okra?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Recipes' started by tigerlily, Aug 30, 2005.

1. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

we got some fresh okra from the neighbor's garden and all i've had is battered, fried, okra... which i dont' think i have the patience for... hehe, does anybody have any recipe suggestions?

2. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

Gumbo. Make some goddamn Gumbo. Ooooooh you won't be dissappointed. :D

There's tons of recipes for Okra, mainly southern ones.

Check out www.southernfood.about.com and you'll find a bunch of stuff. I practically live on that site.

But go with the gumbo. :D Just try it. :D

3. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i agree with fruitbat....gumbo...definetly make some gumbo....

4. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

cool thanks :)

5. asmileneverlies

asmileneverlies Member

Thats great recipe, I have to try it.
    Thanks

6. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

I'm not a vegetarian, but a chicken place around here called Church's (it's a chain!) that has the best fried okra you'll have for under $5. Best munchies food ever. I don't even get the chicken, the okra is so good.

7. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

hehe, we have Church's too... the chicken was always gross, and unfortunately the okra is probably fried in the same oil.... but fried okra is good isn't it? :)

oh and i bought ingredients and am going to try vegetable gumbo tomorrow.. it takes a long to make though :/ so i guess i'll have to start it early and refrigerate it when i go to work. (oh shit i knew i forgot something.. vegetable broth!!!! aghhh.. i'll have to go the store early then :( phooey)

thanks for that link fruity patooty, i'm putting it on my favorites list

8. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

Ahaha. I told you its good. :D

Make sure you make a good roux for that gumbo. It's keeeey. :D The longer your gumbo is alive, the better it'll taste, also. Allllllways better the next day.

9. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Ohhh I love okra, I was somewhat addicted to it before I moved here, everytime I went to the store I'd get okra. I basically put it in everything, especially rice, a good way to eat it is even in a stir-fry, I've done that a few times, another thing that I like to do is just make brown rice and mung beans, add okra, and later tomatoes and some spices of your choice, it's just yummy. I also discovered you can just put them into a salad raw!!! Good eatin'!

10. mazzy

mazzy Member

i used to take okra and just mix it with a lot of vegetables, but add a can of tomatoes to the mix, you can pretty much put anything, but i usually use okra, black eyed peas, eggplant and red and green peppers and onions....its sort of like a mixed vegetable side dish thing...

you can also slice it and toss it with a little bit of olive oil and seasonings, basil, oregano, whatever and put it in the oven, it comes out slimy sometimes, but if you get it right it tastes like fried okra without the batter and oil

good luck