Oil Prices, Iran, and Venezuela

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Lucifer Sam, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

If China has all this oil, why would it buy oil from russia? if america would get oil from anywhre [other than themiddle east] it robobly would be russia...

2. FreeBird1969

FreeBird1969 Fleas on their paws.

I actually don't think so. I think America is a little too proud for something like that. And if we had to resort to Russian oil mines, I think we would wage war with them first if they didn't immediately oblige.

3. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Wrong again. Proved oil reserves are those quantities of oil that geological information indicates can be with reasonable certainty recovered in the future from known reservoirs. Russia's proved oil reserves are only 51.22 billion bbl. China's proved reserves are only 26.75 billion bbl. Saudi Arabia's proved reserves are 261.7 billion bbl. Iraq's proved reserves are 113.8 billion bbl. Iran's proved reserves are 94.39 billion bbl. China is not even close to being the oil god you make it out to be.

No, the Middle East controls 66% of the world's proved reserves. That includes attainable, untapped oil in China, Russia, and the Gulf of Mexico.

Once oil peaks and becomes in great demand, nations aren't going to be up and ready to sell all of their oil. China and Russia will need their own oil.

What sway toward alternative energy sources? I haven't seen this sway. I hope you're not referring to hydrogen, because it's a joke. Hydrogen salvation will never happen.

Half? More like non-existent...

Waining influence of OPEC? Are you kidding me? They control most of the world's oil!

Heh, you'd like to think that, wouldn't you? The truth is, oil compaines once thought that there were as many as 113 billion bbl of oil in the Caspian Sea. However, further research has shown that the Caspian Sea only contains between 9 and 13 billion bbl.

Why do you think we invaded Iraq? We thought we had found a goldmine with the Caspian Sea, but it was a huge disappointment! What else were we to do besides invade the OPEC nations?

There isn't nearly enough research going into alternative fuel sources. There is simply no way that an alternative fuel source can be put into widespread use before Peak Oil takes its toll. Come on, Dick Cheney knows about this. PNAC addressed this in 1998! Why the hell do you think we have a 'war on terrorism?' To stop the bad guys?

Haha, that's pretty optimistic to say the least... more like a fantasy, really.

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

China, like the US, produces its own oil, but doesn't have enough to sustain itself...

But unlike the US, China has many many more untapped oil reserves.

The only substantial US supplies that are untapped are in the Gulf and and Alaska.

It will take china a long time... at least 30 years, to mine a substantial amount of this oil.

there would be more oil in the Yulin mountains then would ever be needed by China. But mining in these mountains is complicated and time consuming.

Russia also has many many untapped oil wells.

As does the Caspian Sea.

And the Pacific rim.

And Australia.

And Alaska.

And Antarctica.

A lack of oil isn't why we should be looking for alternative enrgy sources.

We should be looking for other energy sources because oil is ineffecient, and envoirmentally hazardous.

5. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

but stil, why would china sell oil [except in fear of military actions] if it has to buy it too...that point still fail to make a lick of sense to me

6. Lucifer Sam

I already shot down this theory.

Australia? Are you kidding? They only have 3.66 billion bbl.

The US as a whole only has 22.45 billion bbl.

Too bad the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty bans all oil production in Antarctica for the next 50 years.

7. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

and for alaska to work to get it down to the states cheeply, you would need a pipline, but that isn't happening anytime soon either...

8. spooner

spooner is done.

everyone here is completely ignoring america's involvement in the military coup by Carmona against a democratically elected leader (hugo chavez), that lasted all of two days before massive protests forced Chavez's reinstation.

is it a coincedence that otto reich (white house assistant secretary for Western Hemisphere affairs) called carmona the day after the coup? or that the bush administration has refused to comment on it? indeed reich has plenty of experience undermining latin america democracy. he was arming the nicaraguan contra rebels against a congressional ban, among other things.

merely one more reason for me to hate america.

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

ah, ah, ah...fuckin american admin...not all yanks are pigs...

10. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Yes, they will be able to use much of their own oil as demand spikes... thus controlling the inflation in the oil price.

You must be speaking from a feasibility standpoint, because there have been many working prototypes using hydrogen as propulsion...

Most chemical engineers say this is easily technically possible... although the problem was once considered to be the innefeciency of converting water into hydrogen, it's now being able to be done while mainting its economic feasibility.

http://www.llnl.gov/str/pdfs/03_96.3.pdf

In fact an Indian company is launching a small line of hydrogen cell powered vehicles in 2008.

http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=59702

For larger scale energy sources, nuclear power is also an option.

How do you figure... the total you just expressed for those few major oil countries was 500 billion.

The worlds oil supply is more like 1.27 trillion, but sticking with the number 500 billion,

If we have 500 billion barrels and the total world consumption of oil is 79 million barrels a year.

If you do the math, if the world oil consumption triples, we'll still have enough for 2,000 years.

Since we have at least double that smount of oil, I don't see what all this fuss is about.

They control most of the untapped wells, but as far as production, they produce about 40%

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/nonopec.html

More like 20, although it could be as much as 50.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/caspianoil1.html

Thats still enough to fuel the entire world for 30 years.

Of course Iraq was about oil... but that doesn't mean theres a dreadful oil shortage... that just means that Americans can't deal with paying OPEC's oil prices at the pump, so we allowed ourselves to get tricked into some bullshit oil war.

I'd say it's a little more paranoid on you part, with 1.3 trillion barrels of proven oil, you're grandkids would easily be able to sustain an oil economy.

The reason for a shift shouldn't be a lack of oil, because thats not going to happen for a while... we need new energy sources because oil is simply a primative fuel which is expennsive to mine, refine, and use, and also is enviormentally hazardous.

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

You think that would really matter if we we're in the oil crunch you seem to be suggesting?

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

if we are finding enerygy sources to not harm the environment, the i would say it is a feesable place to say "no, no we are not drilling there"

13. spooner

spooner is done.

they elected their admin

14. Lucifer Sam

Well, it looks like I can completely defeat your entire argument right here. [​IMG]

We don't use 79 million barrels of oil every year. We use 82 million barrels of oil A DAY! I have no idea where you got that statistic...

15. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

quote: they elected their admin

51% of those who voted elected him, lets get that straight.

your statement is like me saying all people in Vancouver shoot up, instead of the true number which is likely around 50%

16. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

ahhh, correctio, 51% elected him THIS TIME, but if the truth came out earlier in 200, there would be no this admin...

17. seamonster66

very true.....

I'm just not going to let someone make a generalization like that about Americans when nearly everyone I know voted against Bush.....

18. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

im not going to let someone represent canada like that...sorry spooner

19. spooner

spooner is done.

i'm not restricting this too just bush... jfk, eisenhower, reagon, nixon, lbj, clinton, bush senior, all interfered with foreign countries where they had no business. its not bush, its a historical american trend.

almost every president you've elected in the last 50 years, really.

20. seamonster66

and this is the fault of the American people?

Tell me spooner, what should the American people do about it?

When you geta choice between a and b, and both are going to act in a similar way, then there is nothing that can be done.

The US has also helped countries when they needed it.