olives?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Samhain, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

do you love them, are they good for you?
    S

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

hm, i love the olive oil~first cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil gets me every time. :)

as far as olives go, i love them in phases. most olives are soaked in lye, so i'm not really sure how healthy that is. i suppose if you could find some traditionally fermented olives that they'd be healthier. <shrug>

3. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

There's sundried olives that we get and they are super intense. One of the best olive oil's of the not TOO expensive nature come from here and I love it, love it, love it.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Believe me fresh olives taste quite disgusting. The first time I tried one from the tree in my front garden I quickly spat it out. you are meant to soak them in salt water over a period of time and keep changing the water. I wonder how they ever had any idea that olives could be in any way edible. There again how did they ever work out maize (sweet corn) could be edible by hybridising it. Non-hybrid sweet corn is completely inedible.

5. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Rawfood.com sells good olives. Their not canned or pasteurized...or soaked in vinegar. Just celtic sea salt and herbs.

It's a fatty fruit, olives...like avocado. Any fruit that has fat is a divine occurence in my opinion...cuz it's a fruit you can basically live on. Karmically pure too...you don;'t have to kill the olive tree to eat...the fruit just drops to the ground. Olives definatley have good fat in them. And olive oil helps lube the digestive tract when you put it on a highly fibrous salad :)

6. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I love black olives, but I'm not all that fond of green ones. Go figure!

7. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

I used to hate them when I was a kid they made me gag.... I love them both now, they are awesome in a greek salad with feta cheese.

Feta cheese and black olives are a marriage made in heaven.

8. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

I love green and kalamata olives. Reg. black olives are pretty good too.

9. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

is that what those purpl-y ones are called...mmmmmmmm

10. torz

torz Member

cant stand olives at all! love olive oil & extra virgin olive oil. i regually keep trying things i dont like tho, i hates mushrooms for 18 years & now i cant get enough of em. maybe one day i will love olives.

11. myself

myself just me

I like them.

12. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

Don't mind black ones, great on salad. HATE green ones, taste like steaming poo.

13. funkadelix

funkadelix Member

I love olives! Especially black olives -- one of my favorite foods. In fact, I think I'll go have some on refried beans now.

14. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

I still clearly remember the first time I tasted an olive. The wishing the meal would end so I could scrub my mouth out afterwards feeling will always stay with me! Foul things:ack2: