Oil products for hair

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by wiccan_witch, May 2, 2006.

1. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

2. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Thanks dude, yeah I know not too wash my hair too often, I only do it when it starts to get greasy -usually every 4-6 days. Thanks for the sites!

3. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

I've heard salon professionals tell me that oils such as coconut oil actually DAMAGE and DRY out the hair. I'm quite confused. Will someone please explain some happy medium between that and why oils have been used for centuries?

4. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Not trying to be a conspirator here, but it would make sense for a salon professional to steer one away from natural products in exchange for the endorsement of the often silicone-rich, unnatural salon products.

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

*nods* yeah, how expensive was that salon shampoo and conditioner they tried to sell you, after telling you of the evils of using coconut oil? When you use harsh chemical shampoo, you have to use harsh chemical conditioner to counter the effect. When you use less damaging natural ways of cleaning your hair, many people find that they no longer need to use conditioner, or use it much less often.

6. *josai*

*josai* Member

yeah, i agree with you (& mamaboogie) on this one!

7. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

Thanks.

Are there any adverse effects with the use of too much coconut oil though?

8. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I make lye soap, and ooposed to other oils, coconut oil does dry out skin and hair, if used alone and not in combo with other oils. I founf this on a site that is totally against using industrial products. (I mean who that makes homemade lye soap istn't against it?)

Other then that, coconut oil might actually be a good oil for oily hair, cuz it lets the oil pruduction decrease....