Oil Paint Set???

Discussion in 'Art' started by Disconformitized, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

for anyone that knows stuff about oil paints,,, What should i look for in getting my first set of oil paints...

I'm experienced with other 2-d mediums, including acrlyic paints...

But what should i look out for when getting a Oil Set...

Like should i got out and get Oil specific brushes / palet knives?

Also is it easier to obtain a wider range of colors with only a couple tubes? like are oils easier than acrlyics when it comes to producing different value & shades from a base tube (and then maybe blacks and whites)?

One last thing, what other mediums should i get. I know i'll need turbinetine (or the equivalent) for cleaning brushes... I know theres other mixing mediums that like help the colors spread and mix, i was reading about the different types. Do i just need lynseed oil? or are different mixing mediums used for different purposes...

And if it makes a difference, I plan on painting abstract surrealist type stuff... nothing too directly representational... I really would pay most of my attention to color gradiation and organic shapes/curves. But mostly color gradiation... is there a certain medium that makes gradiations more dramatic or distinct or smoother?

Thx in advance... I know oils arent cheap, so i should expect to shell out a good 100$ for roughly 8 tubes and then the mediums.... right?

2. Court_lew_0216

Court_lew_0216 True Aquarius

Having had experince with oil painting {my grandmother actually teaches it} i would start out with the basic colors.... a small jar of turpentine..... a bottle of linseed oil..... a big pallette..... a pallette knife or two.... and different sized/angled brushes.......... The part that's going to kill you money wise is the brushes.... they're outrageous. . . but those are the basics for beginning ......

3. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

ok even if u dont know too much about oil paints i still need help....

If i have old canvases with arylic already painted on them, do i need to cover the acrlyic with primer or gesso before i Paint on the same canvases with Oil Paints? Like will the oil soak into the arylic too much? I'm pretty sure i gessoed the cavas before i painted acrylics on them... please help me!!!!

Do i have to reprime them? or is acrlyic a sufficient base? or should i put down a base layer of Oil?

4. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

you should be able to paint oil onto acrylic quite happily (I use acrylics for backblocking colour on an oil canvas alla time) :)

it might lengthen drying time for the oils slightly, remember to plan for that...but otherwise no probs

it doesn't work the other way around tho' (acrylic onto oil)

5. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

haha thx alot, i actually just called a painting teacher from a local artists guild and she told me the same exact thing