Ok I don't get why the USA have a thing against Julian Assange - Educate me please

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 313194, Mar 2, 2020.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Trololololo

2. Ok so there is some education happening for me guys. Thanks.
    There has been an awful lot about him lately in the news.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I bet you its more biased that it was years ago

We just had AAP go bust in our country, too much news is decided on clickbait nowadays, sign of the times

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Exactly. Years ago you used to watch the news report and Form an opinion, now you're just given the reported opinion and you need to decide if it's true or not.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's a combination of both factors for me. most of the news really is just awful, and i'm really not interested enough to seek out the few exceptions.

Irminsul likes this.
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

You're exactly right. I just want someone to tell me what the hell happened, not what to think about it.

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well it's all a power game, so you'll never get the real truth. Networks need viewers so they will bend the truth and make up things in order to bring in a crowd of viewers to improve ratings = more money.

When you look at it like that for what it pretty much is its easy to just disengage yourself from everything. The only legit news is the scoreboard section and sports results, not even a weatherman gets it right.

And news stations have started to divide people too. You got all these people in the word screaming and crying about things and they don't realise that they're contributing to part of the problem by regarding the news and information and everything they read as gospel. It's disappointing.

It's like the civil war, news networks tearing families apart, brother from brother.

SuzanneAU1977 likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Back in the day, you used to tune into each network to hear the same report, newspapers ran the same stories you'd buy to read the same result worded a different way. Everybody was in tune with only one story, the story everyone wanted to hear. Now it's just a pitched effort to try and provoke cracks in the political system because everything is the government's fault.

9. DMBFFF

DMBFFF Banned

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I think this one is reasonably objective

Intentionally conspiring to hack Pentagon computers is a different set of laws to passing on whistleblower info

But Manning got released after only a few years. If the UK does extradite him, he'll probably be in jail for only a couple of years

11. DMBFFF

DMBFFF Banned

1. I kinda agree with the video.

2. IMO in this situation it's not really not up to Assange, Manning, or Wikileaks to filter everything if it seriously inhibits getting the salient stuff out. It's akin to a murderer complaining that the police shouldn't have publicized say, a sexual kink or two of his, when it wasn't really relevant to the other evidence gathered for his case—that they should have spent more time in filtering. Oh boo-fucking-hoo if he's guilty.

3. Wasn't it Jefferson that said he'd rather a free press without government than a government without a free press? and he lived during a more dangerous time in the US.

4. I'm not so sure about what Assange was/is faced with state-side. What prevents him from being regarded as an "enemy combatant" and flown over to Gitmo—he ain't American—and I don't think the current or past few Australian PMs would be all choked up about him going to Gitmo given how Australia is about as much as a vassal state to the US as is, say, Colombia or Egypt. (Here in Canada, our PM's daddy stupidly compared Canada-US relations to a mouse and elephant—let's not upset the Yanks everyone.) The current White House ogre says torture works. and it might have been worse for Manning had it not been for the protests and a President less concerned about Dubya's legacy than Dubya himself—and I think the commuting or the like was during the last days of Obama's second term. (As it was, his main Cabinet secretary got her ass handed to her in November 2016.)

12. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Appreciate the wisdom Charlie

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Six-eyed's idea of fair and balanced news is Russia Today and Info-Wars, both of which he's cited as authorities.

14. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Well they are no less an authority than any of the other divisive reductionist poop flinger organizations out there these days man. Every form of bigot must be catered to

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

But not spread around!

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Maybe re-write that post

That was a mess of weird analogies and minor rants

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats your first post in this thread?

You following him around or something?

18. DMBFFF

DMBFFF Banned

What's to re-write?

How about this:

1. Assange mostly good, a hero.
    2. He's in danger.
    3. Protesters help him to be safer.

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

When I see news articles on subjects that I understand, it is clear that the people writing them are a bunch of idiots that will write almost anything that will sell their newspaper of increase television viewing figures, and hence revenue from the advertising.

Over the last 4 decades, the main things that spring to mind are
    Dangers from asbestos,
    Refrigerants destroying the ozone layer.
    Carbon emissions DIRECTLY causing global warming.

Their is some truth in all of them, but when you look at the full picture, the reactions to all the publicity has done more harm than good.
    I can explain all of them, but the vast majority of people would not understand 90% of my explanations.
    To attempt just one of them here would take hours........ and Skip would probably take out a contract to have me murdered. :yum::yum::yum::yum:

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thanks

It's just that we already have enough crazy old ranters here. That post was a little long winded, made me think, oh great we have another one.

And when I say old, I mean they are really really old

DMBFFF likes this.