds like diligaf knows what she's talking about. My habit is to take steps two at a time. That will certainly get you in shape. And it will actually give you more time in the day.

Dietary consideration... Avoid eating directly before sleeping. This turns the calories into fat, and also increases risk of diabetes. You'll also sleep better without a full stomach.

The motivation to stick with it should come from how awesome you feel when you're doing it regularly. And try to avoid the mindset of watching weight. If you're turning fat to muscle, you're doing much better for yourself than just loosing fat. Watch how you feel. How many minor chest pains you have. How quickly you get winded during exercise. How long it takes you to recover. How much energy you feel when you're going about your day.

5. greeneyedbaby

greeneyedbaby Member

A good tip is getting a program. This can be expensive,
    but there is a really good FREE program at www.freetrainers.com
    They'll make you a work-out schedule after you fill out a profile,
    and they'll also calculate how many calories, carbs, protein and how much fat you should eat per day.
    I'm registered myself, and I must say, it is absolutely excellent.
    And for getting rid of fat, do cardio.
    Slow jogging, or fast walking is excellent.
    The body will then decide itself where it will get rid of the fat first, so you can't get a flat stomach just by doing crunches.
    But you should also do some fitness excercises, so your body will be nice and firm, and well toned, and won't have much flabby stuff etc.

6. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

Thank you sooo much; you all gave me ideas that i hadn't even thought of! Funny how narrow-minded a person can get when they feel hopeless, lol. Seems like the biggest obstacle to overcome is being determined enough to get started, and i think i'm ready now.

i'm glad i can come in here at 2:30 am, and get some great support :)

Love you all

7. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Take your kids to the park...mallwalk...do yoga. Eat better. Go through your fridge and house and throw out everything that makes you "fat" or isnt healthy. Replace all items with healthy ones. Remember you are also a roll model foryour kids eatin habits and health. Pick up a copy of dr phils weight loss challenge :) read it and do it

8. SuperPlurChick

SuperPlurChick Member

If you have a YMCA in your area you could always join. No matter what your income level is they offer scholarships (free or very reduced price memberships). They also have free babysitting while you work out at most Y's. Check it out if you have one near by (be sure to ask for the membership director).YMCA's receive United Way Funds so they HAVE to offer scholarships. I know, I use to work as a program director for a YMCA. Good Luck!!

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

good to know about the Y, Super plur. How would one inquire? Talk to a director or???
    RyvreWillow, I went facedown in a 5K..the sad story is buried in health somewhere...I hadn't trained and was unprepared. I'm also a bit less fit than I wish to be and motivation is HARD in the cold. I paid for it and am getting my procrastinating nose out of books and into the outdoors (its so much easier in warm weather)
    Sure I can walk to work and back (about a mile with two heinous hills round trip) and I can go to shows and dance (love the I pulled everything feeling the next day) but day to day, esp on days I drive, and for the toning/strengthening... pbbbt. nada.
    I set myself a scary goal and told someone who will hold me to it: I'm run/walking the Bolder Boulder in May. a 10K. My first. Next year, a half-marathon. At 8500 feet high. I don't care if I place, only that I finish.
    My son walks with me, he's disinclined to run, and I remember "baby presses" when he was smaller.
    I used him as the weight as long as I could (my upper body strength is my weakness) and yes, played loud music and danced with him every day for at least two hours. Long naps are good things!
    He meditated with me, gigling but so what?
    I walked for a set number of errands: laundry, groceries, library.
    you mentioned your home is messy, as are most of ours if we were honest or not OCD-inclined (my living space? fine, but don't open any doors) take advantage of cleaning to get you moving. If a fast mop wears you out, use that as a benchmark of excercising. I can sweep my living room in about 10 minutes in a meditative get every last speck sort of way and 3 minutes if I see company coming.Which is better for heart rate? the latter.

10. superNova

superNova Member

you will instantly lose a noticeable amount of weight if you knock out all calorie-laden drinks - no soda! no beer! just water :)

i personally don't think yoga will help you lose much weight unless you are VERY rigorous in your routine (like madonna-level rigorous ;)).

have you thought about hooping? i know we're on a hippie forum so you probably know what i'm talking about - hula hooping with a really big hoop that you can make yourself, if you want to know about it just pm me :) - but it is SO FUN and you can do it to music, kids love it, and you can make it as physically engaging as you want. it's my main form of exercise, i hoop around 30 minutes to an hour per day and it is a wonderful work out.

good luck!

11. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

THANKS greeneyedbaby! that site is pretty good, I just checked it out and registered.

12. drumminmama

heads up, hooping helps two things: tight backs and the side muscles of your waist.
    it's great with that, but the paunch stays! sez a mama who's been hooping since 97

13. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I had a hoola hoop when I was in high school, but after having 7 kids I can no longer make one of those things stay up....believe me I tried a few months ago.

14. superNova

superNova Member

it really depends on how you hoop. i hoop really really high energy - it's more than just standing still waist hooping and throwing in a few over the head moves, which is what most people do - and you're right, that will strengthen your abs and back.

what i do involves a lot of running and jumping around, and i do reps of certain moves (for example, vertical hooping on both sides of my body to work my arms, or squat reps while waist and neck hooping, etc). and i do it on a very very regular basis, not just once in a while, and not just for a few minutes. it DEFINITELY helped me tone up everything in my torso, paunch area included :)

15. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

alright drumminmama and superNova, you've got my attention, lol. I have heard of hooping, but i'm not sure exactly how it's done (besides what i did as a kid, lol). i'm definately interested now.

16. drumminmama

head over to tribe.net the invite's in my sig...plan on reading a lot, and type in hula hooping.
    I make mine from 1 to 1 1/2 inch black pvc (sprinkler systen piping. comes in a big roll)
    with a comnnector.
    Most of mine are as tall as my nose from the ground (this is so they'll fit in the car. I also have a collapsable but it's contrary)
    I have seen some simple add fire wands but that is a bit down your road. ;P
    supernova, where is a good site with tricks (that doesn't sell videos)? I'm a all night slow burner: six sets no drops

17. superNova

superNova Member

http://www.hooping.org talks some about tricks, if you don't really know any, it's definitely a good jumping off point! :) i don't really think about drops i guess, i can really go on indefinitely, but i guess i just get bored if all i'm doing is hooping in place, so i run around, jump, throw it up - anything i can think of. i switched to a lighter weight hoop in october with 3/4" pipe instead of 1" and not so large, it's chest high instead of chin high - it moves a lot faster but doesn't leave you so beaten up. but definitely 1" to start out. hooping.org has a lot of info about hoop making and everything too :)

check out this video - you have to use internet explorer though - http://www.mysterymoon.com/2004/bman.wmv - there are some topless people on that video since it's from burning man, but it shows what i'm talking about about high energy and stuff .. we hoopers are a crazy breed :) it's so fun and so good for you, and it's always a challenge as long as you keep making yourself learn new tricks.

18. greeneyedbaby

greeneyedbaby Member

No problem :)

19. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

just want to wish you good luck!

20. SuperPlurChick

SuperPlurChick Member

drumminmama :) ... To inquire about YMCA scholarship programs just ask for the Membership Director at your local Y.