Oklahoma twisters

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 20, 2013.

1. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I've made it very well known to the guy in charge of the sirens here in town that I do not want anything to do with those talking sirens. Fuck that shit, that's just too creepy.

Death toll updated to 51. :(

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I just heard 55.

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

That voice came outta the air man.... you shoulda seen me runnin in to the basement. People there thought it was pretty funny. You are used to that shit. lol.

4. Kinky Ramona

Our tornado sirens are air raid sirens. I don't like that, lol.

5. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

haa, missed me.

Even though there are historically NOT tornadoes here, recently there have been funnel clouds, a while back we had some pretty big ones. Not the kind that would kill you if they hit you, or destroy buildings, but pretty awe inspiring considering we generally don't have those at all.

Obviously could NOT be any sort of global climate/weather pattern change...... riiiiight guiz?

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I think I'd rather have an air-raid, than a 2 fuckin' mile wide tornado.

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpceWd8UE4"]5/20/13 Moore, OK Devastating Tornado - YouTube

9. Kinky Ramona

Either one would obliterate the tiny town I live in. A 2 mile wide tornado would just touch down and the town would be gone.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

do you have a tornado cellar or whatever they're called?

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Angela/Skylie's house, right? I remember the story.

I'll never forget the time she posted a nude pic. It was hot.

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I assume you're talking to me even though you quoted KR. ;)

Yes, at Angela's house. Hahaha... well, that story was..memorable to me so I'm sure I mentioned it before. She was laughing at me and so was her dad. Haha.

She posted nude pics on here? I didn't know that ....
    She ever come round here anymore?

13. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Sorry. I am at work posting from my phone.

No, I have not seen her in years. I wonder if she is still hot.

14. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

I'm ok but this was a bad one.

We had one on Monday that hit Edmond and the funnel formed right over Norman. I went to the basement in one of the buildings on campus and around 5 or 6 PM the entire sky was as black as midnight outside.

Today was even worse. This one touched down 8 miles from my apartment, all of the exits on I-35 are closed. It apparently crossed the highway at some point. They are saying it was 2 miles in diameter and had winds 250mph minimum. At those speeds, debris cuts through solid concrete like it's paper. You can see actual pockets of debris on the doppler images they have of it. Enormous, very violent tornado. From what I've heard, there is little question that this was an F5.

I don't know what the national news is reporting, but the local news has the death toll at 91 and that number will definitely be climbing throughout the night and tomorrow when it's light out again. 20 of those 91 were some of the children who were trapped in the school, they apparently drowned. 40 children, 1st through 3rd graders, are still missing from the 2nd elementary school that was destroyed.

I was on campus and no one could stop crying. This is what Moore looks like now. Complete devastation. It looks like an atomic bomb went off.

[​IMG]

15. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-kdL_UOwGo

Incredibly violent storm. Anything in this thing's path was totally destroyed.

What's crazy is that the one that hit Edmond on Monday was an F4 or an F5 too and was possibly spinning even faster. They said that the one in Edmond was a multi-vortex tornado, which happens when the tornado is so large and spinning so fast that the atmosphere literally can't handle it and the tornado splits into multiple vortexes.

16. Kinky Ramona

Nope. When I was about 5 years old, 3 tornadoes ripped through here. It started off as just one just across the lake from where I live now and it lost momentum as it went down in the lake bed, started picking it back up as it came up the hill and literally hopped right over this neighborhood. Our neighbor a street over has a video of it. The storm broke into three different tornadoes and one of them tore right through my grandparents' neighborhood. At that time, my family and I lived in a town 12 miles away, but my mom was here in town getting her hair cut and she got to my grandma's house just in time to hide in the hallway under a mattress. Very minor damage happened to my grandparents' home and they were away on a trip when it happened, but it spurred them to have a cellar built. Soon after that, we moved here and I remember spending a lot of time over at my grandparents' house during storm season every year. We only actually used the cellar a few times that I can remember. Unfortunately, they moved when I was a senior in high school, so we lost our only tornado shelter.

I am, however, part of a small group of certified storm chasers. We're pretty good at getting out of the way of storms, and with the normal amount of warning time, we'd have plenty of time to GTFO. The last tornado I remember was in the middle of the night in like October when I was in 8th grade. Slept right through it, had no idea anything had happened until I went to school the next day and they were all talking about the 7th grade math teacher's home being destroyed in the middle of the night.

We're right on the edge of tornado alley, though. We really don't get many and even though that storm that hit us when I was little was an F-3, no one died.

edit- Death toll in Moore as of midnight is 91. 20 of which were children. :(

17. Kinky Ramona

I would have to say yes. I have a lot of family in Oklahoma and when I was a kid, we'd go to family reunions at Lake Texoma during the summer, usually right as tornado season was waning off. Every single year, I remember driving through at least one area that had been ripped apart by a tornado. Oklahoma City seems to be a particular magnet for the bad ones. I'm thanking my lucky stars right now that my loved ones weren't in the Moore area.

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Neodude, is UCO all right? I'm an alumna.
    In fact, my first semester there, and last at OKCCC, was spring 1999, when I shot the approach of the mile wide tornado May 3. I-35 was closed from 89th to the merge with 77. To get home from OKCCC, I had to go down 44 and get to Norman the back way. Still made it to Cain's in Tulsa the next night for SCI.

I used to vote at Plaza Towers. I lived a few blocks away when my son was small.

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Willy, after 1999, there was a lot of talk about safe rooms, but economics gets in the way, and buyers weren't requesting them.

20. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

21. themnax

themnax Senior Member

things happen in paces where they do. why is it news? humans have such an ego to think nature can't happen to them. they forget there is anything beyond each other and their toys.