OLYMPICS: Tokyo, '2020': Latest News (Wolf watch)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WOLF ANGEL, Jul 21, 2021.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Triple Jump Record as Venezuela win GOLD:

upload_2021-8-1_16-46-2.jpeg . . . [​IMG] . . . upload_2021-8-1_16-47-27.jpeg

Venezuela's Yulimar Rojas set a world record - the first to be broken in athletics at the Tokyo Games - as she won Olympic gold in the triple jump.
    Silver medallist at Rio 2016, she jumped 15.67m to smash the previous best of 15.50m set by Ukraine's Inessa Kravets in 1995 - two months before Rojas was born.
    • Portugal's Patricia Mamona jumped a national best of 15.01m to take SILVER
    • with Spaniard Ana Peleteiro also setting a national record of 14.87m to claim BRONZE.

2. WOLF ANGEL

Expelled Belarus Athlete refuses to fly home:

upload_2021-8-1_17-7-29.jpeg
    Krystsina Tsimanouskaya states she was ordered to return home against her wishes after 'complaining about coaches’
    On Friday after she criticised Belarus national team’s management the regime media started a “you are a disgrace to your nation” campaign against her.
    She said she’s now afraid to return to Belarus but the officials took her to the Tokyo airport by force
    upload_2021-8-1_17-8-2.jpeg
    She refused to board the plane home amid reports she will seek asylum in Germany or Austria
    She appears to be at the police station at Haneda airport. Representatives of the Japanese MFA are on their way to her

She has called on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to intervene.
    "They are trying to get me out of the country without my permission," she said in a video posted on the Telegram channel of the Belarusian Sport Solidarity Foundation (BSSF), a group that supports athletes jailed or sidelined for their political views.
    • In a short statement the IOC said it had seen media reports about the sprinter and had asked Belarus's National Olympic Committee for clarification.
    Belarus Olympics: Krystsina Tsimanouskaya refuses to fly home - BBC News

3. WOLF ANGEL

Tie for GOLD in Men's High Jump:

[​IMG]

• GOLD - for Italy in men's high jump!
    • GOLD - for Qatar in men's high jump!
    No one was able to clear 2.39, but

Gianmarco Tamberi . . . upload_2021-8-1_17-19-45.jpeg . . and Mutaz Essa Barshim upload_2021-8-1_17-22-12.jpeg
    had identical records in clearing 2.37m and will share gold!

Maksim Nedasekau wins BRONZE, also on 2.37, on countback.
    upload_2021-8-1_17-26-33.jpeg

Tokyo Olympics: 'Can we have two golds?' - high jumpers share win - BBC Sport

4. WOLF ANGEL

Barrera (ECU) wins women's 76kg GOLD:

Neisi Patricia Dajomes Barrera (ECU) hit all of her lifts, including a monster 118kg snatch and 145kg clean and jerk to run away with the GOLD medal in the women's 76kg category.

upload_2021-8-1_17-31-50.jpeg

She finished with a total of 263kg; 14kg more than Katherine Nye (USA) in SILVER.

A bit of history too - Dajema is the just third athlete representing Ecuador to win a medal at the Olympic Games. And Nye is the first American woman to win silver in weightlifting at the Games!

GOLD: Neisi Patricia Dajomes Barrera (ECU) - 263kg
    SILVER: Katherine Nye (USA) - 249kg
    BRONZE: Aremi Zavala Fuentes (MEX) - 245kg

5. WOLF ANGEL

CHEN Yu Fei (CHN) bags Badmington GOLD:

upload_2021-8-1_17-52-52.jpeg . . . upload_2021-8-1_17-53-35.jpeg
    Chen has just won a record-extending fifth Olympic gold medal in the women's singles for China, and the NOC's first since 2012!
    She defeated TAI Tzu-Ying (TPE) - who finished in joint-ninth place in the event at Rio 2016 - in a pulsating match, 21-18, 19-21, 21-18.

In the Bronze medal match, reigning world champion Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (IND) beat HE Bing Jiao (CHN) in straight games, 2-0.

GOLD: Chen Yu Fei (CHN)
    SILVER: Tai Tzu-Ying (TPE)
    BRONZE: Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (IND)

6. WOLF ANGEL

Lamont Marcell Jacobs claims shock 100m GOLD:

upload_2021-8-1_18-4-49.jpeg

Jacobs, who only switched away from long jump in 2018, streaked clear to win in 9.80 seconds, 0.04 clear of American Fred Kerley.
    Canada's Andre de Grasse won a second successive Olympic bronze in third.
    World champion Christian Coleman and Trayvon Bromell, the world's fastest in 2021, were both absent from the final.
    • Coleman was banned for whereabouts failures after missing three drugs tests, and Bromell was eliminated in the semi-finals.
    Few would have picked Jacobs, who was born in Texas to an American father but moved to his mother's Italian homeland before his first birthday, as the Jamaican great's successor.
    Jacobs only broke the 10-second barrier for the first time in May. "I don't know, it's a dream, a dream, it is fantastic," said Jacobs.

Second-placed Kerley admitted Jacobs was a new name to him.
    "I really didn't know anything about him. It was my first time racing him at the Monaco Diamond League [where Jacobs finished third in 9.99 seconds]," he said. "He did a fantastic job."

GOLD: for Lamont Marcell Jacobs (ITA)
    SILVER: Silver to Fred Kerley (USA) in a PB 9.84,
    BRONZE: to Andre de Grasse (CAN) in a PB 9.89.

[​IMG]

7. WOLF ANGEL

Olympic spirit:

The Olympic spirit was alive and well in Tokyo on Sunday when two runners dramatically collided in the 800 metres semi-finals before helping each other up and jogging side by side over the finish line.

America’s Isaiah Jewitt was about to turn into the home straight when he tripped, began to fall and clipped Botswana’s gold-medal favourite Nijel Amos on the shin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both men tumbled to the track and could only watch as the field sprinted off into the distance.

There were no hard feelings from either party,

[​IMG]

with Jewett offering his hand to help Amos to his feet

[​IMG]

before the pair jogged the remainder of the race in unison.

[​IMG]

© Provided by The Telegraph Nijel Amos and Isaiah Jewett walk to the finish line together - REUTERS

riverman18 likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Current Medal Count

China has the most Gold medals with 24, but the US has the most cumulative medals with 60

1 [​IMG] China 24 15 14 53

2 [​IMG] United States 20 24 16 60

3 [​IMG] Japan 17 5 9 31

4 [​IMG] Australia 14 3 14 31

9. WOLF ANGEL

Mijan Lopez (CUB) wins men's Greco-Roman 130kg gold

[​IMG]
    One of the greatest wrestlers in Olympic history has just won his fourth successive gold medal at his fifth Games.
    Lopez (CUB), who won a silver in the 120kg category at Athens 2004 in addition to his golds, has defeated Iakobi Kajaia (GEO) by a scoreline of 5-0 to claim the gold in what is his last Olympic Games.

What a moment for the 38-year-old; a true icon of the sport.

10. WOLF ANGEL

Team GB wins team eventing GOLD medal: (By James Gray)
    The three-day eventers finished 13 points clear of the Australians

[​IMG]
    It is 49 years since Great Britain and Northern Ireland won gold in eventing (Photo: AFP)

Thirty somethings Tom McEwen, Oliver Townend and Laura Collett weren’t even born the last time Britain won team eventing gold 49 years ago.
    Their rivals had no answer to the British trio, who carried forward the advantage built in the dressage and cross-country to smash gold by a margin of 17.9 points over the jumps.
    The Olympic debutants opened a lead after faultless rounds in Sunday's cross-country phase and retained top spot in Monday's final stage.

SILVER: went to Australia, while the BRONZE went to France
    "It still has not sunk in," Townend told BBC One. "There will be a big celebration and I don't think it'll be with a cup of tea and a biscuit."
    It capped a remarkable comeback for team-mate Collett, who was placed in an induced coma for six days after a heavy fall in 2013.
    "Just to be here was more than a dream come true," she said.
    "To be standing here, with a gold medal, I look back where I was eight years ago... I knew I was lucky to be alive yet alone do the job I love.
    "I am super grateful to be on a team with these two guys. It has been an unbelievable week and roll on the celebrations."

11. WOLF ANGEL

LI Wenwen (CHN) wins women's +87kg gold:

[​IMG]

LI provies why she is the reigning world champion and world record holder in the total (335kg), clean and jerk (187kg) and snatch (148kg) by cruising to her first Olympic gold medal.
    In the process she set Olympic records in
    the snatch (140kg),
    clean and jerk (180kg)
    and total (320kg) in the process.

Emily Campbell claims SILVER; the first ever Olympic medal for a female athlete representing Great Britain.

Rio 2016 bronze medallist Sara Robles claims a second consecutive BRONZE

12. hotwater

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[​IMG]

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  13. WOLF ANGEL

Hassan wins GOLD:

[​IMG]

The women's 5000m, sees Netherlands' Sifan Hassan win the first of a potential though improbable treble of GOLD.
    They come around to take the bell with three Kenyans, three Ethiopians, and Hassan ahead.
    The lead group is whittled down to five and Hassan makes her move down the back straight!
    Round the bend for the last time but Hellen Obiri is closing the gap.
    Hassan pulls clear on the finish straight and wins GOLD - in 14:36.79!

Obiri (KEN) wins SILVER, and it's Gudaf Tsegay (ETH) with BRONZE.

hotwater likes this.
  14. WOLF ANGEL

Biles on start list for beam final:

[​IMG]

Biles will compete in Tuesday's beam final with the American taking up her final chance of an individual medal at an Olympics where she has withdrawn from four other finals.

The American, 24, has not competed since last week's team final, where she performed on vault but no other apparatus before saying she wanted to protect her mental health.
    The pre-Games favourite, a four-time Olympic champion, has been suffering with the 'twisties', which gymnasts describe as a kind of mental block.
    She subsequently withdrew from the all-around final and other individual finals on uneven bars, vault and floor.
    Her decision to compete in the last individual final represents a chance to pick up a seventh Olympic medal and gives the world the chance of another glimpse of a supreme talent which had been expected to light up the Games.

hotwater likes this.
  15. hotwater

Latest news:

skater calls quarantine hotel conditions ‘inhumane’

By Zach Rosenthal, AccuWeather staff writer

An Olympic skateboarder called the conditions in her quarantine hotel “inhumane,”

Candy Jacobs, a Dutch athlete who has been in quarantine for eight days after testing positive for the coronavirus, says that those in quarantine aren’t able to get any fresh air. Jacobs said she and other athletes protested to get a supervised outdoor break, something she did get after having protested. “Having that first breath of outside air was the saddest and best moment in my life," Jacobs said. "Not having any outside air is so inhumane.” Just after arriving in Tokyo, Jacobs tested positive for COVID-19, forcing her into a mandatory 10-day quarantine that caused her to miss her Olympic debut.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  16. WOLF ANGEL

Allman (USA) Wins GOLD the women's discus:

[​IMG]

On her competition
    :

“My first throw felt like a very good opener. My coach and I always talk about being able to set the tone right at the start of the competition, and to come out with a solid mark like that felt good.

[​IMG] . . . [​IMG] .

“It felt like I’d found my footing, but you can never predict a rain delay. It’s hard to get back in the groove (after) that. I wish I could have stayed in that groove and built on that mark, but to win the gold medal feels absolutely amazing. I couldn’t be happier.”
    - - Quotes courtesy of Olympic Information Services.

17. WOLF ANGEL

Tsimanouskaya given Polish visa after refusing 'forced' flight home:

[​IMG]

The sprinter from Belarus who refused her team's order to fly home early from the Olympics has been granted a humanitarian visa by Poland.

Belarus Olympian given Polish visa after refusing 'forced' flight home - BBC News

18. WOLF ANGEL

19. WOLF ANGEL

20. WOLF ANGEL

Biles returns to Olympics to win bronze on beam:

upload_2021-8-3_16-28-12.jpeg

USA's Simone Biles returned to competition with a strong performance in the beam final at the Tokyo Olympics, winning the BRONZE medal behind
    China's 16-year old Chenchen Guan who took GOLD

[​IMG]

and Xijing Tang who won SILVER.

upload_2021-8-3_16-32-24.jpeg