Old Hippie Here

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Lucysky, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

Exactly! I am DEFINITELY still a hippie!

2. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

You're right, Dudley. It IS a state of mind. But I still have the long hair anyway!

3. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

Yes, I have all of the rolling papers that you mentioned, plus every other flavor. I have camouflage papers, Invisible papers, papers with rainbows, peace signs, happy faces, etc. etc.

4. toolab

toolab Member

Ah, it is so good to hear about all you good folks talk about the hippie spirit. I totally concur with Dudley Do Right's assessment of what a true hippie is. He hit the nail right on the proverbial head. When I was young, I looked the part with the long hair and clothes, but now that I'm way older and have to make a living supporting my family, I still long for the days of old. However, I've taught my children exactly what DDR alluded to in his comments. That is the best way to keep the faith going, by teaching the younger folk how things should be, instead of following the status quo of corporate greed, failed government policies, wars, and all of the other ills of our present society. May be one day this world will truly become the land of milk and honey, without wars and heartache. Alas, that is only a pipe dream because man will never learn to live peacefully.

Ali

5. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

Well said, toolab. Talk about corporate greed - we are Enron victims!!! 18 years of employment - faithfully putting 10% of the paycheck into the 401K. I'm sure you know the rest of the story.

6. irsis

irsis Member

My step dad loves to tell stories of the 60's. Here is part of one;

There were three of us who took off for California from Massachusetts. It took us about a month of driving and camping out to finally get there. In the desert the hood of our car flew up and crashed into the windshield and spidered the whole window. The hood was bent out of shape so badly that we had to take it off and threw it away in the sand. So we arrived in Los Angeles in this beat up 55 olds with no hood and the windshield all spidered. We also started picking up every hippie hitchhiker we passed when the man started pulling us over. One of the kids we picked up told the police person who stopped us that just because he had a gun he thought he was a big shot. Well that got him excited and he had us all out of the car searching us and the car for drugs. He finally let us go with a bunch of fines and advice to get out of town. Welcome to California.

[​IMG]

7. MushroomDreams

MushroomDreams Senior Member

I’ve been reading all of your posts for the past half hour. What great stories! I’m lovin it all.

Well, with my long gray hair there is no denying that I’m an old hippy. I was 14 in ’67 but I saw a lot. I saw the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane play for free at a huge love-in at Elysian Park. I took acid at an out door Hendrix concert (for the first time) and hitch-hiked up the California coast to Monterey and San Francisco where the pigs caught me.

But like Dudley Do Right was saying: being a hippy is a state of mind. So even though I’m married and have a house, I’m still very much a hippy.

I still believe that love is the answer. I still believe that, as our little planet, drifts through the cosmos: we're all in this together. We are a tribe of nonconformists. Too independent to follow all of their rules. I still believe that we had(have) the right idea.

Peace

8. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

I was a hippy from as long ago as I can remember. My parents could have been called hippys I guess, but they didn't have hippies when they were young, so it didn't exactly end up that way. I was 11 during Woodstock. My mom tried real hard to convince dad to find a way to let us go, but too much to do on the farm kept us home glued to the tv set for the latest media coverage of Woodstock and the Vietnam war. We didn't get to go to any antiwar protests because of that farm, but my dad made a point of taking us to a black church a couple of times. WHAT SPIRIT! I'm not a church person, but that gave me goose bumps! People jumpin' up and yellin' halleluya, great gospel singin', preacher jumpin' up and down... And we went to a Martin Luther King memorial march a couple days after he was killed. There were a bunch of other marchers who were white, but wouldn't march with the rest of us. We were in the street and they stayed on the sidewalk just a little ways away. Now, figure that out!

I graduated 6th grade wearing love beads, pig tails, and daisies in my hair. I LOVED pot and LSD even before I ever got to try any. That stuff didn't hit my hometown until I was 16 and people were coming home from the military in Germany. When I was little I used to go to the local livestock sale and was particularly fascinated with the old farmers rollin' up their hand rolled cigs. I hated tobacco, but I always wanted to do that...

I really agrivated the teachers at school. (Well, some of them) In 7th grade my science teacher demanded to know why I was wearing a black armband every day to school. He tried to argue with me about it, but I didn't think he made any sense...
    I got even with him a couple months later right before Christmas. We had been studying about illegal drugs, and just finished doing a short study on LSD and how it was marketed. I always tried to pretend I knew more than I actually did. But anyhow, I wrapped a sugar cube in Christmas paper and gave it to him for a present. He 'Bout came unglued. He stayed very cool, but you could see steam rollin' out his ears. He told me he realized it was a joke but he didn't think it was funny! Remember when full length skirts came in style, and neru jackets, knickers, And those Crazy HUGE bright flowered bellbottoms? I was always getting sent to the office for wearing stuff like that to school, but there was nothing that they could really do about it. They claimed the way I dressed was a distraction (nobody else dressed that way at first), but there was nothing in the dress code that said I couldn't. I ended up starting some fads, and the teachers lost that one.

I had this blue cordoroy jacket that I sewed an american flag on the back and drew a big black peace sign on it. I was scared to death to wear it at first, I was sure that I'd be arrested and thrown in jail, but after a while I got up the nerve and found the worst I got was little old blue-haird ladies wrinkling their noses up and calling me a dirty hippy. This was a small town, folks, much like Mayberry RFD. At the ripe old age of 15 me and my now husband were the main force of hippidom there for a long time until it caught on. We'd have little smoke-ins in the town square in the middle of the afternoon. Never got in any trouble for it tho, as small as that town was, there was only one town cop and he was cool. Never bothered anyone.

Remember when it was all about burning bras? Well, I did the next best thing. I took them all to school, and recruited some friends, and we hung those things all over the school! From locker handles, from light fixtures in the boys bathroom, from the clocks in the hallways. Some of them kicked around the floor for three days. (wonder where the janitor was?) Never wore one since.

My dad always told me a story of when he quit school. He walked down town and threw his school books in the river. So I did the same thing.

9. irsis

irsis Member

Earthmother; That is such a cool story! I think that's how you become a hippie. You just keep doing far out things and if you can stay alive you become a real hippie. Not many around anymore.

10. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

Yes, earthmother. Definitely a cool story?

11. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

I meant to put an exclamation point instead of a question mark in my last reply. earthmother, thanks for sharing! Anyone else have any cool stories?

12. irsis

irsis Member

Hi Lucysky, I think it's sweet of you to make the effort to reach out and touch the people who post on this thread. My step dad has lots of stories and things he likes to write about, here is another;

I started out being a hippie and I guess I still am one cuz there's no way that I know of to stop being one. You can become other things but if you really lived the hippie life deep down you'll aways be a hippie. I'm not saying this is good or bad I'm just saying you walk through life with a certain mind set that you can't hide or shake off. When I was young it was cool to be a hippie, now it's hard to live the hippie life. But it's still better than being straight.
    Being straight is not a good trip. You start off going to school to learn how to turn your minds over to the control and power freaks. Smoking dope helps to stop this from happening but you still have to figure out how to keep yourself alive without turning your soul over to these assholes. Smoking dope will show you that you have to be free but it will never bring you freedom. Without freedom, before you know it, they'll dress you up in a suit and you'll be knocking at my door trying to sell me life insurance.

13. Vincent Von Blown

Vincent Von Blown Member

The 60s? Any warhol, Neal Adams, Robert Crumb?

why it was an artistic revaloution.

Straight looking guys like adams, that ended up doing all sorts of crazy things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i'm just another of the oldies .........never made it to woodstock either .....i was pallbearer to 2 classmates that drowned that week ...but i do have original woodstock concert tickets and i have the movie so i guess i will have to content myself with that..those were the good days but today is good too...i never lost my roots to that era ..

15. Sir Stephan

Sir Stephan Member

I didn't make it to Woodstock but I was old enough. I had just turned 19 August 5, 1969. Check out my profile and you'll see me now (not the 'shroom head) and me sticking out of the top of my '63 VW microbus. I tried to attach it, but it wouldn't take.

16. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

That's a great photo, Sir Stephan. Very representative of the "good old days".

17. lisaxsunshine

lisaxsunshine Member

I don't think it's so much it going "in" or "out" of style so much as it is people nowadays stumbling upon it and getting interested.

18. solidbreaks

solidbreaks Member

i know a dude in the keys. he has a head shop and his address is 420. NO KIDDING!

solid breaks

19. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have seen that collection before, on another thread and I don't think it was you that posted it.. I may be mistaken but... what's up with that..

20. thelilhippy

thelilhippy Member

you are the best i wish i was around you guys lived in a time that words cannot describe. i love all of you . this is the whole reason of my hippy beliefs well that and being raised by hippies. kudos to all