Older I Get

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by eccofarmer, May 13, 2004.

1. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

namste undefined

The older i get i find the more i like it.Of course this has not been the case many times in my life.I still get told by family and friends to grow up and get with the times.Nice thing about getting older i found is that when you live your life in away that you feel is more intune with life it shows.plus i am more stronger in my thoughts and views but not too old to learn.I love life more now and do see the spirit of love and light in more people than when i wass younger.How do you feel about getting older???????? :)

2. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I am very happy about getting older...
    aging is very beautiful in my opinion...
    As I get older I am amazed at how different it was when i was growing up then now...its just so different..

3. mimosa

mimosa Banned

I feel the same way, I liked what you said. :D

But why do your family and friends want you to "grow up and get with the times"? These ARE the times, aren't they? Not meaning to disrespect your loved ones, but what are they thinking? what's the definition of growing up? don't ask me, I don't know.

Peace and smiles....

4. sonik

sonik Member

What about if your young, but feel old...

:(

5. mimosa

mimosa Banned

I hear you, sonik. Would you believe I felt that way too at your age? At 25 I thought I was leaving my youth. Then at 30 I got so depressed. But 40 was so different. I felt like I was being rebirthed somehow. Anyone else get this around 40? Now every year things get better and more interesting.

anyway, as a young person, I was always an old soul and a worrier. an anxious firstborn.
    But I like to think I'm finding peace as I age. I wish the same to you. HTH

6. Smudge

Smudge Member

Yes, I'm a firstborn too, and always been an old soul, serious, and responsible,;)

being honest now, I think if I didn't have kids I wouldn't worry so much.
    I don't mean I worry a lot- I'm quite outward looking so don't let worry get a hold.
    But I was 30 before I had my first- am nearly 45 and have had bad health (underactive thyroid which leaves you feeling crap, and so weak), and yet have a 14 year old and an 11 year old.
    I want to be around as long as poss. for them.

Thyroxine tablets were 'upped' last week and yesterday I began to feel happy again for the first time for ages.

Get joy often, deep down, ;) but not happiness, (anyone understand?)

7. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

I'll be 36 next month. I still get carded sometimes for cigarettes so I guess I'm looking pretty good! LOL The greatest thing about getting older is I don't give a rat's ass what I say or wear. I'm me. Deal with it.

8. MrsA-Camper

MrsA-Camper Member

I love getting older. I feel more confident about everything. I used to be shy, which sucks cuz I missed a lot being scared of nothing. Now though, I pretty much do what I want to and don't worry at all about 'appearance'. If I decide to take the long way home, that's ok. I feel brave enough to go places I would NEVER have gone to when I was younger. Being a single mom for 6 years, getting my head together, I found out that I can go anywhere, do anything, and have fun - all by myself! Of course it's fun to be with others, but there is a certain freedom when you are alone, you can come & go as you please and as soon as it doen't please, you can ease on down the road... but yes. Older is good. I still don't feel like an adult though... when will I feel like a 'grown-up'?

Sex is way better too!!

9. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My 26 yr old daughter's due date was Saturday the 15th of may. SO ( typical tarus) the baby is being stuborn. My daughter is going to get "induced" friday the 21. Opps, then the baby will be a Gemini. I'm really looking forward to being a gramps. I'm much calmer now, not so sure about wisdom. Maybe old & foolish enough not to give a dam would discribe it better. I was so uptight when my kids were growing up. I didn't want them to experience the mistakes that I made. Yes, I know, its unavoidable. After all, thats how we learn. I think my daughter will make an excellent parent. But, through out her pregnancy I've been giving her a revised crash course in parenting. All I hear from her is " yes dad, I know". Gee you think she was listening all those years. Hind sight is 20/20, so I can see the mistakes I made with her & the boys. Hummm....I think she will probaly have to make her own mistakes being a parent now. Thats life I guess. I'm just glad I'm alive to be a part of it. She's having a girl, and shes naming her "Albrey". Yeah thats what I thought too. But the more I say it......the more I like it. (especially spoken with a southern accent, which I have). I was just wondering if there was any other hip grams or gramps out there.

10. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

Hey MarkN,another hippie grandpa here.My oldest daughter made me a gramps last year,and she just told us she is doing it again.I am 48 and every body thought I would lose it over being a grandpa,but it is really cool.I spoil her rotten then send her home to mom and dad,the entertainment valve is priceless.I tell them it is payback for all the hell they put me through when they were growing up.
    Anyway congrats,on your soon to be arrival,enjoy you really be surprised at how cool it is.

11. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Getting older hummmmm......Well, it's inevitable that's for sure. I have two teenagers ages 17 and 15. When all their friends are over and chatting about their day I often find myself feeling like I'm 17 again. Then I realize that there are alot of differences in their generation and mine. Yeah each generation has it's issues. But I am soooo thankful that I grew up in the era I did. As far as totally growing up, it will never happen. Often I hear "you should cut your hair you're getting older" or other little remarks. You know what, if they want to grow old and forget the way life feels when you're young than let em. I'm going to keep on smiling and keep on being me. Thought I'd just pass something on that I saved awhile back, here goes......

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult in order to accept the responsibilities of a 6 year old . . . The tax base is lower. I want to be six again. I want to go to McDonald's and think it's the best place in the world to eat. I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make waves with rocks. I want to think M&Ms are better than money 'cause you can eat them. I want to play kickball during recess and stay up on Christmas Eve waiting to hear Santa and Rudolph on the roof.
    I long for the days when life was simple. When all you knew were your colors, the addition tables and simple nursery rhymes, but it didn't bother you because you didn't know what you didn't know, and you didn't care.
    I want to go to school and have snack time, recess, gym, and field trips. I want to be happy because I don't know what should make me upset. I want to think the world is fair, and everyone in it is honest and good. I want to believe that anything is possible. Sometime, while I was maturing, I learned too much. I learned of nuclear weapons, prejudice, starving and abused kids, lies, unhappy marriages, illness, pain and mortality. I want to be six again.
    I want to think that everyone, including myself, will live forever because I don't know the concept of death. I want to be oblivious to the complexity of life, and be overly excited by the little things again. I want television to be something I watch for fun, not something I use for escape from the things I should be doing. I want to live knowing the little things I find exciting will always make me as happy as when I first learned them . . . I want to be six again.
    I remember not seeing the world as a whole, but rather being aware of only the things that directly concerned me. I want to be naive enough to think that if I'm happy, so is everyone else. I want to walk down the beach and think only of the sand beneath my feet, and the possibility of finding that blue piece of sea glass I'm looking for. I want to spend my afternoons climbing trees and riding my bike, letting the grownups worry about time, the dentist, and how to find the money to fix the old car. I want to wonder what I'll do when I grow up, and what I'll be, who I'll be, and not worry about what I'll do if this doesn't work out. I want that time back. I want to use it now as an escape, so that when my computer crashes, or I have a mountain of paperwork, or two depressed friends, or a fight with my spouse, or bittersweet memories of times gone by, or second thoughts about so many things, I can travel back, and build a snowman, without thinking about anything except whether the snow sticks together, and what I can possibly use for the snowman's mouth.
    I want to be six again.

12. Smudge

Smudge Member

I know just what you mean....[​IMG]

Responsibility- who needs it? [​IMG]

Good words... think they have inspired me to write my own one day....

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hippietoad----very nice--very nice----I relate totally-----scratcho-------

14. deezee

deezee Member

i think that you have discovered the basis for one of those quotes that your grandma used to say and you never knew what it meant..."youth is wasted on the young". i know lots of people who would want to go back to being young say 20-25 (that's young where i come from these days). but i don't know anyone who would want to go back to being young WITHOUT the knowledge they possess as an older more experienced person.

have to agree though that your late 30's and early 40's is a great time in life. i think most people don't know who they truly are until this time. for the younger women reading this, i know that most women i know didn't know what being a woman truly was until they hit 40. and it has nothing to do with being married or having kids. it's a coming into your own.

so enjoy your time at this age. it's a fantastic time of life and like everythitng else it's just way too short!

deezee

15. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

I'm a grandma three times over--the oldest is a boy, and his name is "Mixtli".
    That was the name of the protagonist in a book about a tribe of Aztec people my son was reading while his girlfriend was pregnant with the baby (he's 5 now and my son is 28). It's kind of a double meaning too, because Mixtli is of very mixed blood--part white, part black, part Japanese, and part Native American.
    My daughter, who is 27, has two kids--Simon, who is 3, and my only granddaughter, Morning Star (named for her Sioux great grandmother).
    I love getting older, except for the arthritis.
    Being a grandma rules!

16. Teeka

Teeka Member

Another grandmother here. My baby presented me with the most precious little girl, Natalie. I am lucky enough to be able to watch her while Mommy and Daddy works. I am enjoy having Natalie around so much. When things have me down all I have to do is see that little face smile up at her grandma. It is the best medicine any doctor could prescribe.

17. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

So is this about getting older or about names. I don't like getting older. I regret all the years I wasted trying to "fit in" with straight society. I feel much better now that I have come back to my hippie roots. However, my body doesn't feel so good. My body feels old and tired. But my wonderful little guy helps me stay young. I have an almost 2 year old that we adopted when he was 5 months old. I also have five bio kids and 5 bio grandkids. My grands are Leoti, Wemilo, Damien, Kennedy, and Robert. The first two have Native American names. Leoti means Prairie Flower and Wemilo was a Sioux chief. My son is Dakota Garcia. Dakota has been the name of our baby ever since we got married. We always said that if we had a child it would be Dakota. The name went through a process of change as we lost one adoption and then lost another referral.. It was Dakota Rayne. Then Dakota Rhiannon. We settled on Dakota Garcia because Garcia was his birth family's last name. And my husband being the serious Deadhead that he is, it fit right in for us.

Kathi

18. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Other then the physical damage done to me years ago,I like getting older.It gets me closer to going home.Between my wife and I we have 5 kids,and 6 grandkids.Would I want to do it all over again?NO WAY.Once around is enough for me.

19. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

you got that right Homes! One dance with Mickey (disney world) is enough.
    :)

20. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Don't get with the times, man. Don't fall into conformity because of pressure. Be yourself and love those who judge you for doing so.

I'm 20 and I'm way behind the times... and i'm fuckin proud of it.