Oklahoma twisters

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 20, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Wolf Blitzer is the biggest piece of condescending Zionist shit in the media. God, I hate that guy.

What a fucking prick, assuming she's a fundamentalist Christian just because she lives in the heartland. I would have told him to go fuck himself live on air.

2. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Be safe!

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was stationed at Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls TX back in the mid-90s we were in the heart of tornado alley and throughout the early & late spring were under constant tornado watches and warnings but were never directly hit :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

I was wondering when a haarptard would suggest such a thing.. :2thumbsup:

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

So far so good. It's been a very inactive few seasons as of lately. My only real worry is the only whopper of a storm we'll see will decide to dance its merry way down here just in time for my wedding. Tornadoes aren't conducive weather for weddings. ;)

6. hotwater

WARNING: SICK JOKE

Why so much focus on the schools the kids were just playing twister :eek:

Hotwater

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You do understand that obama doesn't need to divert anything, because those are not scandals, right?

Of ALL THE THINGS OBAMA HAS DONE, the right wing can only find the two things that are not scandals to call scandals....

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

One report stated that home shelters cost $5,000. I don't know.

Seems you could sink a clean 5,000 gallon concrete septic tank or cistern to use as a shelter and it wouldn't cost too much. But I can see how the price can quickly escalate especially if the house is already built and it's on a small lot. You might not have a place to dig due to rock, water tables, sewage systems, wells, water and electric lines, storm drains, trees, etc. all of which might need to be removed or rerouted. Do you know how much it costs to have a large tree removed or to even move and reinstall a power line so that equipment can operate?
    If the government mandates homes to have shelters, do you think that might cause anyone to be upset?

Shelters in schools are reported to cost one million and that's for new construction. Old buildings would all have to consider the above renovations to accommodate a new shelter. And the shelter has to hold the entire population of the building and would probably need to be ventilated, have waste disposal or storage units, and be stocked with clean water.
    And then the tax payers have to support the idea.

9. hotwater

I know but tell that to Alex Jones [​IMG]

Hotwater

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

This Is What We Do Here In OZ As A Shelter From Bushfires *wild fires*.

Another Good Idea Is To Either Sink A Shipping Container Into The Ground,

Or If There Are Problems With Underground Cables And Pipes, Just

Sink It Slightly Then Pile A Few Tonnes Of Soil Over It...:).

Cheers Glen.

11. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

it's because they can't go after him for things like drone strikes, because they know that their guy would do the same thing.

12. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

If you have a shelter built it can run upwards of 10,000 and more.

If you have what Meagin is saying installed, ( which is where the got the idea from a septic tank ) a precast storm shelter that isn't much bigger than the septic tank is around 5,000 dollars or less if the ground conditions are favorable.
    If you have a safe room built in your house the sky is the limit depending on what size room you have built. All of the above has to have been tested by the goverment and cetified before they are allowed to sell them to the public.

That being said there were about half of the thrity homes that had safe rooms that failed. I do not know if they were rated for an F5 or not but I assume they had to be. Law suites to follow I am sure.

Now they have one where they cut a hole in you garage floor and install one they that is then cemented back in, bad thing with that one is you will most likely get pinned inside until someone will come and get you out. Hence that is where the 100 people were rescued from overnight. The city will also register your home as having any kind of shelter so that they know to come look for you when it is over.

I know of one school in the area that built a new cafeteria afew years ago and they made if F5 tornado proof. It is dome shaped has bullit proof glass-with heavy metal screens over the windows to stop any flying debris. I do not remeber the cost of this building but it would hold and I am guessing at this but I beleive that if you had to you could cram 500 people in there. It s complete with everything. I want to say it was around three million but I am not sure. I do know that I went to it twice last week because I was not going to stay in my house because of the size of these storms.

Yes every school should have one of these and yes every home should have a shelter but it always comes down to the cost or the hard headed person who thinks my house will never get hit. No different than the people who live on the coast and say that a Hurricane will never hit my house. I do not have a cellar but trust me I am going to build one and very soon. I have had three tornados past by my house in the last four years and the one on Sunday just missed me by a mile and the one that hit Moore passed over my house but was not on the ground at that time.

Lucky Me!

13. Kinky Ramona

They're calling for it to possibly get bad here tonight and our phones are already ringing off the hook to go spotting. I'm not so sure I want to wander too far. And these damn charts I'm looking at all have their stories different. One says we've got a 5% chance while east of us has a 10% and west of us is about 2%, then one is just shaded red and yellow and we're in the red, and one is a bar graph showing we've got a medium risk of tornadoes. Dammit, charts, make up your minds!

14. TAZER-69

We are supposed to have a high threat again next week in about 6 days and for about three days long again. It has been pouring down rain all morning... heavy rain and the people in Moore and Shawnee are trying to pick up the pieces.

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

And then there is the water problem in those shelters. How do you keep it from filling with water? Needs to be water tight with an F5 proof vent stack or have drains.

And remember a safe room in a house must not only withstand a 200 mph wind, it must withstand a direct hit from a 5 ton vehicle traveling at 200 mph, along with all the other debris.

Also don't forget the possibility of fire.

16. Kinky Ramona

lol, I guess I changed my mind. Storms seem to be brewing down south, so we'll be headed that way soon. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and pray to all the deities that we don't see an EF-5.

17. TAZER-69

You are so correct, they found pick up trucks inside the hospital that were a block away.

18. TAZER-69

Be careful Kinky.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

ya know what else cost money? the failed drug war...
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2012/mar/13/oklahoma_house_passes_welfare_dr

The fiscal analysis also noted that the bill would cost TANF recipients more than $800,000 in drug testing fees..

and how much again are those shelters..

people die because they dont want to go against the grain of the governments..

There are needs and there are wants. And there are MUST HAVES!!

STORM SHELTERS are MUST HAVES ..

"Even if it didn't save a dime, this legislation would be worth enacting based on principle," :confused:

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Thread does not deliver, I expected it to be about some kind of icecream. :(